Homebrew 3DS Homebrew development

sightlight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im interested in this very much. Many awesome adventure games could be made. Homebrew could be well made with this being legal.

I have Petit Computer on my 3DS internal memory.
The 3DS hack hasnt been released.

Im good a basic language so this will be a dream when it comes out.
(Don't know Petit Basic though.)

So no news to this?
I want this tool/game editor.

I wonder if we could "code real-time"

like in gamemaker. where you can see what you are programing.

If anyone has an Idea as to make a game, PM me. Im in. We could google code or something! ASAP.

sightlight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ive been wondering for days now when will this be released. Its looking like its got nice potential and it being a serious developer, the only reason I can think for his delay is that hes thought to the eshop might come true. Just think about it, no piracy, All legal. I got petit computer months ago and I still dont know how to use it. Might be time to look up some tutorials.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Ive been wondering for days now when will this be released. Its looking like its got nice potential and it being a serious developer, the only reason I can think for his delay is that hes thought to the eshop might come true. Just think about it, no piracy, All legal. I got petit computer months ago and I still dont know how to use it. Might be time to look up some tutorials.
The reason for this blog post is to see how many people would actually want to use this. Since it will still take quite some effort to create something really perfect (debugger needs work, the overall editor functionalities could be expanded, there’s no 3D engine at the moment only 2D games that can have a different Z axe for a 3D effect).
It wasn't a product announcement, it was an idea announcement.

sightlight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it looked very pro. I want to be able to program for this on the big screen because im almost blind. any suggestions?

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
why basic?
it's the worst "real*" language I've ever used
there are so many nice interpreted languages
but no its another propriotary basic dialect, AGAIN.

*things like brainfuck does'nt count

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
why basic?

It may not come up in discussions very often, but I think Nintendo's afraid of competing software*. If users could code in more capable languages, they could potentially make things like a competing web browser or store or alternatives to software they'd have to buy on the eshop. By keeping it simpler, it becomes less attractive.

* - Kinda' like how Apple won't allow other browser engines on iDevices, so other "browsers" for iOS are either remote softwares, or just Safari skinned with extra buttons.

Just a theory though. Could be that Nintendo would much rather spend just the time and effort needed to confirm a BASIC interpreter than a Python one.

Thorhian

My CPU's prefer Water
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From what I can tell this is a [potential] publicly released 3DS devkit which can be used to create and play user-made games though a Petit Computer-like 3DS application...

...sounds a lot like Homebrew to me! :)

This certainly seems like a great way of allowing anyone with access to a PC and the eShop the ability to create their own games without needing to hack the system itself. So yeah, I suppose I can't complain, but personally I would still rather hack my 3DS for the benefits that only kernel mode can offer.
Lol, do I know you SoupFace?

Lol, having to use BASIC is a deal breaker for me.... Rydian, Petit isnt even that great on the 3DS, since its stuck in DSi mode.

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
why basic?

I don't see what is wrong with BASIC, it's a very capable language which is just as good as any other for it's intended job. If you can do loops and functions and access files on the SD then there really is nothing game-dev wise that you shouldn't be able to do with it.

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
I don't see what is wrong with BASIC, it's a very capable language which is just as good as any other for it's intended job. If you can do loops and functions and access files on the SD then there really is nothing game-dev wise that you shouldn't be able to do with it.
This is mostly true. A properly done BASIC dialect could be as good as any scripting language. SmileBasic ... um ... has some issues though.

1. To make an if-then block you have to use a subroutine to call the block or use an if-then-goto with DeMorgan's Law. Seriously.
2. To make a while loop you have to use a label and if-then-goto loop. Or a FOR loop that resets its counter every pass, lol.
3. No proper functions with parameters. (thats the biggest annoyance for me)

Even said, with all these limitations and more, Petit Computer is fun as hell and don't regret any of the countless hours I've spent with it.

Thorhian

My CPU's prefer Water
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Except find efficient ways of mem pointers (correct if wrong), and Im not sure if there would be access to opengl functions. Major deal breaker for a console.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    what is nps?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, what about GTA v onl... O Yea the PS3 versión got discontinued
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I feel like the world's cheapest pc build can play gtaV
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    In modern standards
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, then why mine can't?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 What is nps you mentioned?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Because your pc has a hamster innit
    +3
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    R.I.P. LittleBigPlanet PS3 servers
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    LBP2 still the goat tho
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That can be played on ps5 iirc
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm surprised any PS3 servers are still up, tbh
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Alot of manufactures do care about older consoles they just want to whine about piracy
    +2
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I had 4.89 hfw on super slim that was great, but when I got a new hard disk I forgot where the guide was and could only find a guide for 4.90 and its resources
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I think another reason to want to update is if the hfw is at the level of the fw
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    you can sync trophies
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea that's what I'm sitting on now- 4.9, and it seems fine, have had no issues at all
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    I don't know if people play online or such
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My ps3 short circuited during a deep clean still salty about it after downloading 2tbs worth but SteamDeck okay with emulation still just can't run mgs4 worth shit
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea forgot bout trophies. They just silly to me. Just like the xbox achievements. Hey, to each they own tho.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It keeps players in touch with the game like a check list of things to do after they beat it
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa they ruined the gaming experience for me to be honest
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa Im not crazy about getting all of them, i feel like I have something to show for for the time put in
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa If you want to do rgh or 360 mod
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does it matter if you update your 360 or not before trying is it advisable or not
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea I don't pay attention to them really. Or do I try to 100% a game. I just play till story ends/ or I get the girl!
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Yea I don't pay attention to them really. Or do I try to 100% a game. I just play till story...