Tutorial  Updated

4.82 Ferrox Cobra CFW and Webman for beginners

First, let's make clear that there's no one size fits all guide, this is most likely not the way to get the maximum amount of features (that would be a non-lite Rebug), it's probably not the most efficient way, it's not 100% compatibility (no single method is), it does not cover PSN packages - however it's decently polished, reasonably detailed, and I've actually tested it :)

I also have a CECH-C (phat, nand, with PS2 CPU) console and assume you want to install stuff to the internal hard drive.
I also assume your console is downgradable to 3.55 and fully stock (although you will be reminded of being sure of such during the related steps)

now i have installed the ferrox 4.82, is it obligatory to do the last steps ? ( installa habbib QA run it and install Rex Cobra 7.5 )? what do you recommend me? also many thanks, does it need to be installed by usb or via package manager?
No, in fact what I personally did is:

Exploit/CFW
  1. Update to 4.82 if you haven't already
  2. Follow the instructions for software "downgrading" until your console triple-beeps and powers off, meaning the exploit should have done its job. I personally used a TDK 8GB, formatted to FAT32 with 4 kB blocks, and set the actual exploit webpage (with the pinkish background) as homepage then rebooted before running the exploit.
    [Note: the above description and link applies to PS3XPLOIT V1. You are free to use V1 or V2, both available from the same page, at your free choice.]
  3. Remove USB, Turn the PS3 back on and let it do the filesystem check...
  4. Download Ferrox 4.82 Cobra and put it on USB, renamed to /PS3/UPDATE/PS3UPDAT.PUP (this is the standard path for OFW or CFW installers).
  5. Insert stick in console again, update from system settings > removable media.
    If it fails to be detected try recovery mode (with the power off, hold the power button until you hear three total beeps and the console is off again, release for 2 seconds, start holding again until it beeps twice in a row = 4 beeps since you released and re-held the button).
    Follow the instructions.

Optional: Install a link to the Cybermodding appstore website
  1. Game > ★ Package installer > System storage > Ferrox mod installer
  2. Game > Ferrox mod installer > homebrew store > install
  3. Network > cybermodding homebrew store (replaces the link to the PS3 manual).
You navigate it like a website (R3 zooms, right stick scrolls, arrows or analog move pointer, X clicks, L1 back, R1 forward in history...)

If you want to practice, you can download Webman directy on your console instead of performing the next step on your PC: backup managers > webman mod 1.47.06 (the first one as of today) > point to USB drive, don't press X on it, press start to download

Alternatively you can just browse to http://homebrewstore.altervista.org/ on PC or console.

Webman installation
  1. Get Webman_mod_1.47.06_Updater.pkg and copy it to the root of the USB drive
  2. Also get the PSP launcher if you want to run said console's ISOs; only the "PSP_remaster_launcher_fixed.pkg" is required
  3. Game > ★ Package installer > Install package files > Standard > all the stuff we downloaded in the previous steps
  4. Game > webman updater mod etc etc. Hold L1 as you start it, until you're back to the XMB. You can now uninstall Webman Updater (triangle > delete).

"Installing" software (ISO/folder)
While Webman is running, you can connect to your console via FTP without any further settings (press Select+Start while the XMB is visible to check the IP address), create appropriate subfolders of dev_hdd0, them being: BDISO-DVDISO (for decrypted movies), PSXISO-PS2ISO-PS3ISO-PSPISO (for games of those consoles), GAMES (for extracted, folder-style PS3 games), and upload games in supported formats to said folders.

Alternatively, you can download and install Irisman File Manager if you want an on-console file manager. It is straightforward to use and supports NTFS out of the box, including the "Mount and exit to XMB" feature to install nonsplit .pkg with the XMB's package manager without double copying.
However it has a bug: after use, you should always go back to the root and unmount the NTFS drive, else the file manager won't launch again without that drive connected (unless you FTP in and delete the settings)

Installing software (PKG)
  1. Deliver the .pkg to your console. This can be done in many ways, some of which are:
    • FTP: copy the file to /dev_hdd0/packages/
    • FAT32 flash drive: Only for packages that fit. Simply put them on the root, or a "packages" subfolder of the root, of said external disk.
    • NTFS hard drive (bubble method): Browse to the packages in IRISMAN's file manager and click on them.
    • NTFS hard drive (remount method): Browse to the packages in IRISMAN's file manager, press circle on one of them, select "mount and exit to XMB", go immediately to next step.
  2. Go to Game > ★ Package Manager > ...
    • FTP: ... > Install Package Files > PS3 System Storage > your package
    • FAT32 flash drive: ... > Install Package Files > Standard or Package Directory > your package
    • NTFS hard drive (bubble method): ... > Playstation Network Content > your package
    • NTFS hard drive (remount method): ... > Install Package Files > Standard > your package
  3. Your package is now installed. You can find the applications in the appropriate main menu (Game, unless it's a video-related application, etc)
  4. You can delete the files you used in the previous steps.
  5. You may need to install licenses for non-DRM-free packages. The most common way is by installing the ReactPSN homebrew (yep, another package), copying the licenses (RAP, RIF, EDAT) to an "exdata" folder of a FAT32 hard drive, creating or renaming a second PS3 user called "aa", then running ReactPSN while holding L1 until it returns to the XMB.

Running games
  1. Game > Webman Games > pick your poison, you should get a notification saying the game was mounted. Alternatively you can go to Game > Webman Games > Webman Setup > PS3 Webman Games for a grid view in the web browser
  2. For PSP games, now go to Game [> Webman Games > PSP] > PSP Launcher, then select with or without local multiplayer tunneling (adhocparty)
  3. For PS1/PS2, now go to Game > Playstation[2] Format Disc.

Tips
  • The Webman settings, however daunting at first, have useful features such as fan control and a list of button combos: watch what you click but don't hesitate to look at them!
  • By default the fan will have a very high minimum in PS2 mode (even before said games are started), don't panic!
  • Similiarly, the power LED going yellow when entering or leaving an application is not a sign of disaster.
  • You can control Webman via any modern browser: just connect to your PS3's ip address.
  • "Cobra" firmwares, compared to normal ones, have integration (but not necessarily the required software built-in) for FTP, ISO loading, etc -- the name comes from Cobra, who is a company that made PS* modding tools including an ODE and in particular a dongle-based CFW, "Cobra USB v6".

Last edited by Ryccardo, , Reason: New links, package guide

JiveTheTurkey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a problem :
When i load metal slug anthology (ps2) on my ps3 works fine , but when i try to load metal slug 6 It leaves me with a Black screen :
How can i solve it?
Honestly I couldn't overcome that issue either, I'm going to try Irisman with some of the games that stay in black screen. I tried loading 1 game in particular over 4 times and each is black so I believe that marks that game incompatible. Haven't found a list either.

Havok10

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know how it works on those either. A lot of games usually require you to download updates the first time you run them. For example this amounted to gta v needing 8.5 more gb of space. I guess I need to do some testing and see where all this stuff is going.

Edit: Well poop.... Looks like dlc pkg get put on internal HDD by default. Any way to change this?

You can run DLC/Gameupdates from external hard drive easily. In Webman goto Setup -> Gamedata and toggle it on. It will switch the syscalls to your external drive. You have switch it back on after every reboot since it is not persistent.

Reactions: Ryccardo

joe7dust

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can run DLC/Gameupdates from external hard drive easily. In Webman goto Setup -> Gamedata and toggle it on. It will switch the syscalls to your external drive. You have switch it back on after every reboot since it is not persistent.

I actually don't have an external drive, no way to put that stuff where the webman gets the disc data from or over network?

Hammyface

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I installed this firmware fine. Then I installed webman updater. It ran fine the first time, but after a reboot it no longer finds my games (it says Webman is loaded when i boot up). If I click on the webman updater program, it tries to load, goes to a black screen, and my light flashes green and yellow forever. Any idea what is going on?

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Updated with the Irisman file manager (which I find a lot more straightforward than Multiman's, and can be installed standalone) and PSXPLOIT v2

I installed this firmware fine. Then I installed webman updater. It ran fine the first time, but after a reboot it no longer finds my games (it says Webman is loaded when i boot up). If I click on the webman updater program, it tries to load, goes to a black screen, and my light flashes green and yellow forever. Any idea what is going on?
Sounds like a corrupted webman installation: try erasing its settings (there should be a dedicated link in the usual webman settings webpage, iirc)

Reactions: Hammyface

Hammyface

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Updated with the Irisman file manager (which I find a lot more straightforward than Multiman's, and can be installed standalone) and PSXPLOIT v2

Sounds like a corrupted webman installation: try erasing its settings (there should be a dedicated link in the usual webman settings webpage, iirc)

Thanks! I gave this a shot. Now I am noticing that Multiman or even sometimes games themselves take a few hard reboots before loading properly (otherwise they just give me a black screen with a green and yellow flashing light until I pull the plug out of the system). I don't remember having this issue with Rebug at all; could it be a Cobra/ferrox thing?

Hammyface

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am guessing this firmware polls USB drives differently than the Rebug firmware I was previously using? To prevent MultiMan from giving me a black screen I think what I have to do is turn on the PS3 and wait a good minute or two before loading it. It also takes a minute or two before any games show up in WebMan. Is there any way to get around this? Not the end of the world of course.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Does my folder structure matter for webman or can I organize it into separate systems if I want to?
The folder names to be used are the de facto standards of almost every other *man:
/dev_hdd0/PS3ISO/ (also from external) & /dev_hdd0/GAMES/ (GAMEZ from external)- PS3
/dev_hdd0/PS2ISO/ - PS2
/dev_hdd0/PSXISO/ (also from external) - PS1
/dev_hdd0/PSPISO/ - PSP (with "PSP Remaster Launcher" forwarder also installed)
/dev_hdd0/DVDISO/ (also from external) - DVD movies
/dev_hdd0/BDISO/ (also from external) - BD movies
/dev_hdd0/ROMS/system/ (see picture) (also from external) - RetroCrap (with "PKG Launcher" forwarder also installed)

Last edited by Ryccardo,

Mimetoist

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Stupid question: I have a 4.81 ferrox cobra cfw, and I want to update it to 4.82 version. Do I HAVE to downgrade it/update it to the ofw in order to install it, or do I just download the 4.82 cfw and install it like any other file? And if I do so, do I have to install a new version of MultiMan or can I keep mine? And all my games and save files will be preserved, right?

Last edited by Mimetoist,

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Stupid question: I have a 4.81 ferrox cobra cfw, and I want to update it to 4.82 version. Do I HAVE to downgrade it/update it to the ofw in order to install it, or do I just download the 4.82 cfw and install it like any other file? And if I do so, do I have to install a new version of MultiMan or can I keep mine? And all my games and save files will be preserved, right?

No, in fact flashing clean OFW (as opposed to a "dual boot" modded version) would mean having to repeat the hardmod downgrade or PS3xploit

*man homebrews (and other system tools) are often updated for every new system version, so you should update them to their newest release too

The contents of dev_hdd0 will remain, which is
1- not inherently good or bad (check your plugins, if any, for compatibility)
2- not an excuse to avoid making backups of your saves

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hey does this work with the new 4.83 version?
The basic principles apply to any Cobra cfw, yes
Webman Mod was not updated for 4.83 yet, but since the system calls match up (the only significant changes were in the browser and bluray movie keys), it will work fine, just reporting a wrong version if you press select+start to check system information

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night