Review 64drive review

C-Kronos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The socket was in case I ever wanted that 6105 back for some reason. Turns out it was a bad idea, it stuck out too far and kept glitching out on me because the chip wasn't making good contact or something (though the 6102 worked fine in the socket), then I ended up lifting several pads desoldering it :( Thankfully it still works now that I have the 6105 soldered in directly, but it scared the crap out of me every time a pad came off... In any case, it works now, and I'm happy. Now to just get that label printed up and it'll be perfect.
The 6105 is the way to go, glad you got it working. I hope you enjoy that 64drive, and if you have the aptitude, look into N64 homebrew development.

johnnyc418

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys,

I'm really interested in purchasing one of thse, but before I do, I have some questions that hopefully one of you will be able to answer.

1. If I already have ROMs that I play on Project64, will I need to modify any of these ROMs to play on my system using the 64drive?
2. Ive been reading some of the last few post where people are talking about sodering. Will I need to make any modifications to the 64drive or is it ready to go?

Thank you

C-Kronos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys,

I'm really interested in purchasing one of thse, but before I do, I have some questions that hopefully one of you will be able to answer.

1. If I already have ROMs that I play on Project64, will I need to modify any of these ROMs to play on my system using the 64drive?
2. Ive been reading some of the last few post where people are talking about sodering. Will I need to make any modifications to the 64drive or is it ready to go?

Thank you

You won't need to modify the roms to play them on the 64drive.. The roms were originally dumped for use on various older backup solutions for the N64..

People are mentioning soldering when they buy a PCB of the 64drive without the CIC installed.. If you buy it with the CIC installed, you're fine. Why not read the information on the site instead of asking questions for no reason?

johnnyc418

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did read the website. I was just a little confused after reading these last post. I wanted to make sure that I knew what I was buying before I dished out $200.

Cheers

C-Kronos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did read the website. I was just a little confused after reading these last post. I wanted to make sure that I knew what I was buying before I dished out $200.

Cheers

Basically the 200 dollar option is for whatever region you choose, case, and a 6102 or the PAL equivalent. This will prevent the clean rom of Jet Force Gemini from running, but it's been "cracked" so that copy will work fine if you can find it. Also, Banjo Tooie will not work without a 6105 CIC, at all.. There may be eventually a patch for it, but that's the one game that won't boot up, and all other backup solutions /have this issue/ There may be a crack for BT released eventually, but I'm not sure anyone wants to fool with it due to it being re-released on XBL. The 64drive is the best option in my opinion, and it's the best bang for your buck.

johnnyc418

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Cheers

Basically the 200 dollar option is for whatever region you choose, case, and a 6102 or the PAL equivalent. This will prevent the clean rom of Jet Force Gemini from running, but it's been "cracked" so that copy will work fine if you can find it. Also, Banjo Tooie will not work without a 6105 CIC, at all.. There may be eventually a patch for it, but that's the one game that won't boot up, and all other backup solutions /have this issue/ There may be a crack for BT released eventually, but I'm not sure anyone wants to fool with it due to it being re-released on XBL. The 64drive is the best option in my opinion, and it's the best bang for your buck.

Thank you very much.

One more thing though. I currently have one of cartriages for one a Zelda game (not sure which one), but when I try to play it, I get an error message telling me to insert the expansion pack (which I don't have). Will the 64Mb of SDRAM that is on the 64drive take care of this issue, or is that memory used for something else?

Thanks

C-Kronos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Cheers

Thank you very much.

One more thing though. I currently have one of cartriages for one a Zelda game (not sure which one), but when I try to play it, I get an error message telling me to insert the expansion pack (which I don't have). Will the 64Mb of SDRAM that is on the 64drive take care of this issue, or is that memory used for something else?

Thanks

Anything on the 64drive doesn't have anything to do with the console's RAM. You need to get the expansion pack, it has a red top to it.. I'm assuming you're talking about Majora's Mask since it required the expansion pack. You can find them at some used game shops, usually locally owned ones are the best to go to.. You're not going to find jack N64 related at a place like Gamestop these days. I'd just order one off of eBay or something; although, I'd make sure it's official as I'm not sure about the build quality or potential or failure for third party expansion packs.

The games are actually loaded into the SDRAM's memory, so that's where they're being stored when you select a game and boot it up, as far as the 64drive goes.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Quick question. I want a to get one when I have the money, but want 100% compatibility. So I'm going to get the bare board, grab a game with a 7105 in it (I have pal console), and pull it apart for case and cic. 7105 is just the pal version of 6105 and is identical other than that?, so I can use the 7105 so the 64drive will load, but play the ntsc rom fine? or will the protection on them two games kick in?

Thanks.

Supernova741

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
So true, allready had to replace the cd drive, and the power adaptor! And I can't save all my games caus it needs a stupid save cartridge.

Recnal

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Just bought a 64 Drive for my N64 off Ebay and while it works great I still wanted to play Banjo Tooie with it which until now has not been possible unless a 6105 CIC chip is soldered on the board. However that's all changed as 64scener.com have posted a patch for this game so I downloaded it and used xpsapply to apply the APS patch. After a nice Dextrose intro the game loads and plays perfectly and saves to my Micro SD card so thanks to LaC etc 64 Drive now has a 100% game compatibility !.

I didn't get a manual with the 64 Drive but the only thing I can't figure out is how the controller pak saving works which is accessed in options ?. I have copied my Turok 2 savefile from the gamepak to virtual save 1 but then what do you do ?. Any help would be appreciated.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    I can't help but think nintendo switch online is the reason we did not get a gameboy/n64/gamecube
    mini classic edition
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @salazarcosplay, i think it would have been impossible to see anything in a gameboy mini
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    well I meant that as a figure of speech
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    they could just rerelease a modern gameboy
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    like the pocket analogue
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    but nintendo licensed
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    dammit that thread got moved from offtopic to edge, well since that happened
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @LeoTCK, atleast it's still avaliable
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    yes but it wasn't meant to be a comedy thread
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    and edge of the forum is mostly comedy and games
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    so I don't get why it got moved at all
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @LeoTCK, mods are probably hating you
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    on most sites mods hated me, sooner or later, but usually over time I get either banned or the mods get used to me
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    sometimes to the point of thanking me for my quick actions etc against spam and other stuff, but yea...its either they come to respect me or outright hate me
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    If it's not game related, it will be moved to the Egde of the forum. Mods have moved a few of my threads also.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, it was in the off topic chat forum
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Well atleast they didn't delete it completely.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    hmm
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    uoiea
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    huh?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Aeiou backwards
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    ?tuw
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: ?tuw