μTorrent!

How do you pronounce it? (See the topic for information)

• [you]Torrent

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • [micro]Torrent

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • [mu]Torrent

• [my]Torrent

• Total voters

Waflix

El Psy Congroo
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I've heard from a friend that there are 4 possible ways (maybe even more) to pronounce the name of the freeware ?Torrent, and I was wondering how you pronounce it. Underneath are some explanations of the pronunciations.

[you]Torrent
Since almost no one actually wants to Google the Greek letter mu (?) so that they can post, Twitter etc. it, a lot of people use a letter that looks like it; the letter u. And in the English language you pronounce that as [you].

[micro]Torrent
The Greek letter mu (?) is also the sign for micro when you talk about measurements (micrometre, microgram etc.). And at the official page of ?Torrent they say that it is a very, very small program. And micro means actually that it is very small.

[mu]Torrent
The letter mu (?) is the 12th letter of the Greek alphabet, and the only reason people would use this pronunciation is because they read exactly what it sais.

[my]Torrent
[my] is the Swedish pronunciation for the 12th letter of the Greek alphabet, the mu (?). But why would some other language effect how people worldwide pronounce something? Well, that is because ?Torrent is originally from Sweden. (Original author Ludvig Strigeus on Wikipedia)

So, how do you pronounce it?

Uchiha Obito

Trophies
XP
Country
[you]torrent for me... Still that micro one, maybe it's the most correct...

That freeware is a very tiny program in terms of space in the hard drive, think about it xD

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
m3rox said:
It's "you" torrent (hence the actual name of the folder/file name).
The reason for that being the name of the folder/file is because FAT32/NTFS/other file systems don't support Greek letters in file names. The actual name of the program is ?Torrent. The folder/files are named uTorrent for convenience/compatibility.

hunter291

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
[mu]torrent for me, because it's so damn small
biggrin.gif
just like [mu] (the greek letter is also used in chemistry. i think it was a very very very very small weight.) so for me, it will always be mutorrent
biggrin.gif

Waflix

El Psy Congroo
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I think it's[micro]Torrent, even though I sometimes say [mu]Torrent.

----
m3rox said:
It's "you" torrent (hence the actual name of the folder/file name).

That's probably because not all PC's understand the letter mu (?). And if they would now ?Torrent would just do that to secure that it works.
Also, go to ?Torrent.com and you will see that the logo in the upper-left corner contains a mu (?). If you have started ?Torrent you will see that the green circle also contains a mu (?). So I'm sure it's supposed to be a mu (?).

EDIT:
See this! It says...
[tn=150]http://pix.gbatemp.net/270046/mu%21.PNG[/tn]

Selim873

Nunnayobeesnes
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Technically it should be "Micro"Torrent, but apparently, since I'm in America, it has to be a fancy "U."

But I pronounce it as (You)Torrent. I, honestly, have never heard anybody say it as (Micro)Torrent.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
I say [you]torrent, as I was always to lazy to go see what the actually was. I figured it was a Greek letter, but didn't care to delve deeper. Plus, my friends know what I'm talking about better if I use [you]torrent.

Saken

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Waflix said:
[mu]Torrent
The letter mu (?) is the 12th letter of the Greek alphabet, and the only reason people would use this pronunciation is because they read exactly what it sais.

I'm Greek and i can say that you don't pronounce ? like mu (mew or moo, whatever)
It's actually m-ih the ih being like the i in fish.
That's the correct and proper way of pronouncing it, but people go along and say mew or moo because i don't know why..

Waflix

El Psy Congroo
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Saken said:
Waflix said:
[mu]Torrent

I'm Greek and i can say that you don't pronounce ? like mu (mew or moo, whatever)
It's actually m-ih the ih being like the i in fish.
That's the correct and proper way of pronouncing it, but people go along and say mew or moo because i don't know why..

I'm sorry, but I actually meant Old-Greek. Maybe I am correct then? Because that is what I've learned at school.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/yjrjY6PCb7o?si=xnFz0B2o_adIgLTV +1