Gaming 4K woes

Plstic

Guru Meditation Error
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the suggestion on the player, I'm dl now. And you're right about the DVI stuff except this display doen't have a DVI port so we're stuck with HDMI. Luckily it is HDMI 2.0 though so it does support 4k and HDR.
that's why I said get a passive adapter to convert dual link dvi to HDMI 2.0

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Thats what is use is Mad VR. Its the best video renderer. And it lets me use 3D LUTS. Mad VR is not a piece of shit like what the OP said.
You can have that in MPV too. Though you will never get the true color of content if you're GPU decoding.

Reactions: Tomobobo

Tomobobo

Champion.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fresh install for starters.. You don't mention anything about what steps you took to go from an AMD card to Nvidia.

I gotcha. Well the problem existed before we switched cards. We're going to stay on this same machine here for troubleshooting and explanation processes in the future but..

Had 270x, problems with youtube 4k videos running windows 7. Upgraded to GTX 1060, clean install of their drivers but no AMD drivers were removed. Still problems with youtube 4k.

Swapped out the machine, dropped the GTX 1060 in a amd FX 8320 board and case, clean install of 1060 drivers on windows 7, still problems with youtube 4k. Used windows 10 upgrade utility to update that machine to windows 10 and youtube 4k plays just fine. I don't want windows 10.

So I went back to the original machine with windows 7 and I used a utility from driveragent to try to find updated drivers for everything, which is a lame company but the utility shows for free then I found this driverpack website from a fellow on gbatemp and it installed a few drivers for amd chipset which I hoped were going to work but they didn't. Also updated windows 7 with windows update to try to be recent on this pretty fresh win7 sp1 install. Still having issues with youtube 4k.

Last edited by Tomobobo,
Reactions: Kioku

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
that's why I said get a passive adapter to convert dual link dvi to HDMI 2.0

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

You can have that in MPV too. Though you will never get the true color of content if you're GPU decoding.
Well I use DisplayCal to create 3D LUTS using a Colorimeter. So colors are accurate.

Tomobobo

Champion.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thats what is use is Mad VR. Its the best video renderer. And it lets me use 3D LUTS. Mad VR is not a piece of shit like what the OP said.
If you don't mind, what player are you using with madvr and are you changing any settings from default? Are you playing 4k blu-ray rips?

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I gotcha. Well the problem existed before we switched cards. We're going to stay on this same machine here for troubleshooting and explanation processes in the future but..

Had 270x, problems with youtube 4k videos running windows 7. Upgraded to GTX 1060, clean install of their drivers but no AMD drivers were removed. Still problems with youtube 4k.

Swapped out the machine, dropped the GTX 1060 in a amd FX 8320 board and case, clean install of 1060 drivers on windows 7, still problems with youtube 4k. Used windows 10 upgrade utility to update that machine to windows 10 and youtube 4k plays just fine. I don't want windows 10.

So I went back to the original machine with windows 7 and I used a utility from driveragent to try to find updated drivers for everything, which is a lame company but the utility shows for free then I found this driverpack website from a fellow on gbatemp and it installed a few drivers for amd chipset which I hoped were going to work but they didn't. Also updated windows 7 with windows update to try to be recent on this pretty fresh win7 sp1 install.

Toshiba is weird. Just searched that model and I'm getting various results. Hm.

Plstic

Guru Meditation Error
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

So I went back to the original machine with windows 7 and I used a utility from driveragent to try to find updated drivers for everything, which is a lame company but the utility shows for free then I found this driverpack website from a fellow on gbatemp and it installed a few drivers for amd chipset which I hoped were going to work but they didn't. Also updated windows 7 with windows update to try to be recent on this pretty fresh win7 sp1 install. Still having issues with youtube 4k.
Try running it with YouTube-DL on MPV and you can force GPU decoding with that. I think your processor might be struggling with 4K.

Reactions: Kioku and Tomobobo

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I know man. I would suspect the panel too it was $300 but I swear it looks good when everything is "right". Like the ps4 it looks good man.
Yeah, I was reading that PS4 HDR worked like it should. So, out of curiosity.. What are your Nvidia settings looking like? This is more or less for the colors..

Tomobobo

Champion.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try running it with YouTube-DL on MPV and you can force GPU decoding with that. I think your processor might be struggling with 4K.

I am DL I am curious to see how MPV handles.

Edit: well I don't think at least by default youtube-dl get's the 8k or even 4k file

Edit again: ok well I'm downloading an 8k youtube video to put that processor to the test but ultimately the processor should not be doing any work at all with the video file, the decoding should be handled by the GPU. Is that the problem? Or is it really that the CPU is handling these 4 and 8k vids for people and they are just so vastly superior to my amd 8320 or whatever that I swear was new last year, and since their cpu is just killing the game they don't have the same issues I'm having? I mean the problem is obviously that the CPU can't handle the 4k render, but my thought is that that's not how it's supposed to be working anyway, and windows 10 kinda proves me right, so I'm just trying to see where the magic is that windows 10 seems to get that I just can't find the tickbox for on windows 7..... Oh yeah and I said 60mbps is ok for streaming 4k, well it isn't for 8k, I can tell you that. It's taking forever to download the 8k vid from youtube haha. But when it's done I wanna see how MPV works out because I love opensource stuff that works well and my blu-ray rips are on the other machine.

Edit after dl: the cpu is on fire haha I'm gonna try a blu-ray rip in this player though

Yeah, I was reading that PS4 HDR worked like it should. So, out of curiosity.. What are your Nvidia settings looking like? This is more or less for the colors..

Color settings untouched. In change resolution refresh comes in at 60hz by default and I think it sets it to RGB output but when I change to YCbCr 444 it looks better.

Edit: Oh this is where i get my 8bit info from on the panel too, it only gives me that depth option.

Last edited by Tomobobo,
Reactions: Kioku

Plstic

Guru Meditation Error
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You have to read the manual and put in the hardware decoding stuff. If you have YouTube-DL in the same folder as MPV you can just drag the video URL onto MPV.
I am DL I am curious to see how MPV handles.

Edit: well I don't think at least by default youtube-dl get's the 8k or even 4k file

Edit again: ok well I'm downloading an 8k youtube video to put that processor to the test but ultimately the processor should not be doing any work at all with the video file, the decoding should be handled by the GPU. Is that the problem? Or is it really that the CPU is handling these 4 and 8k vids for people and they are just so vastly superior to my amd 8320 or whatever that I swear was new last year, and since their cpu is just killing the game they don't have the same issues I'm having? I mean the problem is obviously that the CPU can't handle the 4k render, but my thought is that that's not how it's supposed to be working anyway, and windows 10 kinda proves me right, so I'm just trying to see where the magic is that windows 10 seems to get that I just can't find the tickbox for on windows 7..... Oh yeah and I said 60mbps is ok for streaming 4k, well it isn't for 8k, I can tell you that. It's taking forever to download the 8k vid from youtube haha. But when it's done I wanna see how MPV works out because I love opensource stuff that works well and my blu-ray rips are on the other machine.

Edit after dl: the cpu is on fire haha I'm gonna try a blu-ray rip in this player though

Color settings untouched. In change resolution refresh comes in at 60hz by default and I think it sets it to RGB output but when I change to YCbCr 444 it looks better.

Edit: Oh this is where i get my 8bit info from on the panel too, it only gives me that depth option.

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
If you don't mind, what player are you using with madvr and are you changing any settings from default? Are you playing 4k blu-ray rips?
I use MPC-HC with Mad VR.
Im using the 32bit version of MPC-HC. 32bit since its compatible with more things.

I mostly stick with SDR content since there is no set standard for HDR. And most consumer Tv's don't cover the full rec. 2020 color space, let alone your $300 TV.
If you wan't more color space coverage then you'll have to pay more money for a better TV. HDR also takes a bigger performance hit when using Mad VR since that video renderer makes no comprimises giving you the best video quality play back.

Im assuming you already know how to install Mad VR.
So for MPC-HC you can reinstall it and check reset settings under set additional tasks window.
Go to options, output, and select Mad VR under DirectShow video.
Then go to options, internal filters, and click video decoder. Try dxva2 copy back (for gpu decoding) and check HEVC/4K.

Last edited by SG854,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude checkers get jumped
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, I guess you'd pick up something while watching tub streams.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Dick fights. :tpi:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Turkish olive oil wrestling.
    +1
    Veho @ Veho: Turkish olive oil wrestling. +1