Gaming [?] Advice for the screen on this GBA SP?

sniper_x002

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
So I found a famicom edition GBA SP at a thriftstore for 3000 yen and it works great, but the screen in the center has this weird faded out issue, it almost looks like dirt got in there or something. Not really sure how to describe it. Does anyone know what it might be? At first I was thinking I could replace the screen, but it stays the same even when switched off so then I thought maybe I could take it apart and clean it. Any suggestions?
(tip: look in the center of the screen and you can see it faded out a bit - and if you look on the track outline in both pictures you can see various black dots around which is also part of the damage)
1013545820411149162%253Faccount_id%253D1
1630278898029601444%253Faccount_id%253D1

sniper_x002

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
That’s some gnarly scuffing. I doubt you can buff out. I’d get a new lens. You can Ebay one for around $6-7. They have nice glass lenses too.
You think it's the lens? Hopefuly. I should find out soon once I open it up, I'm just having some trouble finding a tool that can do so. Best case scenario it's just dirty so I can clean it up, otherwise I'll probably swap it out for a good one from one of my other GBA's temporarily (I don't have any 101 screens btw). I did find glass creens, which looks sweet, but will it fit with the famicom theme? I mean, glass aside, would it look any different?

slaphappygamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That spotting! (Maybe I zoomed in too much. The second photo) I had this once. I frontlit a gameboy color and the loca didn’t fully cure. That’s what it looked like. I let the loca cure on a window sill, through a screen. I just had to let it sit in the direct sun to complete the curing. Hopefully I’m wrong in your case and it’ll just be the lense. Anyhow, the glass lense is easy to clean and scratches less easy. Light passes through glass better than plastic. The picture will be a bit clearer. I’ve seen them in the reddish color that matches the famicom theme. You might want to order new “pads” as well. I usually damage them when taking the screen out.

sniper_x002

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
That spotting! (Maybe I zoomed in too much. The second photo) I had this once. I frontlit a gameboy color and the loca didn’t fully cure. That’s what it looked like. I let the loca cure on a window sill, through a screen. I just had to let it sit in the direct sun to complete the curing. Hopefully I’m wrong in your case and it’ll just be the lense. Anyhow, the glass lense is easy to clean and scratches less easy. Light passes through glass better than plastic. The picture will be a bit clearer. I’ve seen them in the reddish color that matches the famicom theme. You might want to order new “pads” as well. I usually damage them when taking the screen out.
So I got it (painfully - I really need a triwing screwdriver) apart. It appears the damage is done straight into the LCD, I was able to get the red Gameboy Advanced Lens thing off no problem, but there's still damage underneath it. I know I can find lenses for gameboy advance' that are glass but do you know where I can find a glass one for the famicom edition? I can't find one.

Last edited by sniper_x002,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Thats pretty cool.