3DS emulator Citra now has "networking" support

The ever-evolving 3DS emulator juggernaut, Citra, has just revealed a new feature; networking support. Thanks to the hard work of the emulator developers, you'll now be able to emulate select 3DS titles, and have wireless support. In the latest Canary Citra builds, local wireless support will work with people across the world.

Unlike single console netplay used in most emulators, users won’t have to worry about desyncs, synchronizing saves, or any other issues typical of netplay. Each user is using their instance of Citra as a unique emulated 3DS that is communicating with everyone else through that particular server.

Some of the following games that function are: Super Smash Bros., the 3DS Pokemon games, and New Super Mario Bros. 2. Luigi' Mansion: Dark Moon and Monster Hunter 3U/4U also work, but have multiple issues. The Citra team claims that future updates will work on optimizing the netcode, and getting more games to work.

Currently, servers created in Citra can hold up to 16 players. High player counts should be avoided for now due to bandwidth issues. In this initial release, each connected Citra instance sends raw packets to the host (or server) and the server then forwards those packets to every single client. As such, with each player added, the bandwidth requirements increase greatly.

:arrow: Source

MENTALDOMINANCE

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes. Your comment is whining about a free service. This small team of developers who have spawned Citra owe you nothing. Without them, we would not have a 3DS emulator at all.

Unless you can code and can provide constructive discussion to achieve wider compatibility, you're just wasting everyone's time.

Everyone can critique, but few can provide constructive criticism. Nobody wants your shitty opinion unless you can be constructive. Take that with you through life, because you'll find people don't care about opinions unless fruit can come of it.

Voicing an opinion that I feel they should work on more important things, that there's too many people working on the project
and that no real substantial progress seems to be being made is not "whining".
It is also not claiming that I am owed anything by the developers.

I repeat - I am so sick of this kind of canned response. I'm also sick of people who claim to speak for others
("nobody wants your shitty opinion") and the general condescending attitude. Do you really feel so insecure making a point
that you have to involve imaginary supporters? It could also be argued that "my shitty opinion" is mostly fact anyhow and
I'm sure many others hold it. I love the scene as much as anyone and I do not intend to offend anyone but I really hate it
when any form of criticism is exaggerated as you are doing with me in an attempt to make me look like I'm just the biggest
dick in the world when really all I'm saying is things could be better. Why is expecting better wrong?

Constructive criticism is pointing out valid and logical truths. Game compatibility has not really changed in months and there
is a point when a project gets too big - as someone else pointed out, it's a chore to simply keep track of all the users
submitting updates and keep the builds straight. No one would say that's a good thing. I don't want a war so I hope all
points have been made and we can move on and have positive discussions that sometimes include criticism without
the critic being crucified or told that he/she can not voice their opinion unless they join a development team and code.

Last edited by MENTALDOMINANCE,
D

Deleted User

I repeat - I am so sick of this kind of canned response.

What other answer are you looking for here? Condescending, maybe, but that is how it is - the community themselves has driven this disconnect.

Game compatibility has not really changed in months

It most certainly has. People are working towards both GPU improvements, I know people are working on IPC (multiprocess - swkeyboard I think), a million other things are going on as well. Reverse engineering is incredibly time-intensive, and most devs just want to work on the obvious stuff, which is perfectly fine.

or told that he/she can not voice their opinion unless they join a development team and code.

You are free to voice your opinion, but when it is the exact same argument that is being made on every single Reddit, GBATemp, Youtube post that we make, people get really, really sick of it. That is how it is.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
these arguments are often the most pointless "obvious" suggestions to make, do you really think devs involved just go "ooooh you know what!, we could fix all these bugs really easily, but what I think people really want is network support, sometimes you have to just have faith that the people who can code an emulator aren't absolute idiots who cannot realise that fixing game compatibity and bugs would be a good thing to do if/when they can

don't get me wrong I can understand peoples frustration if they just want magic to happen so they themselves can just use an emulator, but I would like thing hope that people capable of making emulators understand simple logic and don't need constant prompts to keep breathing

Last edited by gamesquest1,

Jonna

Some sort of musician.
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Canada
Easy really, just go to the edge of the stage, then use a move that can get the person in all directions, beat them by doing a crazy combo in one place so they can't move, then do it again until it wins.
Yes, but the actual method of doing so - save state reloading wouldn't show on the other side as well, and neither would slowing down the game. Unless they specifically program the TASing tools to show up and synchronize on both sides during multiplayer, which would benefit... no one?

Milenium

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
That's some great news, Citra is improving faster than i thought.

I hope we can use features such as DLC/amiibo soon. Also does anyone knows if the citra multiplayer works with FE Fates, or its just smash and pokemon?

Reactions: FIXMY3DS
D

Deleted User

Damn, that's awesome.

I hope melonDS gets support for something like this. I'd love to be able to screw around in Pokemon Platinum's underground with internet friends, since I know nobody irl who owns DPPt.
I know that melonDS is getting WiFi support, but ya can't do the underground over WiFi.

D

Deleted User

I was talking about the build bot and it being behind in updates to Citra Libretro and how it also didn't compile for me, for Windows.
If you are talking specifically about changes, I have to manually rebase it with changes from upstream whenever updates are made there. Building should work fine with the standard Citra build guide, except with '-DENABLE_SDL2=0 -DENABLE_QT=0 -DENABLE_LIBRETRO=1' or similar.

FIXMY3DS

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
If you are talking specifically about changes, I have to manually rebase it with changes from upstream whenever updates are made there. Building should work fine with the standard Citra build guide, except with '-DENABLE_SDL2=0 -DENABLE_QT=0 -DENABLE_LIBRETRO=1' or similar.
I am talking about https://forums.libretro.com/t/citra-and-redream-cores-not-being-updated-on-buildbot/12621/10 . I still can't get it to work for some reason. If the build bot gets fixed, then I'll be happy! :D But in the meantime, Windows users get Citra version a0a4d69 from the Online Updater.
( WHICH IS FROM 27TH OF AUGUST! :wtf: ) I am not going to make a Linux virtual machine just for the 3DS Libretro core. This is also a problem if I want to contribute to Citra Libretro, as I don't know what has been fixed or not. *cough cough* high pitched sound *cough cough* https://github.com/libretro/citra/issues/17 or https://github.com/libretro/citra/issues/16 or https://github.com/libretro/citra/issues/15

Last edited by FIXMY3DS,

FIXMY3DS

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium

Cool that you upgraded Citra Libretro :D In short, can we have the build-bot fixed for Windows?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: I could claw back 14tb by only doing 2 parity disks but I feel like with 13 disks in the RAID...