• Replies 53,765
  • Likes 43

Dizzy_Hunter

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A couple things, first Luma/updater is giving me some problems. Today I updated from 8.1.1 to 9.0 via Luma updater. I went to the Luma app and it booted me to the black screen and allowed me to update. So I did and it worked fine when it stared to update it gave me two options, and I choose the one that said if I was unsure choose this one (cuz noob). And I rebooted perfectly fine back into Luma. I exited and tried to go back in the app, but, now when I try to go back into Luma I get the same black screen and a message at the bottom of the top screen that says “you have the latest stable version” but only gives me two options to click on, either “install stable version” or to “restore back up”. I tried both but they only loop into the same option, and now I just cant get into Luma at all.

Second, I had my brother do the 3ds.guide with the same method that I had used to get CFW so I told him follow the guide as I did, to a T. (so I’m saying this under the assumption that he followed the guide perfectly). after he completed the guide he now has the ability to play foreign games, which was the main point of us getting CFW. But now when I had him install a english patch/ version 1.2 update cia file (this is for MHXX) it doesn't work for him when with the exact same file, it worked perfect for me. At first I thought maybe his SD card is to small but its a 32GB. The only other thing that I can think of is maybe some of his files aren’t up-to-date, because, he got CFW a couple weeks after me, and used the files that I downloaded from the guide (I gave them to him a day after I did it myself, but he dragged his feet).

Uumas

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Hey guys, I want to buy a 2ds in order to install cfw but I am not sure which one to buy so I don't have to buy a flashcart, could anyone please enlighten me?? Thank you!
!
If you want a new 2ds XL you'll need a ~10-20$ flashcard. If you want a basic 2ds you don't need one as long as it's on 11.3 or below.

Reactions: Quantumcat

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
A couple things, first Luma/updater is giving me some problems. Today I updated from 8.1.1 to 9.0 via Luma updater. I went to the Luma app and it booted me to the black screen and allowed me to update. So I did and it worked fine when it stared to update it gave me two options, and I choose the one that said if I was unsure choose this one (cuz noob). And I rebooted perfectly fine back into Luma. I exited and tried to go back in the app, but, now when I try to go back into Luma I get the same black screen and a message at the bottom of the top screen that says “you have the latest stable version” but only gives me two options to click on, either “install stable version” or to “restore back up”. I tried both but they only loop into the same option, and now I just cant get into Luma at all.

Second, I had my brother do the 3ds.guide with the same method that I had used to get CFW so I told him follow the guide as I did, to a T. (so I’m saying this under the assumption that he followed the guide perfectly). after he completed the guide he now has the ability to play foreign games, which was the main point of us getting CFW. But now when I had him install a english patch/ version 1.2 update cia file (this is for MHXX) it doesn't work for him when with the exact same file, it worked perfect for me. At first I thought maybe his SD card is to small but its a 32GB. The only other thing that I can think of is maybe some of his files aren’t up-to-date, because, he got CFW a couple weeks after me, and used the files that I downloaded from the guide (I gave them to him a day after I did it myself, but he dragged his feet).
You "get into Luma" when you switch your console on. You're talking about the updater app there.
Did both of you get the game from freeShop? If not try that first.

Dizzy_Hunter

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You "get into Luma" when you switch your console on. You're talking about the updater app there.
Did both of you get the game from freeShop? If not try that first.
sigh and face palm, thank god I posted this in the noob question thread, because after reading that, it dawned on me that I had read something like that before. So I searched and found that at the end of the 3ds.guide and immediately felt stupid. But seriously thank you for the reply, the luma thing should be sorted out, and the game is a physical import. Regarding the cia problem though the cia patch worked for me but not for him. I'll look into the freeShop stuff either way though.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
sigh and face palm, thank god I posted this in the noob question thread, because after reading that, it dawned on me that I had read something like that before. So I searched and found that at the end of the 3ds.guide and immediately felt stupid. But seriously thank you for the reply, the luma thing should be sorted out, and the game is a physical import. Regarding the cia problem though the cia patch worked for me but not for him. I'll look into the freeShop stuff either way though.
Are you both using cartridges? Yeah try installing it with freeShop instead and see if that helps, and report back.

Reactions: Dizzy_Hunter

biku

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello! I'm trying to install ntrboot (for magnet hax) in my Acekard 2i, but when I select the Acekard 2i mode it says: "NOT SUPPORT RESTORE". And I don't want to lose the normal features of my acekard...

I thought that the ntrboot installed had a way to backup your flashcard so it can be restore after the ntrboot use. Am I doing something wrong?

Thank you and sorry for my bad english.

Crimson Cuttlefish

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tiny chance of being banned from online if you install homebrew and run it while connected to the internet.
So, long as I am not connected to the Internet I can run homebrew? Can I have a CFW, and run regular games while connected to the Internet and it'll work?
What about things like games from freeShop, which I assume needs the Internet to connect to the shop?
How tiny is the tiny chance of being banned?

Uumas

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
So, long as I am not connected to the Internet I can run homebrew? Can I have a CFW, and run regular games while connected to the Internet and it'll work?
What about things like games from freeShop, which I assume needs the Internet to connect to the shop?

The guide has the part where you disable sending system information. As long as you do that you should be fine even if you use Homebrew while connected to internet. I've had cfw for about a year now on 3 consoles and been using Homebrew while connected and none of them have been banned. And even if you get banned you can unban.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Yes
Yes
You can run anything that's a normal game whether gotten from freeShop or not
Very tiny. I haven't heard of anyone being banned since the wave (I personally don't bother avoiding running homebrew while connected to the net, but then I don't really play online much. Other people would care more).

Crimson Cuttlefish

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes
Yes
You can run anything that's a normal game whether gotten from freeShop or not
Very tiny. I haven't heard of anyone being banned since the wave (I personally don't bother avoiding running homebrew while connected to the net, but then I don't really play online much. Other people would care more).
Few final questions, when I install CFW, an I still use the original 3DS firmware? (like, dual-booting) and can I still use services such as StreetPass, Mii Plaza, Friends etc?

Oh, and my 3ds SD card has a folder in the SD labeled "private" that is not in the example sd folder shown in 3ds.guide. Should I worry?

Last edited by Crimson Cuttlefish,

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No. Once the 3ds is modified it's better to not use streetpass on any game. Streetpass send info to nintendo, high risk of ban. Stay far from miiplaza or sharing with friends. Delete and never use any nnid, it logs everything
you're confusing streetpass and spotpass, two different things. using NNID doesn't make a difference.

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He asked about streetpass didn't he. Both streetpass (ingame)and spotpass (settings as suggested by 3ds.guide) must be kept disabled on any cfw system.
"StreetPass" is local communication between systems, primarily when outside it can interact with other systems that it passes by. "SpotPass" involves internet connections with Nintendo servers. the setting related to "SpotPass" that should be disabled involves sending system information.
nnid logs everything leading to a high risk of ban.
the use of an NNID makes no difference in terms of if a console receives a ban. where did you hear that?

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Few final questions, when I install CFW, an I still use the original 3DS firmware? (like, dual-booting) and can I still use services such as StreetPass, Mii Plaza, Friends etc?

Oh, and my 3ds SD card has a folder in the SD labeled "private" that is not in the example sd folder shown in 3ds.guide. Should I worry?
Don't listen to EQQ, you can use all the functions of your console same as if it was not modded.

Last edited by Quantumcat,

Crimson Cuttlefish

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't listen to EQQ, you can use all the functions of your console same as if it was not modded.
Awesome, thanks!

EDIT: Oh boy, more questions.
I'm following 3ds.guide, and I'm on the part where I have the ntrboot flashcart in the 3DS, and the SD card in too. I have my magnet in the right place triggering sleep mode, and I'm holding down power + start + select + X, then releasing and nothing happens. Any tips on how to be successful in this part? Is it patched, am I doing something wrong? I'm stuck.
EDIT2: I got it, nvm

Last edited by Crimson Cuttlefish,

pilladoll

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mexico
Hi, my brothers friend deleted via fbi the system settings from his 3ds (and other things, too) , now he wants to recover them.

His 3ds in on 11.6 usa console. He can run fbi via rosalina.

So the question is.... It is possible to download the systems settings as a cia, so he can access and make an update to restore the things he deleted?

Last edited by pilladoll,

WildcatTM

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I am being exceptionally noob-ish at the moment. I brought a R4i Gold 3DS Plus and got it yesterday. I am following this method: 3ds.guide/flashing-ntrboot-(3ds-single-system). I copied the ds_ntrboot_flasher_dsi.nds file to the flash cart's SD. When I click the flash cart on the 3DS, it loads the white screen, then goes black. I am almost certain I am missing a step. I am going to read another guide shortly, but if someone can confirm that I am indeed fudging up, that would be helpful.

Uumas

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
So I am being exceptionally noob-ish at the moment. I brought a R4i Gold 3DS Plus and got it yesterday. I am following this method: 3ds.guide/flashing-ntrboot-(3ds-single-system). I copied the ds_ntrboot_flasher_dsi.nds file to the flash cart's SD. When I click the flash cart on the 3DS, it loads the white screen, then goes black. I am almost certain I am missing a step. I am going to read another guide shortly, but if someone can confirm that I am indeed fudging up, that would be helpful.
The plus is preflashed with ntrboot, so you can just use the switch inside the cart to change it to ntrboot mode and then follow this: https://3ds.guide/installing-boot9strap-(ntrboot)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night