Gaming 3DS RPG List

P_H_I

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fire Emblem Echoes, Shadows of Valentia comes out with all it's tactical RPG glory on May 19
Trailer:

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
is there any RPG for 3DS thats like FF7/9 / I am Setsuna
Hmmm....
Let me think...
Well, Tales of the Abyss is completely different, but it is very JRPG nonetheless.
I suppose Dragon Quest VIII would somewhat fit that.
Of course Bravely Default and its sequel, but they are more like FF5.
There are many more, but let me think about it.

Reactions: jmhannz

jmhannz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmmm....
Let me think...
Well, Tales of the Abyss is completely different, but it is very JRPG nonetheless.
I suppose Dragon Quest VIII would somewhat fit that.
Of course Bravely Default and its sequel, but they are more like FF5.
There are many more, but let me think about it.
im almost done with i am setsuna for the switch and its amazing but its short

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
im almost done with i am setsuna for the switch and its amazing but its short
I would try DQVIII, actually I never played it on 3DS, only for a little time on PS2.
They say it is a good game...
Anyway, check the list of RPGs in the OP, if you want something similar to I am Setsuna, well, look for turn based RPGs (the first ones on the list).

Houodrigoly

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Nice list, Please fix the name of Pokémon Super Rumble Blast, I thought it was an diferente game when I search it, Cause the name is Pokémon Rumble Blast, known in the PAL region as Super Pokémon Rumble. and add (New 3ds Only) for Binding of Issac: Rebirth. And you can add a Partial RPGS section like you did in the DS list, so you can add Monster Hunter titles and another ones.

Last edited by Houodrigoly,

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
OP
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice list, Please fix the name of Pokémon Super Rumble Blast, I thought it was an diferente game when I search it, Cause the name is Pokémon Rumble Blast, known in the PAL region as Super Pokémon Rumble. and add (New 3ds Only) for Binding of Issac: Rebirth. And you can add a Partial RPGS section like you did in the DS list, so you can add Monster Hunter titles and another ones.
I will not be adding the Monster Hunter games as I do not agree that they are RPGs.

Last edited by BORTZ,

Angely

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I don't consider Monster Hunter Series as RPG, RPG has more focus in character micromanagement and traits, Monster Hunter NEVER focuses in characters at all (lack of special skills, lack of personal status, lack of abilities, lack of character development) excluding the series totally out of the RPG genre. I think Monster Hunter is more related to the adventure genre.

I don't agree with you on that as thet have rank & abilties/skills & traits. They can craft/make things. It's not about about micromanagement? It's all about you being/becoming a strong enough hunter to hunt on monsters & survive that's what making it an RPG. It's an action RPG series, eventhough you might not see it their creators & fans see it as action RPG.

Sure it's also an hybrid game, but you have status, stamina etc. you need to heal yourself when wounded rest etc. Rank up by doing quest/missions... strategize how you kill a monster etc...

It baffles me more why people don't see that as RPG. The fact that you can make/fail at making a well-done steak that alters your stats makes it an RPG, as you can say you failed at that or you failed at a mission/quest & didn't get stronger as a result! You have a life & stamina bar, that also says a lot.

Maybe you don't see it as challenging and not much management, but to some it's a lot of management & pretty challenging! It's definitely an adventure game too, but you'll need to take action to ptogress or you won't have an adventure let alone a story for your character. That the games let's you decide your own characters story doesn't mean it isn't an RPG. It's up to you to decide what your characters story is/will be. I'm actually glad there's so much freedom & not a preset story in the Main series like in most other RPG's. MH stories has a preset story though & that's also very fun. The whole MH series has it's own lore, races & even an unique language is being spoken.

Also MH stories has been mentioned several times & it's not the same as main series it has a story & it's complety different when it comes to the battlesystem than main series, yet it'snot seen as RPG either? Even a game like Pokemon Rumble is on the list & it has even more less rpg elements than MH stories tbh.

In Pokemon the trainer doesn't really have a level either he/she needs to capture pokemon & badges to gain status it's the pokemon that have to be collected & trained based on their stats "traits". Yet they're still RPG.

In MH that happens to be the gear/weapons & in MH stories it's also the monsters like in pokemon, but your gear weapon & skills matter too. You also gain things by doing quest/missions.

I would get it more if it was Zelda/Mario, as that game is also very different, with barely any RPG elements,but that's just my opinion. I think MH stories definitely belongs on that list. If MH mainseries not on it it's ok with me too, but MH stories & maybe some other MH spin-offs are hard not to see as an RPG.

RPG is just a huge genre now with lots of subs/tags attached. I find it quite interesting as someone that mainly plays RPG's & simulation games.:)

Last edited by Angely,

JCCG1989

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I don't agree with you on that as thet have rank & abilties/skills & traits. They can craft/make things. It's not about about micromanagement? It's all about you being/becoming a strong enough hunter to hunt on monsters & survive that's what making it an RPG. It's an action RPG series, eventhough you might not see it their creators & fans see it as action RPG.

Sure it's also an hybrid game, but you have status, stamina etc. you need to heal yourself when wounded rest etc. Rank up by doing quest/missions... strategize how you kill a monster etc...

It baffles me more why people don't see that as RPG. The fact that you can make/fail at making a well-done steak that alters your stats makes it an RPG, as you can say you failed at that or you failed at a mission/quest & didn't get stronger as a result! You have a life & stamina bar, that also says a lot.

Maybe you don't see it as challenging and not much management, but to some it's a lot of management & pretty challenging! It's definitely an adventure game too, but you'll need to take action to ptogress or you won't have an adventure let alone a story for your character. That the games let's you decide your own characters story doesn't mean it isn't an RPG. It's up to you to decide what your characters story is/will be. I'm actually glad there's so much freedom & not a preset story in the Main series like in most other RPG's. MH stories has a preset story though & that's also very fun. The whole MH series has it's own lore, races & even an unique language is being spoken.

Also MH stories has been mentioned several times & it's not the same as main series it has a story & it's complety different when it comes to the battlesystem than main series, yet it'snot seen as RPG either? Even a game like Pokemon Rumble is on the list & it has even more less rpg elements than MH stories tbh.

In Pokemon the trainer doesn't really have a level either he/she needs to capture pokemon & badges to gain status it's the pokemon that have to be collected & trained based on their stats "traits". Yet they're still RPG.

In MH that happens to be the gear/weapons & in MH stories it's also the monsters like in pokemon, but your gear weapon & skills matter too. You also gain things by doing quest/missions.

I would get it more if it was Zelda/Mario, as that game is also very different, with barely any RPG elements,but that's just my opinion. I think MH stories definitely belongs on that list. If MH mainseries not on it it's ok with me too, but MH stories & maybe some other MH spin-offs are hard not to see as an RPG.

RPG is just a huge genre now with lots of subs/tags attached. I find it quite interesting as someone that mainly plays RPG's & simulation games.:)

Then first you got to define what a RPG is, like you said, there is many overhaul between genres and TOO many of the reasons you listed to consider MH a RPG are loose and not aplyable to every title (your character develops and get skills and traits in MegaMan Zero series and still it's a platformer isn't it?) and that where you need to separate between real RPGs and another genre games WITH RPG elements.

Reactions: GuyInDogSuit

Angely

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Then first you got to define what a RPG is, like you said, there is many overhaul between genres and TOO many of the reasons you listed to consider MH a RPG are loose and not aplyable to every title (your character develops and get skills and traits in MegaMan Zero series and still it's a platformer isn't it?) and that where you need to separate between real RPGs and another genre games WITH RPG elements.

Megaman is called a platform game, because it's world has a platform build/platform maps. It's not an open world or world with open area where you can mostly roam freely, it also doesn't fit as a strategy style games where battle is & realtime strategy or strategy only. It surely has RPG elements, but it's called a platform game, because of the side scrolling/platform style of the game. Same as with some Mario games. You need to look at the setting of the world too. MH doesn't fit in the platform genre or turn based etc. actually Maplestory fits in the platform genre too, but it's put here as action RPG too, that was my point. The list is biased & some games are in wrong category, but that's just my opnion.

Not to prove main MH series belongs completly in the RPG genre, just to point it has some strong elements (the focus is on you being an hunter, not just mindlessy hunting/killing monters) that can make you see it as an RPG too, yet it's just ignored by some people. It's mostly a combination of action, adventure/survival & RPG, hence it should be put in the action rpg genre, like other similar action adventure games that were put in it.

If you ask the question does your character have a Role or job in MH/any game & you can answer that with a yes then, that's also makes the game fit in an RPG. That'swhy people put the genre rpg as sub in games that're mainly turn based, strategy etc. So Megaman is a platform rpg if you look at the story & setting, it's that simple.

There're just many games you can add rpg to. Some FPS/Shoot, beat em up games can fall into that genre too. RPG = Role playing game. The word Role says it all..., but mostly people look only at the main focus of the game, battlestyle, whether the character has a background story or stats & that makes it hard for some people to decide. A real RPG is a game where you/ your character has a role & it often focus on your characters life/strenght, abilities/talents. You can alter your character with equipment or how your character looks etc./ You can act like someone you aren't. MH falls into that category too, eventhough some people only look at the killing monsters part.

You can even argue that having a character itself makes a game an RPG. It's not your real life/story! It's not you playing sudoku on your own,making a jigsaw, dancing, playing drums, guitar etc. We should actually quit saying RPG elements when there's a Role involved as it's the other way around.-.-'

*sigh* tldr: so basically a game isn't an RPG without a Role. No Role = no RPG that's the truth. Any game that has a Role for you to play is automatically an RPG, simple right? All other genre(s) are a way to point out what kind of elements the game has not the otherway around.;) In an RPG you can even become an object.You're supposed to be the one in control!xD

Last edited by Angely,

JCCG1989

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Megaman is called a platform game, because it's world has a platform build/platform maps. It's not an open world or world with open area where you can mostly roam freely, it also doesn't fit as a strategy style games where battle is & realtime strategy or strategy only. It surely has RPG elements, but it's called a platform game, because of the side scrolling/platform style of the game. Same as with some Mario games. You need to look at the setting of the world too. MH doesn't fit in the platform genre or turn based etc. actually Maplestory fits in the platform genre too, but it's put here as action RPG too, that was my point. The list is biased & some games are in wrong category, but that's just my opnion.

Not to prove main MH series belongs completly in the RPG genre, just to point it has some strong elements (the focus is on you being an hunter, not just mindlessy hunting/killing monters) that can make you see it as an RPG too, yet it's just ignored by some people. It's mostly a combination of action, adventure/survival & RPG, hence it should be put in the action rpg genre, like other similar action adventure games that were put in it.

If you ask the question does your character have a Role or job in MH/any game & you can answer that with a yes then, that's also makes the game fit in an RPG. That'swhy people put the genre rpg as sub in games that're mainly turn based, strategy etc. So Megaman is a platform rpg if you look at the story & setting, it's that simple.

There're just many games you can add rpg to. Some FPS/Shoot, beat em up games can fall into that genre too. RPG = Role playing game. The word Role says it all..., but mostly people look only at the main focus of the game, battlestyle, whether the character has a background story or stats & that makes it hard for some people to decide. A real RPG is a game where you/ your character has a role & it often focus on your characters life/strenght, abilities/talents. You can alter your character with equipment or how your character looks etc./ You can act like someone you aren't. MH falls into that category too, eventhough some people only look at the killing monsters part.

You can even argue that having a character itself makes a game an RPG. It's not your real life/story! It's not you playing sudoku on your own,making a jigsaw, dancing, playing drums, guitar etc. We should actually quit saying RPG elements when there's a Role involved as it's the other way around.-.-'

*sigh* tldr: so basically a game isn't an RPG without a Role. No Role = no RPG that's the truth. Any game that has a Role for you to play is automatically an RPG, simple right? All other genre(s) are a way to point out what kind of elements the game has not the otherway around.;) In an RPG you can even become an object.You're supposed to be the one in control!xD

You're not even properly reading I sad MEGA MAN ZERO WHERE YOU CAN ACTUALLY ROAM FREE ON THE WORLD and, ironically it is something YOU CANT DO IN MONSTER HUNTER do you? Many of your premises are still loose and unnacurate. Most "role" in the RPG meaning says you actually define the traits of your character, like strenght, endurance, health, power, magic or at least gives to you any form to influence in it, Monster Hunter never do that, you've got a predefined set of abilities and strategies to select and equip, every nude hunter is the same to another and even the battle style is defined by your weapon, not your player inherent abilities... so... where is yoru RPG?

Reactions: GuyInDogSuit

Angely

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
You're not even properly reading I sad MEGA MAN ZERO WHERE YOU CAN ACTUALLY ROAM FREE ON THE WORLD and, ironically it is something YOU CANT DO IN MONSTER HUNTER do you? Many of your premises are still loose and unnacurate. Most "role" in the RPG meaning says you actually define the traits of your character, like strenght, endurance, health, power, magic or at least gives to you any form to influence in it, Monster Hunter never do that, you've got a predefined set of abilities and strategies to select and equip, every nude hunter is the same to another and even the battle style is defined by your weapon, not your player inherent abilities... so... where is yoru RPG?

I guess you don't understand the meaning of role-playing? It's basically being able to play a role. stats etc. don't even really matter. All that matters is that you have a role to play in other words & your character being a hunter in MH gives you a role to play. The game literally forces you to play a hunter doesn't it? That's the main setting in that game. You being a hunter stats etc. don't matter. That you expect an RPG to have adjustable stats etc. is your own preference. It doesn't really have to have those things. I already explained that in my previous long post.

How you play that out/what you do is up all to you. You can even make up your imaginative stats if there aren't any visible that's also role-playing! The map doesn't even matter much. Story matters a bit more in most RPG. MH story/information is in the quest & missions.

I think you're being distracted/confused by things like the battlestyle, world stats etc. all those things are optional as an RPG doesn't even need battle, that's also optional. Do you understand?

You can have an RPG without battle, stats etc. that'swhy it's a big/huge genre & exactly the reason why people started to use more genres to point out more about a game. Most videogames are RPG's at their core, but RPG became kind of obsolete nowdays with videogames as most games automatically give you a role to play. A game with job/classes, weapons/items, npc is typical rpg setting.

You don't even need to actively make those up like in the old days on paper/text based games. It's mostly all done for you with videogames, some creators give you more freedom, but most of the time you're bound to the world they created for you. Your character can sleep to proceed to the next day in MH, that also typical something that happens in an rpg.

Back to your question about openworld. If the game is openworld without platforms all over the place like in Maple story, Rayman etc. where you have a sidescroll view or mainly have to climb go down or jump to advance then that game fit in the platform genre, it's that simple...

You can roam free in MH... or else you can't runaway/hide in a different map from a monster, ofcourse there're multiple connected maps, but you can roam free in them...

You can also climb up & go down in MH, if there's a cave/mountain & even fall down & break your sorry bones, eventhough you'll need to rp & imagine that happened...;P

Also I thought you meant Megaman Zero Blast as that's the platform game I found on 3DS. You also didn't say anything about Megaman Zero being aopen world in the post I quoted & replied to.You basically only said that you saw the Megaman Zero Series games as platformer. I suggest you read back on your own post before telling someone he/she didn't read well.

P.s. I think I've been pretty accurate in what I see in MH games as typical things you see in most RPG what makes it also fit in the RPG genre to me, if you don't want to accept it/ don't agree with that's ok. I'm not trying to pick a fight here. I can play that game as an RPG that'swhy it fits in the genre for me, that's all you can disagree, but that's just my opinion, no need to go in agressive mode...

Last edited by Angely,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended