Homebrew 3DShell - Multi-purpose File Manager for the 3DS

Joel16

Ils ne passeront pas
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Finished Simplified Chinese translation. Seems not a lot there to translate. Will you keep using this platform in the future when new texts needs to be translated?

Yes whenever I add new strings, I'll update the lang.txt resource there as well.

Thanks for contributing!

EDIT: Since we're on a new page now I'll bring this over:

I haven't forgotten about this, I've just been busy with other stuff. Anyways next release should be coming soon, and I want to get two things done before that.

Language: https://t.co/OahTEXQZkM
I've put up a transifex page so that users may submit translations according to their languages. There are 11 languages, and these are the ones official supported by the 3DS. I don't plan on adding any more. It's quite easy, all you have to do is register, hit the translate button and choose your language. Also please try to keep your word choices simple. If your text is too long, and it may result in overlapping.

Themes: https://github.com/joel16/3DShell/wiki/Theme-Guide
I've finally written up a theme guide so that users may submit themes. It would be nice to see a wide variety of themes. I'm willing to also send you test builds which you can use to ensure your theme is working. This is one way of getting me more motivated to continue working on this project, since recently I've been feeling rather demotivated due to the lack of support. I wish to see some new themes soon :d

Here's a look at how much you can customize:

b62ZKtE.png
7xJxlKs.png

Last edited by Joel16,

Billy Acuña

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Awww, somebody beat me on Spanish transtation, I was on the job 7.7
At least I saw translations are almost completly which I asume realice that the release will come pretty soon.
I'm excited for this!!!
Btw @Joel16.
Since Rosalina, Do you have any plans for a 3DSX build? :unsure:

Joel16

Ils ne passeront pas
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Awww, somebody beat me on Spanish transtation, I was on the job 7.7
At least I saw translations are almost completly which I asume realice that the release will come pretty soon.
I'm excited for this!!!
Btw @Joel16.
Since Rosalina, Do you have any plans for a 3DSX build? :unsure:

Yes 3DSX builds are going to be up in the next release. But if someone says "X doesn't work in the 3DSX version", I'm not gonna look into it lol.

Reactions: Billy Acuña

Joel16

Ils ne passeront pas
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Slowly getting close to release, sadly didn't get enough time to finish certain features. Had a nice working text viewer with scrolling and stuff, but then realized it works on CITRA but immediately crashes on the 3DS. (tl;dr, don't rely on CITRA if you're a developer)

Also I forgot to include certain strings in the language resource, so I updated it today on Transfiex. Those of you who have submitted the translations can you please update them? https://t.co/OahTEXQZkM

Screenshot: cause posts without screenshots suck. (As you can see the day and month are not translated, which is one of the reasons why I had to update the language resource)

c8THX5O.jpg

Last edited by Joel16,

Joel16

Ils ne passeront pas
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a nice app.
I'm just wondering that will you also make a 3dsx version.
Cheers,

Joel16 said:
Yes 3DSX builds are going to be up in the next release. But if someone says "X doesn't work in the 3DSX version", I'm not gonna look into it lol.

Basically yes but since some services (example MCU) can't be accessed via homebrew launcher, some functions may not work. Therefore, if someone reports an issue whilst using the 3dsx version and it works fine on the CIA I won't be looking into it.

droople

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Basically yes but since some services (example MCU) can't be accessed via homebrew launcher, some functions may not work. Therefore, if someone reports an issue whilst using the 3dsx version and it works fine on the CIA I won't be looking into it.

It's fine as long as the copy paste delete functions not impacted.
The banwave makes people more cautious.

Cheers,

Reactions: Joel16

Joel16

Ils ne passeront pas
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright I think I might just be ready to release the next set of test builds. However I'm still waiting on translations to be complete. If a translation does not get finished in time I'm going to have no choice but to default that language to English. (Simply because I don't want users to use half of one language, and half of another).

Currently there's only 2 fully completed languages. Please translate here: https://t.co/OahTEXQZkM

Joel16

Ils ne passeront pas
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't notice, that there was more. Just completed the German translation.
I've got one question now, why are some words written in caps lock?

Oh right that's just how some words are expressed in the original file manager for Android (in which this follows the design from), so I decided to keep this consistent with the original app.
Thanks btw!

Last edited by Joel16,
Reactions: seseiSeki

Joel16

Ils ne passeront pas
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Considering there's only 4 languages that are completed, I'm not going to be including language support in the next update. I'd rather wait till the program matures a bit more, so that I can have all the strings translated at once. I've already asked 3 times, and I'm basically tired of having to ask over and over again. Apart from the bad news, I do have some good news. The next test build will drop in the coming week.

In the meantime stare at this gif: (PS, animation is a lot more fluid on an actual 3DS, the gif ruins the quality.)
tfGH82O.gif

Last edited by Joel16,

Joel16

Ils ne passeront pas
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright as I promised, here it is. There was supposed to be a lot more in this update, however due to the lack of support (= lack of motivation), I haven't been working on this too actively. Also considering the core parts of the program have been written to use FS:user, the program should work a lot better than before. With a lot of crap out of the way, I can finally start working on that text viewer/editor and fixing some minor issues for the next release.

3DShell Beta 1 (No longer termed test builds)

Change-log:

• Displays file modified time in file browser. (Display date format according to your current region)
  • Added FTP menu. (Slightly modified version based on mtheall's ftpd)
  • Fixed check box mis-alignment, and now uses the proper icon.
  • New theme manager. (Settings->Theme icon->Select theme) Guide -> https://github.com/joel16/3DShell/wiki/Theme-Guide
  • Removed FRD:U access (security purposes with NNIDs)
  • Added support for the following image formats. (GIF[un-animated], (untested ->) HDR, PIC, PNM, PSD, TGA)
  • Minor keyboard improvements now includes words suggestions to improve user expereince.
  • Now uses your 3DS username set through settings rather than NNID.
  • Now displays build date in version string.
  • Use native FS:User functions instead of stdio for file operations, and file browsing. (With this 95% of file functions now use FS:User)
  • Rename now displays file name.
  • Allow user to rename files without automatically setting the extension.
  • Handle file extensions using fs:user rather than strrchr. This should improve performance since the flags are already set when scanning the directory.
  • Fixed crash when exiting after using the image viewer.
  • Fixed crash when opening a random directory. (Could have easily been reproduced, however the switch from opendir -> FSUSER_OpenDirectory fixed this)
  • This software update improves the quality of the application performance. (Many optimazations and code clean-up, improving overall application stability, more use of native functions)
  • Added a minimal CIA installer, displays CIA info and icon. (Only meant to be used for installing homebrew CIA)
  • Installed CIA, can be instantly launched after it's been installed.
  • Determine read only files (-r--r--)
Issues:
  • Selecting FTP two or more times without exiting the app result in crash, if you try exiting with the start button or the home button.
  • Folders created by the Nintendo 3DS give an inaccurate timestamp (example DCIM, or Themes folder).
  • CIA installing animation had to be stripped.

oruLfW2.png

27clHFh.png

Download

chart

Get themes here

Last edited by Joel16,

Billy Acuña

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Alright as I promised, here it is. There was supposed to be a lot more in this update, however due to the lack of support (= lack of motivation), I haven't been working on this too actively. Also considering the core parts of the program have been written to use FS:user, the program should work a lot better than before. With a lot of crap out of the way, I can finally start working on that text viewer/editor and fixing some minor issues for the next release.

3DShell Beta 1 (No longer termed test builds)

Change-log:

• Displays file modified time in file browser. (Display date format according to your current region)
  • Added FTP menu. (Slightly modified version based on mtheall's ftpd)
  • Fixed check box mis-alignment, and now uses the proper icon.
  • New theme manager. (Settings->Theme icon->Select theme) Guide -> https://github.com/joel16/3DShell/wiki/Theme-Guide
  • Removed FRD:U access (security purposes with NNIDs)
  • Added support for the following image formats. (GIF[un-animated], (untested ->) HDR, PIC, PNM, PSD, TGA)
  • Minor keyboard improvements now includes words suggestions to improve user expereince.
  • Now uses your 3DS username set through settings rather than NNID.
  • Now displays build date in version string.
  • Use native FS:User functions instead of stdio for file operations, and file browsing. (With this 95% of file functions now use FS:User)
  • Rename now displays file name.
  • Allow user to rename files without automatically setting the extension.
  • Handle file extensions using fs:user rather than strrchr. This should improve performance since the flags are already set when scanning the directory.
  • Fixed crash when exiting after using the image viewer.
  • Fixed crash when opening a random directory. (Could have easily been reproduced, however the switch from opendir -> FSUSER_OpenDirectory fixed this)
  • This software update improves the quality of the application performance. (Many optimazations and code clean-up, improving overall application stability, more use of native functions)
  • Added a minimal CIA installer, displays CIA info and icon. (Only meant to be used for installing homebrew CIA)
  • Installed CIA, can be instantly launched after it's been installed.
  • Determine read only files (-r--r--)
Issues:
  • Selecting FTP two or more times without exiting the app result in crash, if you try exiting with the start button or the home button.
  • Folders created by the Nintendo 3DS give an inaccurate timestamp (example DCIM, or Themes folder).
  • CIA installing animation had to be stripped.

oruLfW2.png

27clHFh.png

Download

Get themes here
Thanks for this!!!
This tapatalk thing didn't notify me about this. I hate the fact of this didn't have the support that it deserves, this is an amazing project, pls keep it alive :yay3ds:

Reactions: Joel16

Joel16

Ils ne passeront pas
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for this!!!
This tapatalk thing didn't notify me about this. I hate the fact of this didn't have the support that it deserves, this is an amazing project, pls keep it alive :yay3ds:

Yes, but it's hard to be motivated when there's only a 3 or 4 people mainly supporting the project. Got hyped during the first post but then it dwindled down drastically. To those who are constantly supporting this, I want to thank you. Not to worry though, I'm not gonna drop this, but with the current lack of motivation I don't think I'll be working on this too actively. Sadly enough it seem people here only care about piracy and emulation, and whatever that gives access to homebrew/cfw.

Last edited by Joel16,

Rangnarok

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes, but it's hard to be motivated when there's only a 3 or 4 people mainly supporting the project. Got hyped during the first post but then it dwindled down drastically. To those who are constantly supporting this, I want to thank you. Not to worry though, I'm not gonna drop this, but with the current lack of motivation I don't think I'll be working on this too actively. Sadly enough it seem people here only care about piracy and emulation, and whatever that gives access to homebrew/cfw.

Don't worry about support. Just make it for your own sake (practicing coding, your own use, your own sense of achievement etc). Try your best and do it, seriously. Stop worrying about people and you will feel much better. This project should not be an anchor that you have to drag on, it should be a goal you set to make you better. I do support this project because it's very useful, and ambitious. I enjoy Total Commander on the PC and something similar on the 3DS can only be a good thing for the scene

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/3eGAHfC5P-Y?si=Fo3iEl1pZ4D_O6dp +1