Homebrew 3DS on Luma ARM9 Takes over 3 minutes to boot

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seriously? That is a pretty relative matter. I've been in a economic hole for a very long time and even a 2nd hand PS2 game for 3 € feels expensive. I can understand when someone feels bad about buying something.

There's no way around this anyway. OP needs a new SD card.
Right well I'm not going to assume someone's financial predicament, but in general SD cards are inexpensive.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Have you tried backing up everything on your SD card and reformatting it with SD Formatter?
That will format it as ExFAT, he should use guiformat or minitool partition wizard.
I was about to suggest he format it though.
@goldtomato Give that a try, back up the card then format it as FAT32 with guiformat or minitool with 32KB or 64KB cluster size and put the files back on. The card may be fine, corruption can cause some weird issues, and formatting will also help to get rid of fragmentation which can slow things down.

Reactions: Majickhat55

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well he never said he couldn't afford one, or that he was against getting one; I was merely saying he SHOULD since they aren't costly. I assume if someone has a $200 console and games, they can more than likely afford an SD card. If they are really struggling, then playing the 3DS should probably not be a priority anyway.
Objectively, yes. But you need to think about why OP doesn't seem too eager to go and get a new one.

blackwrensniper

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well he never said he couldn't afford one, or that he was against getting one; I was merely saying he SHOULD since they aren't costly. I assume if someone has a $200 console and games, they can more than likely afford an SD card. If they are really struggling, then playing the 3DS should probably not be a priority anyway.
Just stop already.

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just stop already.
Stop what? I haven't done anything but reply to someone who is talking to me. I literally just said to the OP to get a new card plain and simple. This guy is the one who started talking to me about economics. I couldn't care less, but if someone speaks to me I reply.

Reactions: Pickle_Rick

Pickle_Rick

I'm a pickle Morty!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"Expensive"
27d0.png

That's for the big ones too. The 8GB ones are like $5. Amazon BTW.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Just stop already.
It's true though, if you can't afford $5 for an SD card how are you paying rent and feeding yourself, surely by the time you got to not being able to afford $5 you would have sold the 3DS for basic living expenses. It just doesn't add up

Osakasan

Trophies
XP
Country
It's true though, if you can't afford $5 for an SD card how are you paying rent and feeding yourself, surely by the time you got to not being able to afford $5 you would have sold the 3DS for basic living expenses. It just doesn't add up

No, it isn't, there's enough reasons for not wanting to sell your 3DS, moreso if you use gaming to relax and evade for a bit. I've been there, i experienced it, it's not pretty.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
No, it isn't there's enough reasons for not wanting to sell your 3DS, moreso if you use gaming to relax and evade for a bit. I've been there, i experienced it, it's not pretty.
So, you can't afford to eat, and you're going to get evicted from your house, and you'll use the 3DS to escape from those stresses. Seems reasonable.

A possibility is the person's a child living at home so has no living expenses, and is under 14 so can't work, but in that case, they can use their pocket money. I used to get $2 a week in the 90s, the normal amount would be higher now. If no pocket money they could save some of their lunch money. If no lunch money and no pocket money the family would probably not be in a financial position to give their child a $200 toy. I guess there could be an extremely niche case where the parents are reasonably well off by won't give their child a single cent. Would be quite rare though I'd think.

Last edited by Quantumcat,

Osakasan

Trophies
XP
Country
So, you can't afford to eat, and you're going to get evicted from your house, and you'll use the 3DS to escape from those stresses. Seems reasonable.

I know it's hard to understand. I already sold all my other consoles tho, and games, it's in fact why i got into the 3DS homebrew scene in first place and started installing legit cias.

You just have to hold to something, or else you end falling. There's a point when you need something to make you smile and/or relax

Sooooooo i can understand why OP may not want to end up getting a new SD card unless it is his only resort.

Also, you may want to think twice before being so judgemental.

Last edited by Osakasan,
Reactions: lAkdaOpeKA

blackwrensniper

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
... There's a point when you need something to make you smile and/or relax. ... Also, you may want to think twice before being so judgemental.
This, exactly. It's incredibly presumptuous to just throw out a line like they are so cheap so you have no reason to not go out and buy one and if you can't you should just sell your stuff and, with the implication they are somehow a lazy failure, reorganize your priorities. It's ignorant and presumptuous to claim to know someones financial situation and often times it can be deeply hurtful.

Just as an example from personal experience here; I remember when Skyrim first came out and I had saved up enough money to buy it while working 84 hour weeks. I had a ton of debt thanks to some things entirely out of my control at the time, which I will not be going into. I had a PS3, I had a 10 year old 55" CRT TV with a 4:3 aspect ratio and I had, finally, enough money to buy a new game without giving up something else or being irresponsible. I put the game in and was quite annoyed to find it only supported 16:9 resolution and would not letterbox to fit my TV. A good chunk of the screen was just missing and while the game was playable I had wanted to find a solution to the problem... there wasn't one btw.

I got told by so many people online at the time that I had picked an expensive hobby and that if I couldn't afford to go out and just buy a new TV, given how cheaply I could get a 17" HD TV, I should just sell all my stuff for gaming, get a job or stop spending my money on useless shit. You know pissed off I was reading something like that? Not only because it made so many assumptions about me as a person but it completely ignored just the basic realities of any given persons circumstances are something you just do not know - so how dare you try to claim to be better than me or anyone else by telling us to sell our things, work harder, earn more money, or whatever magic solution you come up with like you have us figured out.

Offering a solution to a problem is one thing; the OP needs to buy a new SD card. Telling them they can afford it? Just stop. you are being ignorant. Show some empathy.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
This, exactly. It's incredibly presumptuous to just throw out a line like they are so cheap so you have no reason to not go out and buy one and if you can't you should just sell your stuff and, with the implication they are somehow a lazy failure, reorganize your priorities. It's ignorant and presumptuous to claim to know someones financial situation and often times it can be deeply hurtful.

Just as an example from personal experience here; I remember when Skyrim first came out and I had saved up enough money to buy it while working 84 hour weeks. I had a ton of debt thanks to some things entirely out of my control at the time, which I will not be going into. I had a PS3, I had a 10 year old 55" CRT TV with a 4:3 aspect ratio and I had, finally, enough money to buy a new game without giving up something else or being irresponsible. I put the game in and was quite annoyed to find it only supported 16:9 resolution and would not letterbox to fit my TV. A good chunk of the screen was just missing and while the game was playable I had wanted to find a solution to the problem... there wasn't one btw.

I got told by so many people online at the time that I had picked an expensive hobby and that if I couldn't afford to go out and just buy a new TV, given how cheaply I could get a 17" HD TV, I should just sell all my stuff for gaming, get a job or stop spending my money on useless shit. You know pissed off I was reading something like that? Not only because it made so many assumptions about me as a person but it completely ignored just the basic realities of any given persons circumstances are something you just do not know - so how dare you try to claim to be better than me or anyone else by telling us to sell our things, work harder, earn more money, or whatever magic solution you come up with like you have us figured out.

Offering a solution to a problem is one thing; the OP needs to buy a new SD card. Telling them they can afford it? Just stop. you are being ignorant. Show some empathy.
Skyrim was $100, and TVs are several hundred $ (at least), while SD cards are $5, so not really the same thing.

lAkdaOpeKA

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Sorry to interrupt your economics class, but what if OP just doesn't want to buy a new SD because they first want to see if they can save the one they already? Or something else?

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Sorry to interrupt your economics class, but what if OP just doesn't want to buy a new SD because they first want to see if they can save the one they already? Or something else?
If an SD card is dying it is a really bad idea to keep using it. Unless you don't mind randomly losing data at some point in the future (you'd have to back up to your computer frequently and not mind losing data from in between)

Reactions: Pickle_Rick

goldtomato

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello everyone, sorry for the late response.
I just got the new SD card in the mail, however when I try to transfer the files, it won't let me because a few of the files are corrupt.
Is there any way to replace NANDmin.bin? That's the one that is corrupt. The others are just roms and cias that I can just get new ones of.
Thank you.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello everyone, sorry for the late response.
I just got the new SD card in the mail, however when I try to transfer the files, it won't let me because a few of the files are corrupt.
Is there any way to replace NANDmin.bin? That's the one that is corrupt. The others are just roms and cias that I can just get new ones of.
Thank you.
If it's corrupt, don't bother with it. If you try to restore a corrupt NAND backup, you might brick your 3DS. You can make a new NAND backup using GodMode9.

Reactions: Quantumcat

goldtomato

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi. I am running into the error, "Error: Not enough space available..." when trying to backup sysNAND.
Any advice to deal with this?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Thankfully the N64 had a metric ton of other fantastic games. I do kind of hate the controller...