Tutorial  Updated

4.82 Ferrox Cobra CFW and Webman for beginners

First, let's make clear that there's no one size fits all guide, this is most likely not the way to get the maximum amount of features (that would be a non-lite Rebug), it's probably not the most efficient way, it's not 100% compatibility (no single method is), it does not cover PSN packages - however it's decently polished, reasonably detailed, and I've actually tested it :)

I also have a CECH-C (phat, nand, with PS2 CPU) console and assume you want to install stuff to the internal hard drive.
I also assume your console is downgradable to 3.55 and fully stock (although you will be reminded of being sure of such during the related steps)

now i have installed the ferrox 4.82, is it obligatory to do the last steps ? ( installa habbib QA run it and install Rex Cobra 7.5 )? what do you recommend me? also many thanks, does it need to be installed by usb or via package manager?
No, in fact what I personally did is:

Exploit/CFW
  1. Update to 4.82 if you haven't already
  2. Follow the instructions for software "downgrading" until your console triple-beeps and powers off, meaning the exploit should have done its job. I personally used a TDK 8GB, formatted to FAT32 with 4 kB blocks, and set the actual exploit webpage (with the pinkish background) as homepage then rebooted before running the exploit.
    [Note: the above description and link applies to PS3XPLOIT V1. You are free to use V1 or V2, both available from the same page, at your free choice.]
  3. Remove USB, Turn the PS3 back on and let it do the filesystem check...
  4. Download Ferrox 4.82 Cobra and put it on USB, renamed to /PS3/UPDATE/PS3UPDAT.PUP (this is the standard path for OFW or CFW installers).
  5. Insert stick in console again, update from system settings > removable media.
    If it fails to be detected try recovery mode (with the power off, hold the power button until you hear three total beeps and the console is off again, release for 2 seconds, start holding again until it beeps twice in a row = 4 beeps since you released and re-held the button).
    Follow the instructions.

Optional: Install a link to the Cybermodding appstore website
  1. Game > ★ Package installer > System storage > Ferrox mod installer
  2. Game > Ferrox mod installer > homebrew store > install
  3. Network > cybermodding homebrew store (replaces the link to the PS3 manual).
You navigate it like a website (R3 zooms, right stick scrolls, arrows or analog move pointer, X clicks, L1 back, R1 forward in history...)

If you want to practice, you can download Webman directy on your console instead of performing the next step on your PC: backup managers > webman mod 1.47.06 (the first one as of today) > point to USB drive, don't press X on it, press start to download

Alternatively you can just browse to http://homebrewstore.altervista.org/ on PC or console.

Webman installation
  1. Get Webman_mod_1.47.06_Updater.pkg and copy it to the root of the USB drive
  2. Also get the PSP launcher if you want to run said console's ISOs; only the "PSP_remaster_launcher_fixed.pkg" is required
  3. Game > ★ Package installer > Install package files > Standard > all the stuff we downloaded in the previous steps
  4. Game > webman updater mod etc etc. Hold L1 as you start it, until you're back to the XMB. You can now uninstall Webman Updater (triangle > delete).

"Installing" software (ISO/folder)
While Webman is running, you can connect to your console via FTP without any further settings (press Select+Start while the XMB is visible to check the IP address), create appropriate subfolders of dev_hdd0, them being: BDISO-DVDISO (for decrypted movies), PSXISO-PS2ISO-PS3ISO-PSPISO (for games of those consoles), GAMES (for extracted, folder-style PS3 games), and upload games in supported formats to said folders.

Alternatively, you can download and install Irisman File Manager if you want an on-console file manager. It is straightforward to use and supports NTFS out of the box, including the "Mount and exit to XMB" feature to install nonsplit .pkg with the XMB's package manager without double copying.
However it has a bug: after use, you should always go back to the root and unmount the NTFS drive, else the file manager won't launch again without that drive connected (unless you FTP in and delete the settings)

Installing software (PKG)
  1. Deliver the .pkg to your console. This can be done in many ways, some of which are:
    • FTP: copy the file to /dev_hdd0/packages/
    • FAT32 flash drive: Only for packages that fit. Simply put them on the root, or a "packages" subfolder of the root, of said external disk.
    • NTFS hard drive (bubble method): Browse to the packages in IRISMAN's file manager and click on them.
    • NTFS hard drive (remount method): Browse to the packages in IRISMAN's file manager, press circle on one of them, select "mount and exit to XMB", go immediately to next step.
  2. Go to Game > ★ Package Manager > ...
    • FTP: ... > Install Package Files > PS3 System Storage > your package
    • FAT32 flash drive: ... > Install Package Files > Standard or Package Directory > your package
    • NTFS hard drive (bubble method): ... > Playstation Network Content > your package
    • NTFS hard drive (remount method): ... > Install Package Files > Standard > your package
  3. Your package is now installed. You can find the applications in the appropriate main menu (Game, unless it's a video-related application, etc)
  4. You can delete the files you used in the previous steps.
  5. You may need to install licenses for non-DRM-free packages. The most common way is by installing the ReactPSN homebrew (yep, another package), copying the licenses (RAP, RIF, EDAT) to an "exdata" folder of a FAT32 hard drive, creating or renaming a second PS3 user called "aa", then running ReactPSN while holding L1 until it returns to the XMB.

Running games
  1. Game > Webman Games > pick your poison, you should get a notification saying the game was mounted. Alternatively you can go to Game > Webman Games > Webman Setup > PS3 Webman Games for a grid view in the web browser
  2. For PSP games, now go to Game [> Webman Games > PSP] > PSP Launcher, then select with or without local multiplayer tunneling (adhocparty)
  3. For PS1/PS2, now go to Game > Playstation[2] Format Disc.

Tips
  • The Webman settings, however daunting at first, have useful features such as fan control and a list of button combos: watch what you click but don't hesitate to look at them!
  • By default the fan will have a very high minimum in PS2 mode (even before said games are started), don't panic!
  • Similiarly, the power LED going yellow when entering or leaving an application is not a sign of disaster.
  • You can control Webman via any modern browser: just connect to your PS3's ip address.
  • "Cobra" firmwares, compared to normal ones, have integration (but not necessarily the required software built-in) for FTP, ISO loading, etc -- the name comes from Cobra, who is a company that made PS* modding tools including an ODE and in particular a dongle-based CFW, "Cobra USB v6".

Last edited by Ryccardo, , Reason: New links, package guide

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
In all regards the QA toggle was something people did when 3.55 was the lowest firmware people could use as an entry point. Don't see why people are doing it when latest is 4.82

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
In all regards the QA toggle was something people did when 3.55 was the lowest firmware people could use as an entry point. Don't see why people are doing it when latest is 4.82
As the name says, it's officially used for testing purposes - practically it means that it enables downgrading and allows unlocking debug settings (on CFWs that don't have those out of the box, like Rebug)

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
As the name says, it's officially used for testing purposes - practically it means that it enables downgrading and allows unlocking debug settings (on CFWs that don't have those out of the box, like Rebug)
i know what it means. i've been in the ps3 community since the 3.55 days but see it as pointless since 4.82 is the latest entry point and not 3.55 anymore. All features people used 3.55 for are implemented in newer firmwares now. Like in the past you had to downgrade to 3.55 to remarry a new blu ray drive but seeing as that is not needed anymore with rebug. The only reason why people used qa toggle was because 3.55 was the latest entry point and they could go back if something went wrong but seeing as 4.82 is the latest entry point qa toggle seems pointless to me.

Last edited by kumikochan,

joe7dust

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can someone please help me figure out why ftp stopped working? These are my settings: https://imgur.com/a/2gHuc It keeps saying connected waiting for welcome message, have tried from XMB after fresh restart and says "webman loaded" (this was the most reliable when working before), after going into webman settings, after clicking the ftp link at the bottom, lite mode, full mode... nothing works!

BTW This screenshot was after i switched the ps3 to wireless for troubleshooting. When I was using ftp successfully before I had an ethernet straight from pc to ps3 with ips 223.0.0.0 & 223.0.0.1 (was working like this, even internet worked on ps3 because i shared my pc wifi)

Last edited by joe7dust,

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
seeing as 4.82 is the latest entry point qa toggle seems pointless to me.
That's true if your goal is to stay on some form of 4.82, but not if someone wants to downgrade :)

Can someone please help me figure out why ftp stopped working? [...]
Your issue would most likely get better exposure if you posted it as its own topic in the main PS3 Hacking section :)

JiveTheTurkey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got back to OFW after CFW and I tried installing Rebug but it shows as "The data is corrupted.", so I tried the exploit and got the success shut down and the same issue pops up. I even checked the md5 and they're matched. Is there anything that I could do to fix this? Much thanks.

THYPLEX

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
As the instructions for that homebrew say, it alternates between QA on and QA off (it doesn't work 100% of the time, at least in my experience - but you can always check with the key combo)
And the Key combo is ?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Thanks for answering , both of you guys ahah

JiveTheTurkey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are some games just completely incompatible with Webman and MultiMan? Been trying to load a ps2 iso but I only get as far as the ps2 logo and the health warning splash page then my tv says no signal but the console remains on in a frozen state.

Reaga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are some games just completely incompatible with Webman and MultiMan? Been trying to load a ps2 iso but I only get as far as the ps2 logo and the health warning splash page then my tv says no signal but the console remains on in a frozen state.
Someone did mention about a 75% compatibility rate (If I remember correctly) with PS2 ISOs, your game may just fall out of that group.

Reactions: JiveTheTurkey

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Synthetic chocolate will be a thing lol