Hardware 360 Fat RROD Possible?

WII_GUY

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi,

So I recently bought an old Xbox 360, old fat one, and while it came with the power cable, when I turn it on, the whole ring is red (all four sides), and as I learned, it means insufficient video output(or no cable). This is true, since I dont have an AV cable, I thought is it possible to get an RROD after plugging the AV in, since I have never owned a 360 before, and so would like to know when the three rings come up, and can it happen to me?

Thanks in advance

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
If it's fat and gives you the RRoD you're most likely out of luck. They are ticking bombs and they will go bad.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
You will know once you boot it when everything is correct. Sorry but it's the only way to know.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
from what I remember, four blinking lights = av problem; two blinking lights = overheating; three blinking lights = hardware malfunction. I wouldn't worry about it just yet. try another cable first.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
^ exactly that.

If possible, open up your 360, snip away the back metal fan mesh and reapply some proper thermal paste.
It helps keep the console cooler.

If it's a Xenon/Zephyr, you'll be lucky it'll survive.
Those things run hot.

Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also there's a 12 volt fan mod you can do. The case fan in the phat 360's is rated for 12v but if memory serves me. Correctly, it only receives 5/6v.

It's done by borrowing some power from the DVD drive and patching it into the fan. Google it, I'm on my phone right now, so finding a good tutorial would be a bit tedious lol. It's a fairly simple mod, but a tutorial is helpful if you'vyou've never done it before...

WII_GUY

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Can you suggest any vendors in UK who would sell stuff to RGH this box? I would like it to survive for as long as possible.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Sup