Hardware Anyone successfully use a 256gb micro? (Tldr post)

Inhuman-Art

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Curious if anyone uses a 256gb micro in their 3dsXL? And is your card working fine, etc. Secondary question; i have about 150 games on the 128 and it is full, so i have a 64gb, if i system transfer will both memory cards still work? It wont be a biggie if not but id just like to know, has all my VC and indie games on it.

--------tldr part but info

Now for a back story, don't read if you don't care why im asking but I am unsure if ab256 is just too big. Loaded everything fine, starts up slow but all games ran great (slow at first he certainly why I think I've a dud, returning it and trying an in a few days when im off, but if they don't work then I'll just return and get a second 128, but curious about that multi memory card during system transfer)

I'd bought a Samsung Evo 256 and themes wouldn't load, corrupted data from the Pokemon rumble world (that game is tied somewhere in the system, I had 11k diamonds as I never used them however I had downloaded it on both cards when testing, deleted it from one and it was gone on the other)

Smash Bros also corrupted the data in way, told me it is not the most recent save and deleted it. No biggie as everything else was preserved outside of these and LBX just deleted my save, but I'd not even played it on the SD anyway, bought it physical years ago and sold my system, decided to go back)

Anyway blogfaqs but end result my SD card is reading perfect on all counts, all software finds nothing to repair, yet it wouldn't hold themes and after a format and simply placing the newly fat32 32 cluster into the system, blank after a zero out, it still wouldn't hold themes. So I'm going to assume as I loaded all data from the 128 into the old 128 again, everything is fine (exceptions being those three game saves, very odd, like if you used an old back up you'd have to restart anyway) but even tho it's checking out, it may be corrupted firmware as I got it rather cheap third party on Amazon, 128 bucks)

buckshot6

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A 256gb card works the problem is it is better to use the ftpd to transfer games back and forth to the card. Why dont you copy every thing on the card to a folder on your pc format a card fat32 that is 256gb then only use a ftp program to copy files back and forth. Using the pc to transfer files back and forth usually corrupts the files or card. Alot of time just copying and pasting to a fresh card works then use the ftp program to transfer stuff back and forth.

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Curious if anyone uses a 256gb micro in their 3dsXL? And is your card working fine, etc. Secondary question; i have about 150 games on the 128 and it is full, so i have a 64gb, if i system transfer will both memory cards still work? It wont be a biggie if not but id just like to know, has all my VC and indie games on it.

--------tldr part but info

Now for a back story, don't read if you don't care why im asking but I am unsure if ab256 is just too big. Loaded everything fine, starts up slow but all games ran great (slow at first he certainly why I think I've a dud, returning it and trying an in a few days when im off, but if they don't work then I'll just return and get a second 128, but curious about that multi memory card during system transfer)

I'd bought a Samsung Evo 256 and themes wouldn't load, corrupted data from the Pokemon rumble world (that game is tied somewhere in the system, I had 11k diamonds as I never used them however I had downloaded it on both cards when testing, deleted it from one and it was gone on the other)

Smash Bros also corrupted the data in way, told me it is not the most recent save and deleted it. No biggie as everything else was preserved outside of these and LBX just deleted my save, but I'd not even played it on the SD anyway, bought it physical years ago and sold my system, decided to go back)

Anyway blogfaqs but end result my SD card is reading perfect on all counts, all software finds nothing to repair, yet it wouldn't hold themes and after a format and simply placing the newly fat32 32 cluster into the system, blank after a zero out, it still wouldn't hold themes. So I'm going to assume as I loaded all data from the 128 into the old 128 again, everything is fine (exceptions being those three game saves, very odd, like if you used an old back up you'd have to restart anyway) but even tho it's checking out, it may be corrupted firmware as I got it rather cheap third party on Amazon, 128 bucks)
TL;DR like hell now to a not so TL;DR response

256GB is to damn big as u will run into 300 icon/folder/badge limit of the home menu

Reactions: dsearnack
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Inhuman-Art , you bought that 256GB off of eBay didn't you? There are a lot of convincing fakes sold there. You should open an eBay case and get your money back if you did.

For these large capacity SD cards to work, these 2 minimums have to be met.
(1) (Properly) formatted in FAT32 with a cluster size of 32 KB under a program that can handle doing more than 32 GB.
(2) Actually be a LEGITIMATE card that has the actual physical capacity that matches its printed capacity. Most fakes have only around 4 GB.

The 3DS should be capable of handling SD card with capacity up to 2 TB (yes two terrabytes), even though Nintendo officially rates it at 32 GB. Of course no such SD card exists at this time. There is a 400 GB SanDisk on the market, expected 512 GB micro SDXC sometime this year, and 1 TB SanDisk showcased in late 2016? not yet planned for released.

At these massive sizes, things like game icons and in-game play will load up slowly but data should NEVER delete themselves off. This is a big telltale sign you have a counterfeit card writing over its own data.

It is important to always check and verify if your card is the real deal using a program like H2testw , even if that package it came in gave no indications of being fake and the eBay seller reputation is clean.

Inhuman-Art

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, it's in the tldr portion, the giant wall, had a huge problem that I was troubleshooting here.

Anyway it is a legit brand SanDisk, everything checks out but I just think it was corrupt from the get go. Or I placed it in my SD reader and about 7 mo ago I had a problem with the reader a d other sds didn't work so had to buy a new one. PC converted to raw so o had to zero it out and I think it just didn't work after that

And yes you will actually hit the cap before 300. I've 500 games but I've only 150 or so installed. Just large titles, on a 128. 256 l wouldn't see that happening

So the question is does anyone use one and does it work properly? I think I just got a dud

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyway it is a legit brand SanDisk, everything checks out but I just think it was corrupt from the get go.

What program did you use to verify your micro SD card is real? Just because it has SanDisk printed on it does not make it real. Windows Explorer Error Checking in right click Properties will not detect if the card is real or fake.

Reactions: wicksand420

Inhuman-Art

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
H2 and flash test. All came out clean same as my 32 Evo, 128 Evo, etc. Bought those from best buy

Buying another from.BB today and just going to return the old one open box, something is definitely wrong with it.

These programs may not be the best but it's what I've always used. I think it may be my PC tho, I've corrupted two sds in the past from plugging into my faulty pc SD reader and it converts to raw, doesn't work in anything after that. Possible that is corrupted the firmware

Inhuman-Art

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll try that. I got one from.best buy and it's still not saving themes.

There was a small section that was "reserved" that needed to be done at Ed as it wouldn't read, so the card just doesn't save info for themes. Partition as a reserved spaced, first I partitioned just the space and left the reserved alone but system isn't seeing it. Deleted partition and formatted. No theme saving. Everything else works fine but I'm unsure if this will be a problem. Even shuffle doesn't work

Maybe 256 is just too big?

Inhuman-Art

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That SD formatter doesn't allow for formatting the SD to fat32 32cluster, just has options to format, so it sets it to exfat and the 3ds cannot recognize it.

Tried on two different systems and nothing. Themes just don't save.

Idk if the 256 is just TOO big

Reactions: TurdPooCharger
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That SD formatter doesn't allow for formatting the SD to fat32 32cluster, just has options to format, so it sets it to exfat and the 3ds cannot recognize it.

Tried on two different systems and nothing. Themes just don't save.

Idk if the 256 is just TOO big

My apologies. I've been giving bad information to you and several members here previously about SD formatter. I just checked the latest release, and it does not in fact have the option to format in FAT32. Previous versions did at one point. Thank you for pointing out this inconsistency, and I will make sure to take note directing users to programs that do FAT32 for SD cards over 32 GB. I've read some others mention using something called GUI FAT32Formatter, but I haven't tried this myself to verify.

Edit: I do not have a 256 GB micro SDXC but do have a 256 GB SDXC with SD to micro SD adapter. A quick Google search yields no definitive results that anyone has ever actually attempted a 256 GB card on a 3DS or N3DS. Perhaps you are the first to have broken this supposed fact that the 3DS can handle any size so long as it is FAT32 with 32 KB cluster size. I may be able to help you determine if this is the case.

20180113_145828.jpg

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

Inhuman-Art

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've always used mini partition tool

Either way this is two 256 SD cards that give the error on fresh formats

So now I've a question that's not been answered; has anyone USED a 256?

If so what brand? This is a Samsung 256 Evo plus, tried two and all the data runs fine but it seems to take a moment to boot up and does not save themes. I've deleted the theme database to recreate them, deleted the themes, reinstalled, tried this on two systems (different nnid) and both systems have the theme not saving after power down issue. I'm just not sure if the card is unstable for the size as it loads the home menu slowly, while the 128 works perfectly fine.

Also if you system transfer and have two cards, will both cards work? I know the target card will be fine but I wonder about the secondary. I'd just be returning these and get another 128 and be done with it.

Hatchetball

RepititionRedundancyRepitition
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been using MiniTool Partition Wizard to format my(or clients) microSD/SD cards that exceed 64GB to use with 3DS.
I haven't tried a 256GB but do use 128GB's in 3 of my systems and really there is no need to have more unless you are hoarding games.
I've noticed several times 128GB (yes legit) microSD cards corrupt often. Use FTP transfers even if it can be slower.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So now I've a question that's not been answered; has anyone USED a 256?
Other than this quick but questionable video clip of someone using a Samsung 256 GB micro SD on his N3DSXL, no. No one has or no one who has done so, has reported it here or other forums that they did at this size. You are in uncharted waters.

New 3ds xl Test chạy thẻ microsd 256gb samsung - herogame.vn

Edit #2: 3ds Micro SD Cards
@remlei states he is running a 256 GB card.

Edit #3: Do 256gb cards even work on 3ds?
@Shikkichu states he too uses a 256 GB, although not at its full potential.

If so what brand? This is a Samsung 256 Evo plus, tried two and all the data runs fine but it seems to take a moment to boot up and does not save themes. I've deleted the theme database to recreate them, deleted the themes, reinstalled, tried this on two systems (different nnid) and both systems have the theme not saving after power down issue. I'm just not sure if the card is unstable for the size as it loads the home menu slowly, while the 128 works perfectly fine.
The card brand really shouldn't be an issue if it's Samsung, SanDisk, PNY, Lexar, etc. It just has to be a real card. What you are experiencing may just be an undiscovered bug that happens at these sizes. We don't know for sure at this moment.

Also if you system transfer and have two cards, will both cards work? I know the target card will be fine but I wonder about the secondary. I'd just be returning these and get another 128 and be done with it.
Are you using homebrew such Luma3DS and boot9strap? The 3DS is capable of using multiple SD cards as long as it is tied to that specific console. Did you do a system transfer online or through the computer?

Edit #1: Alright folks. I am currently backing up all my stuff on teh 256 GB card onto a hard drive. When this finishes, I will be reformatting and testing this card on my N3DSXL by copying stuff off my 128 GB micro SD. We should hopefully be able to put this question to rest whether or not the 3DS actually is compatible at this size.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,
Reactions: Inhuman-Art

Inhuman-Art

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please let me know the answer as everything works BUT themes. I've tried two Evo Samsung cards and all the game data is fine except a few games that have some odd nnid ties, boots up a bit slow, 128 works perfect and still does after a reformat, fill w zero, and put everything from the original 128 back on, everything is fine (except those few games)

256 does everything right but themes just don't save after going into the data management options menu (settings) or after powering off. It will stay in sleep mode and while playing a game however.

I'm just concerned of further data corruption. If I just have to pick a theme each time whatever, so long as it doesn't fail on me.
If you have succeeded with getting a theme to save please let me know the make and model of that 256gb.

Also no home brew/hax. Planned on doing so hence why I got this card, plus my 128 is full. Currently using a 128 and a 64. Unsure if I transfer to my Samus edition that both card will work and not just the 128.

Also that sucks to find out uncharted waters. Thing is I was told by various people they use them. I'm just experiencing some data corruption originally and then themes stopped working. Did everything troubleshoot you can think of.

Can't wait to hear your reply, returning it if it doesn't work.

Last edited by Inhuman-Art,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Comprison_3.jpg

Can you verify whether or not your Samsung Evo Plus has a white edge/rim? In the past, I unknowingly bought a fake 256 GB (got my money so no worries). One of the quick ways you can tell a fake one is that white edge.

Inhuman-Art

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yea it has the reinforced housing. Both were real.

Also to the poster that will be testing the card. DO NOT OPEN SMASH BROS, or if you have lbx/Pokemon rumble world. Somehow, maybe activity log, soon as you place an old save even if you didn't play it, it deletes it. Lbx just deleted and I never opened it, did it on both cards and the 128 had just been copied. Smash did the same thing just from being copied

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: @AncientBoi are you there :tpi::tpi::tpi: