Homebrew 3DS: ssspwn exploit works on firmware 8.x, Smealum hopes for a release “soon”

Status
Not open for further replies.

placebooooo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
smea could you possibly clarify things for everyone here? I know that it is hard, and if you wanted to clarify things you would have done so already. But, please, spare us the confusion and clarify :(

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
NO. I mean a house. Granted it wouldn't be no mansion, but in my area the housing market is pretty messed up. I've seen a 3 bedroom house go for $15000. Of course it would need a little love, but that's where the other $10000 would come in. It won't be brand new, but it would be livable.
True, but he made it sound that he is only releasing it because of this fact.
yeah but so be it....he has his zone which he feels comfortable with, much like you might not think twice about swatting a fly, but wouldnt want to shoot a deer, its his work lets just be glad he found an exploit he feels comfortable releasing rather than a full blown kernel exploit that is never shared

Reactions: SLiV3R

Silentsurvivor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Though VC isn't their main source, it is a decent chunk for them. I've seen a few VC games sell more than 5000, and at $5 apiece that's over $25,000. That is just one game! I could buy a house with that one game.
The VC argument is a difficult one. I mean sure there's the VC, but what about the other thousands of NES games that are either rare or expensive, out of production, forgotten, which will never ever be released on the VC, and can only be played because there's a ROM dump somewhere, or if you hunt down a copy in which case the developers won't even be getting money for that anyway?

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah but so be it....he has his zone which he feels comfortable with, much like you might not think twice about swatting a fly, but wouldnt want to shoot a deer, its his work lets just be glad he found an exploit he feels comfortable releasing rather than a full blown kernel exploit that is never shared

Don't get me wrong. I believe in progress, and without him we would not have the tools we have. For that I am grateful! I just wish there was a free way to load ROM's. Maybe I'll take a few courses at my local community college and learn to program. Then I can stop complaining and actually do it myself! LOL

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
anything that increases interest from other developers is a good thing, i mean smealum started out making homebrew on the DS and now its him doing the hacking, i think its nice to think that even if this is just homebrew it brings forward the next gen of hackers.....maybe a college course and some experience and it might be you spearheading the next generation on development :lol:

Reactions: SLiV3R

placebooooo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't get me wrong. I believe in progress, and without him we would not have the tools we have. For that I am grateful! I just wish there was a free way to load ROM's. Maybe I'll take a few courses at my local community college and learn to program. Then I can stop complaining and actually do it myself! LOL
I always wished I was able to do some programming that would lead to hacks, homebrew, and exploits. I am so interested in exploits and hack, but I have no knowledge at all. Im starting college in about a month and am working towards a dentist. Although I am interested in dentistry, I wish i could do programming as well or learn enough knowledge that will lead to hack and exploits.

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I always wished I was able to do some programming that would lead to hacks, homebrew, and exploits. I am so interested in exploits and hack, but I have no knowledge at all. Im starting college in about a month and am working towards a dentist. Although I am interested in dentistry, I wish i could do programming as well or learn enough knowledge that will lead to hack and exploits.

I'm going for IT, so it wouldn't hurt to take a programming course or two.

Reactions: placebooooo

SLiV3R

3DS Friend Code: 0473-9069-2206
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
Emulators are not against the law. This kind of discussion has been over and over for many decades. remember when Disney and Universal sued Sony for producing Beta max in the late 70s beginning of the 80s =)

An emulator is equal and comparable to Beta max/ VHS/ CD/DVD or whatever. It cant be forbidden unless Disney and such gigantic companies rules over the world ^^

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Emulators are not against the law. This kind of discussion has been over and over for many decades. remember when Disney and Universal sued Sony for producing Beta max in the late 70s beginning of the 80s =)

An emulator is equal and comparable to Beta max/ VHS/ CD/DVD or whatever. It cant be forbidden unless Disney and such gigantic companies rules over the world ^^

Emulators are not illegal, or pirating themselves. It's the illegally obtained ROMs that are. Unless you dump the ROM yourself, you are not legally allowed to own the ROM as a backup. Owning the game is not enough, you must have your own dump of it. That being said, most end users do not have the means to dump most older ROMs. Therefor the ROMs that the emulators are playing are (mostly) illegal.

Reactions: Thorhian

Wolololo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gateway temp? LOL
Have you ever seen Maxconsole bro??? XD
Maxconsole is *owned* by manufacturers of those hacking dongles/devices, etc... it's in their own interest to advertise as much as possible for these devices. That site is majorly biased/corrupted and in no way can be compared to other scene sites, including GBA Temp.

I'm sure you know that, but I'm sure this could get lost on many people reading your post.

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Maxconsole is *owned* by manufacturers of those hacking dongles/devices, etc... it's in their own interest to advertise as much as possible for these devices. That site is majorly biased/corrupted and in no way can be compared to other scene sites, including GBA Temp.

I'm sure you know that, but I'm sure this could get lost on many people reading your post.
Yeah, fair enough. Plenty ads advertise for the cart. XD

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Emulators are not illegal, or pirating themselves. It's the illegally obtained ROMs that are. Unless you dump the ROM yourself, you are not legally allowed to own the ROM as a backup. Owning the game is not enough, you must have your own dump of it. That being said, most end users do not have the means to dump most older ROMs. Therefor the ROMs that the emulators are playing are (mostly) illegal.

Also keep in mind that most users who have ROMs of older games simply don't care at all about their legality (or illegality), because like you said, ROM dumpers are extremely difficult to obtain. The legal status never stopped most people before, just saying.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
If this exploit doesn't allow 3DS piracy for a good year or longer, yet allows 3DS homebrew, then I'd be perfectly fine with it. It's hard to have one (homebrew) without the other (piracy) for extended periods of time. In time, they usually merge into one package. The only other ting I'd like to come out of this is a DS loader/homebrew via the SD card so I can stop using my DSTWO, which runs down my battery's lifespan.

Reactions: the_randomizer

NyaakoXD

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If this exploit doesn't allow 3DS piracy for a good year or longer, yet allows 3DS homebrew, then I'd be perfectly fine with it. It's hard to have one (homebrew) without the other (piracy) for extended periods of time. In time, they usually merge into one package. The only other ting I'd like to come out of this is a DS loader/homebrew via the SD card so I can stop using my DSTWO, which runs down my battery's lifespan.
Yay! It does that to mine too! :D
But yeah, I agree that even if this exploit doesn't allow piracy is enough for me. I'd rather have region-unlocking and homebrew just for my 3DS. It's better than nothing after all.

dubbz82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Smeas exploit won't allow for this though as it requires kernel access, which he's already said this won't have.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Smeas exploit won't allow for this though as it requires kernel access, which he's already said this won't have.

So people should just grow a pair and deal with the fact he doesn't want it to be use as a means of piracy, much less let the grubby greedy cookie jar-reaching hands of Gateway reverse-engineer it.

fenor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

depending on the country you live in, this statement might be false

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1