Hacking Any open source Menu/Loader for flashcarts?

roytam1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
It seems that there is no open source Menu/Loader for flashcarts that can run commercial .NDS ROMs.

IIRC there is woodrpg and AceKardRPG sources available in the past but not now, and no Menu/Loader are actively developed now.

DeadSkullzJr

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It seems that there is no open source Menu/Loader for flashcarts that can run commercial .NDS ROMs.

IIRC there is woodrpg and AceKardRPG sources available in the past but not now, and no Menu/Loader are actively developed now.
Wood and Acekard kernels were never open sourced, that I know of at least. Kernels are usually never open source. I have already tried talking to many developers asking what they used to make such things. I can't get an answer from anyone. That in itself makes it harder for me to learn anything when nobody is giving me any clues as to what I need to be using. I don't know if this has anything to do with the kernel but the SuperCard DSTWO SDK is actually available to the public. You need a Linux environment in order to actually do anything with it unless of course you manage to make it work on Windows computers.

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Wood and Acekard kernels were never open sourced, that I know of at least. Kernels are usually never open source. I have already tried talking to many developers asking what they used to make such things. I can't get an answer from anyone. That in itself makes it harder for me to learn anything when nobody is giving me any clues as to what I need to be using. I don't know if this has anything to do with the kernel but the SuperCard DSTWO SDK is actually available to the public. You need a Linux environment in order to actually do anything with it unless of course you manage to make it work on Windows computers.
You need devkitpro and libnds to write a flashcard kernel. Many kernels were even written with palib (which you shouldn't do).

Zaphod77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
actually the acekard RPG kernel (the files you put on the sdcard to boot) WAS open sourced. and a LOT of team modified it for their own carts.

pretty sure the file are still available. and it was pretty easy to develop using that source, considerign so many people modified it.

but since it was not GPLed, they didn't have to give anything back.

However, there's also the actual firmware of the cart (what bypasses the DSi/3DS blacklists), and the source to THAT has never been released for any cart that i know of, as it is always hardware specific.

Building a decent open source kernel simply caused a LOT of competition to crop up, so no one wants to do it again, and pirates are not going to respect the GPL anyway. :)

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, there is an open-source menu for flashcards, and still in development.
It's called SRLoader. It uses YSMenu or Wood (depending on the flashcard) to load commercial ROMs, both of which aren't open source (but the latter was).

Last edited by RocketRobz,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    S @ salazarcosplay: @Xdqwerty how are you?