Gaming 4K woes

Tomobobo

Champion.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I grab this 4K TV for $300 on cyber monday and I get home and hook it up to my pretty shitty but not totally fucked quad-core amd machine I've been using as an HTPC with some light gaming running Windows 7. Picture looks great super bright. It's huge. It replaced an old 2007 30" Dell monitor so it looks gigantic. After a second I realize that at 4K the refresh rate is sitting at 30hz and shit is a slideshow.

HDMI 2.0 I guess is a new tech that my gfx card doesn't have apparently and this TV doesn't have DisplayPort connections so I order this DisplayPort 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 adapter from amazon as this is the only way I'm going to get a 60hz signal from this card.

I continue on and start testing out some 4k content on youtube and 90% of the videos are lagging out and not like from internet connection but just stuck frames and glitchy shit. CPU usage through the roof. Look around the internet for shit like enabling hardware acceleration in various browsers and fuck with settings endlessly in Firefox and Chrome and replay videos like this as a test to see everything is still fucked. That video especially just kills the CPU. Everyone in the 4k video comments talking about how they can play it just fine just making me so fucking salty. I try on other machines I have in the house, every single PC and Laptop just gets CPU rekt when trying to play a 4k youtube video it doesn't make any sense. Firefox and Chrome don't enable certain settings by default like h.264/5 and VP9 and WebM and all kinds of shit for no reason. Firefox won't even play 4K videos without either enabling settings or having flash on the PC and then they don't tell you they're using flash on youtube but they are but when something else uses it they wanna make sure you know it's an old outdated plugin but they fucking use it without telling you on youtube ok.

So I grab some 4k movie rips which are 50gb a pop if I dl 20 movies fucking comcast is going to shut me down and I try to play them in everybody's favorite VLC player and it's glitching to fuck grey artifacts and stuck on frames it's fucked. Look into enabling hw acceleration in VLC and it's all on in settings and shit but it's not doing anything the CPU is on fire. Doing a google search for 4K VLC shows a bunch of people having problems and no one getting it fixed. Most of the solutions are from people saying to install MPC-HC and MadVR which is just a piece of shit and makes a purple screen or seriously sends a fucked up signal to the TV and it starts wigging out and I can't get the fucking movie to play for shit.

I'm pissed to fuck and I go to best buy again and get a GTX 1060 6gb cause I mean if my old 270x 4gb isn't new enough for 4k I need a new card and I get home and install it and the same fucking shit youtube is fucked 4k videos are fucked. GPU isn't being used. HDMI 2.0a port on the card tho so now we at least get 60hz going on but wait a second isn't this TV HDR. I look in the settings and all kinds of shit I can't figure out how to get HDR signal to the TV. I turn it on in the Nvidia control panel and shit and nothing it's not happening.

Finally get some shit done by playing Life of Pi in MPC-HC with the default settings (not madvr) and lo and behold it's playing and working so we watch the flick and it's all good except all the colors are all washed out and there's like a grey tint to the whole movie fuck it we got through a 4k flick. But the HDR is the problem with the greyness of the image so wtf am I supposed to do to get HDR out of MPC-HC if madvr is the only thing and it just shits the bed? I'm fucked idk what to do start freaking out and want to talk to someone who has some experience here cause obviously I'm just fucking up hard.

Look up /r/techsupport and find their chatroom in irc and go in and cry a little bit to them and they spew crap about how it's my internet and the peru 8k video works fine for them and I'm filled with salt. I have a 60mb connection not the best but I'm not paying out the butthole for internet and 60mbps is fine for 4k content just barely but it is fine. Some dude suggests upgrading to windows 10 cause I guess he works for microsoft or is paid by them or just sleeps on a windows branded pillow or something cause my experiences with windows 10 have just been a nightmare. It's windows 7 but all your shortcuts have been moved and everything is broken and they force updates even for fucking drivers and the driver repo that they use IDK who gets to add shit in there but it must be any monkey with a hotmail cause there's just shit fucking old as fuck drivers being installed over your manually installed ones and all kinds of spying and just retarded shit and windows 7 works just fine when I click add a bluetooth device it shows up it doesn't bring me to another menu first and that's basically how windows 10 is with everything.

So I update my 2nd best machine to windows 10 and toss the 1060 in and go to the peru video and HOLY FUCKING SHIT it plays just fine I want to kill my fucking self. Wasn't working on win7 but some kind of magic in windows 10 makes the GPU get used for decoding VIDEO holy shit. This machine has a fucked motherboard it's like a micro atx so the gfx card sitting there takes up the only pci slot that I need for my soundcard because sound for some reason just isn't important for anyone so fucking HDMI stereo is just ok for everyone and that's what I get if I don't use my sound card and I won't be using it in this machine so fuck you 5.1 surround sound or stereo upmix (speaker fill) because nvidia doesn't want to set a flag in their drivers and even if I could get it out of the card the TV doesn't support multichannel passthrough to the fucking DRM that is optical audio so I'd be fucked either way.

Try madvr again to see if we can get some HDR out of this bitch cause youtube although it's playing fine it's these lame ass youtube channels are claiming HDR I can't believe them cause I've seen 4k youtube vids that are just upscaled 480p content and shit it's a wasteland. MadVR glitches out to fuck and the signal to the TV is just fucked like weird rainbow artifacts for a second and black screens and just basically not outputting anything this TV can recognize. I look online for settings for madvr and shit I shouldn't have to be doing this shit finding custom settings for a fucking 2d image this is fucking retarded and it's just not happening fucking madvr is a piece of shit. I look at other players like this weak as fuck 5k player and install it and it just pops errors up and shit it's comedy.

What's this HDR toggle setting in the display settings on win10 lets turn that on. HOLY FUCK it's fucked all text is fucked everything is dark af it's all weird lines around text on a white background the color is all dull wtf is going on but the TV says HDR for the first time so there's victory? Do a google search for dark screen hdr windows 10 and it's a graveyard of poor souls with microsoft employees telling the dead to contact nvidia and the television manufacturer.

I mean I know it's a cheap as fuck panel but it shouldn't look like complete dog shit when in HDR mode, we test on the PS4 and it shows up as "HDR" on the TV and doesn't look like a fart fest but it's in 1080p IDK I thought I knew a little bit about displays but I guess I'm retard. Microsoft tells me that maybe I should use a display port instead of HDMI in the troubleshooting so guess what that fucking adapter came in and I toss it in there and now the HDR switch doesn't work and everything has a grey tint over it I guess this adapter can't do HDR I dunno.

So there's where I am. Anyone out there on windows 7 playing 4k videos just fine?

KevinLSX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I grab this 4K TV for $300 on cyber monday and I get home and hook it up to my pretty shitty but not totally fucked quad-core amd machine I've been using as an HTPC with some light gaming running Windows 7. Picture looks great super bright. It's huge. It replaced an old 2007 30" Dell monitor so it looks gigantic. After a second I realize that at 4K the refresh rate is sitting at 30hz and shit is a slideshow.

HDMI 2.0 I guess is a new tech that my gfx card doesn't have apparently and this TV doesn't have DisplayPort connections so I order this DisplayPort 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 adapter from amazon as this is the only way I'm going to get a 60hz signal from this card.

I continue on and start testing out some 4k content on youtube and 90% of the videos are lagging out and not like from internet connection but just stuck frames and glitchy shit. CPU usage through the roof. Look around the internet for shit like enabling hardware acceleration in various browsers and fuck with settings endlessly in Firefox and Chrome and replay videos like this as a test to see everything is still fucked. That video especially just kills the CPU. Everyone in the 4k video comments talking about how they can play it just fine just making me so fucking salty. I try on other machines I have in the house, every single PC and Laptop just gets CPU rekt when trying to play a 4k youtube video it doesn't make any sense. Firefox and Chrome don't enable certain settings by default like h.264/5 and VP9 and WebM and all kinds of shit for no reason. Firefox won't even play 4K videos without either enabling settings or having flash on the PC and then they don't tell you they're using flash on youtube but they are but when something else uses it they wanna make sure you know it's an old outdated plugin but they fucking use it without telling you on youtube ok.

So I grab some 4k movie rips which are 50gb a pop if I dl 20 movies fucking comcast is going to shut me down and I try to play them in everybody's favorite VLC player and it's glitching to fuck grey artifacts and stuck on frames it's fucked. Look into enabling hw acceleration in VLC and it's all on in settings and shit but it's not doing anything the CPU is on fire. Doing a google search for 4K VLC shows a bunch of people having problems and no one getting it fixed. Most of the solutions are from people saying to install MPC-HC and MadVR which is just a piece of shit and makes a purple screen or seriously sends a fucked up signal to the TV and it starts wigging out and I can't get the fucking movie to play for shit.

I'm pissed to fuck and I go to best buy again and get a GTX 1060 6gb cause I mean if my old 270x 4gb isn't new enough for 4k I need a new card and I get home and install it and the same fucking shit youtube is fucked 4k videos are fucked. GPU isn't being used. HDMI 2.0a port on the card tho so now we at least get 60hz going on but wait a second isn't this TV HDR. I look in the settings and all kinds of shit I can't figure out how to get HDR signal to the TV. I turn it on in the Nvidia control panel and shit and nothing it's not happening.

Finally get some shit done by playing Life of Pi in MPC-HC with the default settings (not madvr) and lo and behold it's playing and working so we watch the flick and it's all good except all the colors are all washed out and there's like a grey tint to the whole movie fuck it we got through a 4k flick. But the HDR is the problem with the greyness of the image so wtf am I supposed to do to get HDR out of MPC-HC if madvr is the only thing and it just shits the bed? I'm fucked idk what to do start freaking out and want to talk to someone who has some experience here cause obviously I'm just fucking up hard.

Look up /r/techsupport and find their chatroom in irc and go in and cry a little bit to them and they spew crap about how it's my internet and the peru 8k video works fine for them and I'm filled with salt. I have a 60mb connection not the best but I'm not paying out the butthole for internet and 60mbps is fine for 4k content just barely but it is fine. Some dude suggests upgrading to windows 10 cause I guess he works for microsoft or is paid by them or just sleeps on a windows branded pillow or something cause my experiences with windows 10 have just been a nightmare. It's windows 7 but all your shortcuts have been moved and everything is broken and they force updates even for fucking drivers and the driver repo that they use IDK who gets to add shit in there but it must be any monkey with a hotmail cause there's just shit fucking old as fuck drivers being installed over your manually installed ones and all kinds of spying and just retarded shit and windows 7 works just fine when I click add a bluetooth device it shows up it doesn't bring me to another menu first and that's basically how windows 10 is with everything.

So I update my 2nd best machine to windows 10 and toss the 1060 in and go to the peru video and HOLY FUCKING SHIT it plays just fine I want to kill my fucking self. Wasn't working on win7 but some kind of magic in windows 10 makes the GPU get used for decoding VIDEO holy shit. This machine has a fucked motherboard it's like a micro atx so the gfx card sitting there takes up the only pci slot that I need for my soundcard because sound for some reason just isn't important for anyone so fucking HDMI stereo is just ok for everyone and that's what I get if I don't use my sound card and I won't be using it in this machine so fuck you 5.1 surround sound or stereo upmix (speaker fill) because nvidia doesn't want to set a flag in their drivers and even if I could get it out of the card the TV doesn't support multichannel passthrough to the fucking DRM that is optical audio so I'd be fucked either way.

Try madvr again to see if we can get some HDR out of this bitch cause youtube although it's playing fine it's these lame ass youtube channels are claiming HDR I can't believe them cause I've seen 4k youtube vids that are just upscaled 480p content and shit it's a wasteland. MadVR glitches out to fuck and the signal to the TV is just fucked like weird rainbow artifacts for a second and black screens and just basically not outputting anything this TV can recognize. I look online for settings for madvr and shit I shouldn't have to be doing this shit finding custom settings for a fucking 2d image this is fucking retarded and it's just not happening fucking madvr is a piece of shit. I look at other players like this weak as fuck 5k player and install it and it just pops errors up and shit it's comedy.

What's this HDR toggle setting in the display settings on win10 lets turn that on. HOLY FUCK it's fucked all text is fucked everything is dark af it's all weird lines around text on a white background the color is all dull wtf is going on but the TV says HDR for the first time so there's victory? Do a google search for dark screen hdr windows 10 and it's a graveyard of poor souls with microsoft employees telling the dead to contact nvidia and the television manufacturer.

I mean I know it's a cheap as fuck panel but it shouldn't look like complete dog shit when in HDR mode, we test on the PS4 and it shows up as "HDR" on the TV and doesn't look like a fart fest but it's in 1080p IDK I thought I knew a little bit about displays but I guess I'm retard. Microsoft tells me that maybe I should use a display port instead of HDMI in the troubleshooting so guess what that fucking adapter came in and I toss it in there and now the HDR switch doesn't work and everything has a grey tint over it I guess this adapter can't do HDR I dunno.

So there's where I am. Anyone out there on windows 7 playing 4k videos just fine?

Connect your 1060 to a pci riser so that you have space for your sound card.

Reactions: Tomobobo

Tomobobo

Champion.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I could do that or get a PCI extension cord for the soundcard for sure. My hope is to get 4k youtube and HDR .mkv playback on any machine running windows 7. If I can figure out why the browsers just refuse to use hardware decoding on windows 7 I could just use a different machine and mobo that the soundcard sits in just fine. Still wouldn't get me HDR out of .mkv but it would solve one 4k issue.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

From what I've heard, stuff looking washed out is normal with HDR enabled when you're not looking at HDR content.
Also, I don't think YouTube even supports HDR.

Tomobobo

Champion.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From what I've heard, stuff looking washed out is normal with HDR enabled when you're not looking at HDR content.
Also, I don't think YouTube even supports HDR.
I wish I could screenshot it maybe i can take a pic with my phone. That's the other big problem here is that I'm new to the tech so I don't know how it all works but... I would figure Windows 10 HDR switch would enable an HDR desktop no?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I wish I could screenshot it maybe i can take a pic with my phone. That's the other big problem here is that I'm new to the tech so I don't know how it all works but... I would figure Windows 10 HDR switch would enable an HDR desktop no?
HDR is still pretty new so I guess there isn't full support for it on the Windows desktop.

Tomobobo

Champion.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do appreciate y'all taking time and offering help.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

HDR is still pretty new so I guess there isn't full support for it on the Windows desktop.

I feel like this is the real answer to the problems I'm having. HDR and 4k are somehow still "new" and "unsupported" tech. It just trips me out.

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
And HDR isn't set either. Companies are battling to be the dominant format. Like when Blue Ray and HDDVD were battling it out, with BlueRay winning.

There is no HDR standard yet so its a bit iffy right now.

Last edited by SG854,

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I do appreciate y'all taking time and offering help.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I feel like this is the real answer to the problems I'm having. HDR and 4k are somehow still "new" and "unsupported" tech. It just trips me out.

Seriously... Unless you linked the wrong TV... The specs even say that HDR isn't supported. It's not a windows problem.

Also, did you run DDU to Uninstall ALL your video drivers?

Last edited by Kioku,

Tomobobo

Champion.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seriously... Unless you linked the wrong TV... The specs even say that HDR isn't supported. It's not a windows problem.
It's not listed as HDR on the site but the box has HDR on it. When you display HDR content a flag shows up in the info pop up telling me the resolution hdr mode and refresh rate.

It isn't mentioned officially anywhere as far as I can tell but I'm pretty sure this is what they call an 8bit HDR panel, which technically isn't really master race HDR but it is in the ballpark. On PS4 it definitely comes through as HDR and there is a difference in picture quality for sure. So for what it's worth I at least know the difference between HDR types like HDR8 <- not real and HDR10 and Dolby Vision or HDR12.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
It's not listed as HDR on the site but the box has HDR on it. When you display HDR content a flag shows up in the info pop up telling me the resolution hdr mode and refresh rate.

It isn't mentioned officially anywhere as far as I can tell but I'm pretty sure this is what they call an 8bit HDR panel, which technically isn't really master race HDR but it is in the ballpark. On PS4 it definitely comes through as HDR and there is a difference in picture quality for sure. So for what it's worth I at least know the difference between HDR types like HDR8 <- not real and HDR10 and Dolby Vision or HDR12.
Then you need to take it up with Toshiba. First, have you tried completely uninstalling your GPU drivers to reinstall fresh? Going from AMD to Nvidia can cause some issues in itself if not.

Last edited by Kioku,

Plstic

Guru Meditation Error
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You could have gotta a dual link DVI and a passive adaptor to HDMI for 4k.

Also, I would give MPV a shot, much easier just putting stuff in the config than dealing with madVRs settings. Plus for me it runs better and you can set it up to not use filters on 4K content.

Reactions: Kioku and Tomobobo

Tomobobo

Champion.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Also, I would give MPV a shot, much easier just putting stuff in the config than dealing with madVRs settings. Plus for me it runs better and you can set it up to not use filters on 4K content.

Thanks for the suggestion on the player, I'm dl now. And you're right about the DVI stuff except this display doen't have a DVI port so we're stuck with HDMI. Luckily it is HDMI 2.0 though so it does support 4k and HDR.

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the

Thats what is use is Mad VR. Its the best video renderer. And it lets me use 3D LUTS. Mad VR is not a piece of shit like what the OP said.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.