- Official Feature List
  • Packaging and Contents
  • Design, and Impressions
  • Set-up and Usage

-Software Set-up
  • Performance, and Compatibility
  • Conclusion

Introduction

The Ace3DS Plus flashcart is the successor to the Ace3DS flashcart. It has a few more features than the Ace3DS flashcart, as well is packaged with a bonus goodie. It includes a Micro SD Card reader, which doubles as carrying case for the Ace3DS Plus. Read a bit more on to see what makes this flashcart unique. It retails for a price of $6.99 (Not including shipping).

Official Features List

• Work perfectly on 3DS V4.2.0-9 and DSi V1.44.
  • Support 3DSLL(XL)/3DS/DSILL(XL)/DSI/DSL/DS.
  • Fully compatible with the newest Wood firmware (Synchronously update).
  • 2in1 Multiple function game card reader (Ace3DS PLUS included).
  • Several built-in emulators including FC、GBC、GB、MD、NEOGEO, play different games.
  • Use the third generation chip, working faster and lower power consumption.
  • Support all the commercial roms and homebrews.
  • Auto detect the game save data size.
  • Built-in DLDI Auto-Patching, auto patch homebrew.
  • Running different SD cards at high speed.
  • Support SDHC (2G, 4G, 8G, 16G, 32G).
  • Support Slot-2, GBA package, Rumble Pack and other devices.
  • Support Wifi game, Download play.
  • Built-in multi-language.
  • Different UI for choosing.
  • Support soft reset.
  • Support AR Cheat.
  • Moonshell V2.10 attached in the Ace3DS PLUS firmware.

Design, and Impressions

AllTogether.jpg

The overall design is pretty neat. The Micro SD Card reader is made of a nice plastic. Doesn't have a oily feel to it, and is pretty hard to misplace. The card itself has a picture of Mario on the front, and is built pretty much like any other flashcart. I did not experience the flashcart sticking, or needing me to fix the contacts at all. They sent me two, and neither of them show any issues. No complaints for my from the build.

Set-up and Usage

1. Download the AOS firmware from the Ace3DS Plus Website here. http://www.ace3ds.co...s-download.html
  2. Open the archived AOS firmware using a program such as Winrar.
  3. Extract the files to the Micro SD Card you plan on using.
  4. Open this folder on your Mico SD Card after extracting the files.
  5. Place your Roms, and Homebrew in the corresponding folders.
The other two pictures are of the main screen. The top screen has a calendar, and the bottom shows the boot options. You can change the name, and shortcut path to the items by editing the text files in the extensions folder located in the __rpg folder.​

This is the typical setup for most flashcarts. The only thing different is that it gives you a bunch of folders to put your games in. But it doesn't matter where you put them, due to most of the emulators allowing you to roam your Micro SD card to find the ROMs. A sweet extra however, is that you may set customs paths in the main menu for your own games. I'll just run through the basics here.

Performance, and Compatibility

The Ace3DS Plus uses the Wood R4 firmware in order to play DS games. It also uses other Homebrew emulators, such as Lameboy in order to launch other ROMs. It uses a DSi like main screen, where you can select "NDS, Moonshell, GB, FC", and such. I'm not going to test every single game made in existence, but for that there's a compatibility list you can check out that shows what can, and can't be played. The game/homebrew that I have tested are listed below, and this is a link to the compatibility chart. -> http://wiki.scorpei....patibility_list

Games Tested:
  • Pokemon White Pass
  • Pokemon White 2 Failed
  • The World Ends With You Pass
  • Ghost Trick Pass
  • Contact Pass
  • Clubhouse Games Pass
  • Pokemon Soul Silver Pass
  • Rhythm Heaven Pass
  • Kingdom Hearts RE:Coded Pass
  • Kirby Canvas Curse Pass
  • Kirby Mass Attack Pass
  • Call Of Duty: Black Ops Pass
  • WarioWare D.I.Y. Pass
Homebrew Tested:
  • Lameboy Pass
  • NesDS Pass
  • DS Battery Test Pass
  • DSdiag Pass
  • DS SpaceImpakto Pass
  • AmplituDS Pass
  • Moonshell Pass
Firmware Updates:

The Ace3DS Plus uses the WoodR4 Kernal in order to play games. I'm not quite sure if Wood runs by itself, but will test that once I have access to my 3DS again. If it did, I'd assume that the support would be great. (By YWG.) The Ace3DS Plus hasn't been out for too long, so it doesn't have many updates. The Ace3DS however has received a fair amount of updates. On their website, they claim to have an update every week. (Which doesn't seem likely, as if there weren't games that needed fixing or bugs there'd be no need for an update.) I'll update this thread later if anything changes.

Conclusion

Okay, so there's been a little discussion in this thread that has given me a second look. So to speak of this flashcart. This flashcart has been tested, and runs a older version of the Wood R4 kernal. They simply update the game compatibility. So in terms of features the Ace3DS Plus is lacking a bit, but if you aren't looking too much for features and want a flashcart with a stylish OS. This one is for you. In terms of game compatibility updates, the Team is pretty fast. Wood R4 got updated to 1.5 the other day, and just last night was the Ace3DS Plus updated to 1.5. If I really had to sit back, and rate it with the new eyes the comments have given me I would give it a 6/10. The flashcart is a clone, runs a outdated version of Wood R4 lacking features the current updated version has but it is getting some game compatibility support. I personally will use this flashcart for a bit as I like the OS, and as long as I can play the latest games alright. It's fine in my book. I'd now give it a 6/10.

award_bronze.png

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
The Ace3DS Plus uses the WoodR4 Kernal in order to play games. I'm not quite sure if Wood runs by itself, but will test that once I have access to my 3DS again. If it did, I'd assume that the support would be great. (By YWG.)
:unsure:
That would be great if a $7 cart could run genuine Wood, but I don't think this is the case here. Quoth the Goblin:

Important Distinction said:
Now, there are so many fake Wood R4 versions which have nothing to do with me. Only Wood R4 for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com), and AK RPG are supported by me. I can only fix bugs for these specific releases. Do not post bug reports or ask for updates to clone cards running a fake version of Wood.
The Ace3ds's firmware is probably just Wood4TT or something. :glare:

Reactions: BlazeMasterBM

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Ace3DS Plus uses the WoodR4 Kernal in order to play games. I'm not quite sure if Wood runs by itself, but will test that once I have access to my 3DS again. If it did, I'd assume that the support would be great. (By YWG.)
:unsure:
That would be great if a $7 cart could run geuine Wood, but I don't think this is the case here. Quoth the Goblin:

Important Distinction said:
Now, there are so many fake Wood R4 versions which have nothing to do with me. Only Wood R4 for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com), and AK RPG are supported by me. I can only fix bugs for these specific releases. Do not post bug reports or ask for updates to clone cards running a fake version of Wood.

Eh, darn. Well if they can keep up with YWG's updates. I have no complaints. We'll see here since YWG just released a update, how long it takes for it to get onto the Ace3DS Plus.

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Great review for a first time :D
*edit*
Where can I purchase this cart @Devin ? So theres no black and white 2?

Not yet, this flashcart uses Wood 1.49. Black, and White 2 are fixed in 1.5. I did however just get word that they are now going to work at updating the firmware to 1.5.

I'm not allowed to post any links, I think. A quick google search would lead you to a reseller.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
this card is not supported by ywg, and the official team has failed to comment on where the source code comes from. does it have the feature updates up-to wood 1.49 or just the compatibility updates? this team is either using the old sources or something else is going on.

wood is heavily encrypted so i do not think they are using new sources. however, if the new kernel of wood runs then i would have to say that this card is a clone of a supported flash kit. let us know what other builds by YWG run on this (both old and new). would you also test to see if any old builds of akaio run on this? perhaps also 1.9.0 to see what message you get?

you can do argv direct rom booting with the supplied kernel? can you test some argv homebrew to see if they work?

-another world

mybluered

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just can not understand why so many boys cheer for this clone? Why this review is even on the main page of gbatemp.net? DS flashcards have come to the end of their life. We are now expecting cards which can support 3DS roms.

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this card is not supported by ywg, and the official team has failed to comment on where the source code comes from. does it have the feature updates up-to wood 1.49 or just the compatibility updates? this team is either using the old sources or something else is going on.

wood is heavily encrypted so i do not think they are using new sources. however, if the new kernel of wood runs then i would have to say that this card is a clone of a supported flash kit. let us know what other builds by YWG run on this (both old and new). would you also test to see if any old builds of akaio run on this? perhaps also 1.9.0 to see what message you get?

you can do argv direct rom booting with the supplied kernel? can you test some argv homebrew to see if they work?

-another world

I'm asking them as well directly. As for everything else, I'll test them and report back to you.

The game show up as "Alex Rider: Stormbreaker" if that helps any.

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
I'm asking them as well directly. As for everything else, I'll test them and report back to you.

I made a simple test homebrew for you to see if the Wood kernel is recent. If it boots back to Wood, it's recent.
http://www.mediafire...9yn00qe41l33mwt

btw--This feature was introduced on v1.45
http://gbatemp.net/topic/321715-wood-firmwares-v145/

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I made a simple test homebrew for you to see if the Wood kernel is recent. If it boots back to Wood, it's recent.
http://www.mediafire...9yn00qe41l33mwt

btw--This feature was introduced on v1.45
http://gbatemp.net/t...firmwares-v145/

Not sure if it's because I'm using a 3DS, but it makes a "Software Closed" screen and goes to the 3DS's home menu.

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
*yawn* Complain about it if you want. Unless it doesn't get any support, it's a solid budget card. If it doesn't get support, I'll simply change the scoring but until then your prejudices against clones doesn't matter.

Testing more games, and homebrew out. We've got that covered.

Yes Gold, it does the job. Includes a pretty nifty OS, which includes a bunch of Emus already built in.

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Old 1.40 Wood does exactly like what you say.
Wood version is below 1.45 and above 1.33 (CRC calculation included, but I haven't taken the time yet to check what kernel it might be...also some of the updates have been game only updates...). Game fixes are correctly up to date with what is shown on the site (pokemon Conquest works correctly). The main point this shows is that Ace3DS+ is definitely not an official Wood supported flashcart. Currently, YSMenu also doesn't quite work either so it's pretty much a full reliance on the Ace3DS team to back their stuff up. IMO, the original Ace3DS might be a better choice if anything (should be able to use YSMenu if nothing else). Btw if anyone cares, it's an R4ils clone.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
i hope you amend the intro to mention that this card does not officially support wood and the kernel it is running is indeed based off very old public source code.

Yes Gold, it does the job. Includes a pretty nifty OS, which includes a bunch of Emus already built in.

an award is for the full package, not the fact that its cheap and works. they could end support tomorrow. even if they are able to update games, it will never run the new build of wood that has features the old did not. also, how can you award on the fact that it comes compiled with homebrew emulation? so you are now paying for free emulators and that means it should up the score? i think perhaps you should step back and look at the whole picture. no one is trying to attack you personally, but there are legitimate reasons why so many feel it isn't worth gold. perhaps you should consider those?

i don't know what a full round of testing would reveal, but based on what i read i couldn't see this getting higher than a silver. it might do somethings right and come in at a very affordable price, but it accomplishes these things under false pretenses.

-another world

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
an award is for the full package, not the fact that its cheap and works. they could end support tomorrow. even if they are able to update games, it will never run the new build of wood that has features the old did not. also, how can you award on the fact that it comes compiled with homebrew emulation? so you are now paying for free emulators and that means it should up the score? i think perhaps you should step back and look at the whole picture. no one is trying to attack you personally, but there are legitimate reasons why so many feel it isn't worth gold. perhaps you should consider those?

i don't know what a full round of testing would reveal, but based on what i read i couldn't see this getting higher than a silver. it might do somethings right and come in at a very affordable price, but it accomplishes these things under false pretenses.

-another world

I can see where you're coming from. I suppose I was thinking more in the short term, instead of the long term. It works pretty good now, is getting some support, but what if like you said support is dropped tomorrow. I do have a PM to send you either over the Temp, or IRC. I suppose right now, we've got a flashcart clone running a outdated copy of Wood R4 that is only getting game updates. Now reading that back, the card doesn't sound so good. I want to try a few more things out, send you that PM, and then I'll change the scoring a bit.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
the issues i see with more testing are that compatibility won't tell us much. i am assuming that its just old wood with loader updates. it would be interesting to find out if they have fixed any problem homebrew or roms. if that is the case then perhaps new features aren't as important. but, i suspect that they are simply adding loader updates and recompiling the source for new roms and not touching anything in the core.

i am not trying to sound hyper-critical towards your review, so i hope i haven't come off that way. it is an excellent effort for a first flash kit review. i just think that a bit more evidence should be uncovered and that the review should be updated appropriately. you should reserve your final judgement until that time.

-another world

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    A @ anotherthing: The Nintendo servers are going down in 9 days anyway.