Add a Credit Card to your Japanese PSN Account

Since already I went to the trouble to take pictures and translate some screens in this thread, I figured this should have its own tutorial.

FAQ

Q: Will PSN Japan even accept credit cards from outside of Japan?
A: Yes, it works. They accept Visa and MasterCard for sure. I haven't tried any others, but if anyone else comments with helpful info, I'll add it to this FAQ.

Q: Why should I add a credit card to my Japanese PSN account?
A: A lot of websites tell you how to add funds to your PSN Wallet, but they all involve buying Japanese PSN cards from various places online. If you link your credit card to your Japanese PSN account, you cut out the middlemen who jack up the prices of these PSN cards. It's cheaper (and faster) to link your credit card.

Q: This tutorial assumes I already have a Japanese PSN account. How do I set one up in the first place?
A: There are tons of tutorials that tell you how to do this. This is just one of the first results that came up when I searched for it. I created my Japanese PSN account ages ago, and at the time I didn't think to take pictures of the step-by-step process. In the future I'll create another account and take pictures and post fully-translated screenshots here.

Q: Can I redeem US/EU PSN card codes to charge my PSN Wallet in my Japanese account?
A: Good question. I'll get back to you on that.

Q: How can I help expand this tutorial?
A: If you would be willing to take pictures of your screen while navigating your Japanese PSN account and post them here, I will be more than happy to translate them and integrate them into this FAQ. Right now this is just a "How-to-Add-Your-Credit-Card-to-your-Japanese-PSN-Account" tutorial, but I would love to expand this into a comprehensive FAQ about the Japanese PSN.

Add a Non-Japanese Credit Card to your Japanese PSN Account

:arrow: Album Link

BatsuKamuro

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Great tutorial. I made it all the way to the end but received the below message after selecting a yen value and confirming my selection. Of course you can use this in your tut.

JPSN message.jpg

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the timely response. I will contact Sony to determine the possible causes for this. The logic is probably similar if not exactly the same to the JPSN logic.
If you can do that and post Sony's answer here once you find out what's wrong, it would probably help out a lot of people :)

And thanks for the clear screenshot! I'll definitely use it in the tutorial.

BatsuKamuro

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you can do that and post Sony's answer here once you find out what's wrong, it would probably help out a lot of people :)

And thanks for the clear screenshot! I'll definitely use it in the tutorial.

The only thing Sony US offered was an address conflict. I working on getting getting in touch with Sony JP. I wonder what's the likelyhood of getting an english speaker. Did you have a hard time finding a good candidate for your Japanese address?

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
so, did you actually manage to buy anything? or you simply 'added' it to your account?

tried to use my card and it didn't go though, i wasn't surprised. i think i read something a few months ago about them fixing it up to stop people from doing it..? hmm
i wish tehy would accept paypal just like the us store does, i think.. :)

Al J. Krimson

Trophies
XP
Country
Hello! Several days earlier I registered jp psn account to get Silent Hill 4 The Room. Today's I wanted to buy it. I've added a credit card(VISA) and it confirms OK. Then I try to get SH4, but get an error something in japanesse and code error 56. What is this and why it happened?
PS. main account from UK PSN

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh Densetsu. If you'd like I can take uh, better 1080p screenshots of the process and post them here when I get back from the doctors. ^-^

578534_493353644057247_1527678987_n.jpg

This would work for other regions as well right?

EDIT: Blleeeeh old tutorial.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Hello! Several days earlier I registered jp psn account to get Silent Hill 4 The Room. Today's I wanted to buy it. I've added a credit card(VISA) and it confirms OK. Then I try to get SH4, but get an error something in japanesse and code error 56. What is this and why it happened?
Could you post an imagine of the error screen?

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys, sorry I've been so busy I haven't had time to do much around the 'Temp, including micromanaging my FAQs.

Last week I tried to redeem a US PSN code for $50 on the Japanese PSN, and it didn't work. I took screenshots of it, will upload later.

so, did you actually manage to buy anything? or you simply 'added' it to your account?

tried to use my card and it didn't go though, i wasn't surprised. i think i read something a few months ago about them fixing it up to stop people from doing it..? hmm
i wish tehy would accept paypal just like the us store does, i think.. :)
Yes, I was able to buy and download stuff with the 5000 yen credit I had on my account way back when I made the tutorial. But the PSN store has undergone some big changes lately, and I haven't tested it with the new interface (personally, I hate the new interface). I'll have to try it out again and see if this tutorial still applies to the new PlayStation Store.

Like Minox said, please post a screenshot of the error so we can translate it for you.

Oh Densetsu. If you'd like I can take uh, better 1080p screenshots of the process and post them here when I get back from the doctors. ^-^

This would work for other regions as well right?

EDIT: Blleeeeh old tutorial.
That would be awesome, Devin. I have no reason to believe it wouldn't work for other regions if it works for the US. But like you said, it's an old tutorial now. All the information on this FAQ was accurate last summer, until the PlayStation Store underwent its UI overhaul. So I think this is due for a complete rewrite.

Al J. Krimson

Trophies
XP
Country
It's the same message posted in the screenshot above.
Thanks. But my credit card have enough money of cause :) why this message is happen? Maybe it's the funds conversion problem. However, my card is VISA so it works in every country in the world. Jp address I took from this FAQ. And when I create JP account it works perfect, i mean there was no address error or when I added credit card no error was too. But still cannot buy anything in JP Store. Strangely :)

Silent Xenocide

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The address you enter on PSN has to be the same as the address associated with your credit card. So when you enter in the fake Japanese address, it will always fail to add funds, because it is different from the address on your credit card. In order to purchase stuff off the Japanese PSN store, you need a Japanese credit card, or a Japanese PSN card.

ElYubiYubi

GBATemp Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Does this still works. Im trying to add my PayPal account in the Japanese PSN Store and looks like I cant. I wanted to get the Free Trials of PS Plus and PS Now for the games.

And anyone know how to be able to play Dragon Quest X on a NA account if its possible?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does this still works. Im trying to add my PayPal account in the Japanese PSN Store and looks like I cant. I wanted to get the Free Trials of PS Plus and PS Now for the games.

And anyone know how to be able to play Dragon Quest X on a NA account if its possible?
I have a Japanese account. it's not hard to make one, but I don't know about payment options. my ps4 is a Japanese unit actually. I made a Japanese account to get this really shitty dragon quest theme, when we could exploit anything above 4.05. huge mistake, but at least I'm on 5.05 now. I recently changed my Japanese account's email address to make that one my main account's. iirc, it asks for your birth date, if you can't read Japanese.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Nope. Not into gaming.