Hardware Anyone successfully use a 256gb micro? (Tldr post)

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yea it has the reinforced housing. Both were real.

Also to the poster that will be testing the card. DO NOT OPEN SMASH BROS, or if you have lbx/Pokemon rumble world. Somehow, maybe activity log, soon as you place an old save even if you didn't play it, it deletes it. Lbx just deleted and I never opened it, did it on both cards and the 128 had just been copied. Smash did the same thing just from being copied

I actually have all three of the games you listed. Thanks, I'll go try them out as a starting point.

For the time being you should check in System Settings > Data Management > Nintendo 3DS > Software. See if any of your missing games are listed there with a crossed out X. If they are, that means the game is still installed on the 3DS but your system refuses to acknowledge them because they are missing their, Tickets.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

Inhuman-Art

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Everything there. Basically smash gave me a prompt saying "save file not the latest save file" and deleted it. What prompted the whole thing is rumble world just corrupting. I've heard the save data lives in the extra folder, unsure if this is true. So I booted it up on my old SD, and it gave me the same error. Now with rumble world, the save booted fine on initial install to the 256. All of it did. World corrupted, but it oddly corrupted on the untouched 128.

I had deleted it off the 128 but NOT the 256. Game was completely gone. No save data to BE corrupted on the 256 like it was moments ago (only thing it did was pop out of my system) so idk if these games are tied to activity log but it just straight wiped the saves. Nothing else is wrong. Even backing g up old data over the 128 all I have to do is redownload the dlc. That's about it

Now I'm just troubled with themes. Idk if I can even transfer. All themes are downloaded they just don't save.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you tried Checkpoint to transfer game saves between cards? If your SD cards are tied to two different NNIDs, your saves can't be copied over using only a computer.

For themes, do you use Anemone3DS to set them in place? The 3DS Theme Menu will not recognize themes you did not purchase on eShop.

romanaOne

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A 256gb card works the problem is it is better to use the ftpd to transfer games back and forth to the card. Why dont you copy every thing on the card to a folder on your pc format a card fat32 that is 256gb then only use a ftp program to copy files back and forth. Using the pc to transfer files back and forth usually corrupts the files or card. Alot of time just copying and pasting to a fresh card works then use the ftp program to transfer stuff back and forth.

If your (non-fake) cards repeatedly get corrupted in your PC, there is probably something wrong with the reader. I was having the same problem. Then I got a new laptop last year and all my SD corruption problems suddenly went away. Way back when I got that laptop, 16GB was a huge SD card. Maybe the reader didn't even support larger cards....

It would take days to transfer 200+ GB with ftpd. I never use if for anything bigger than save backups and homebrew installs.

Use godmode9 to format SD cards. "SD Formatter" (Windows), "Disk Utility" (Mac), "Disks" (Ubuntu) have all been over-complicated, broken shite for me. gm9-formatted cards seem to work more reliably (and faster) in all my handhelds.

The biggest cards I use now are 64GB, originally formatted exfat, reformatted FAT32 (AUTO cluster size) with gm9.

Last edited by romanaOne,

Inhuman-Art

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If your (non-fake) cards repeatedly get corrupted in your PC, there is probably something wrong with the reader. I was having the same problem. Then I got a new laptop last year and all my SD corruption problems suddenly went away. Way back when I got that laptop, 16GB was a huge SD card. Maybe the reader didn't even support larger cards....

It would take days to transfer 200+ GB with ftpd. I never use if for anything bigger than save backups and homebrew installs.

Use godmode9 to format SD cards. "SD Formatter" (Windows), "Disk Utility" (Mac), "Disks" (Ubuntu) have all been over-complicated, broken shite for me. gm9-formatted cards seem to work more reliably (and faster) in all my handhelds.

The biggest cards I use now are 64GB, originally formatted exfat, reformatted FAT32 (AUTO cluster size) with gm9.
Actually with this new card I used a different PC as suggested in an earlier post. Still, same error. Flash the 128gb and place the files on the 128, both PC's, nothing happens. Nothing's wrong. Even put the SD (128) into my SD card reader, windows read it as raw, popped it out and back into the system, no issue.

So I think 256 is just too big. It seems to save everything fine, all of the games load, all of the files save, even backed up FROM the 256 drop into the 128 and nothing was wrong. All was the same.

So I'm just seeing an error with the 256 and themes at the moment. It takes the system a bit of time to boot up, so during shut down it doesn't seem to remember to look for the home menu file that it creates

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Have you tried Checkpoint to transfer game saves between cards? If your SD cards are tied to two different NNIDs, your saves can't be copied over using only a computer.

For themes, do you use Anemone3DS to set them in place? The 3DS Theme Menu will not recognize themes you did not purchase on eShop.
No both SD are tied to the same nnid, I'm just curious if I get another 128 that seems to take fine and transfer to the new system that both cards will still work, or if it's just the target card. (My main)

Im pure digital, so everything I have is on those cards. Not sure where the saves are.

Also like I said I bought the card to use hax, so everything is have is legit purchases. Just multiple SD cards.

I even formatted the fresh SD on a brand new rig, put it in the system (the home menu was still present, folders and such) and just downloaded a theme. Turned on the theme, turned off the system, reboots with no theme. All legit purchases.

So I reformatted from a different PC (I live at my business so I've got a gaming rig, an old rig I use for network and internet, and my business PC's. ) Put it into a different system with a "test" nnid I intended to try out hacking on first, created theme data, chose the black theme, rebooted, loaded without a theme.

So it just seems this size of card loads with no theme. I can select the theme but I cannot actually get the theme to "stick"

Anyway waiting on the other poster to try out the old SD and see if the same issue persists. Everything works but themes. Corrupted smash, lbx, and Pokemon rble world, unsure why world corrupted, just sort of happened. I got a refund but I had like 11k diamonds.

It is good to know smash saves don't actually have the ability to back up

So soon as I hear if the 256 held themes and all went well then something is wrong on my end on all of my PC's, or maybe it's just micros. Idk. I just worry of corrupt data from the 256 or transferring the data to my new system and it corrupting. Prob safer to do with the 128 and just get a second 128

Last edited by Inhuman-Art,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On my 128 GB card, I couldn't install Little Battlers eXperience due to running out of space. Not planning to delete games to make space. I played some Super Smash Bros on v1.1.7 update. I have Pokemon World Rumble, but it asked for a Mii (didn't make one, don't plan to). There are three themes on shuffle using Anemone3DS. This test is going to be half-assed, so only two out of the four can be tested against.

For the 256 GB card, GUIformat for some reason wouldn't reformat it in FAT32. I ended up using my go to program AOMEI Partition Assistant to do this. Everything from the 128 GB card is being copied over to the 256 GB at this moment, but it is going to take some time before it finishes.

Inhuman-Art

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On my 128 GB card, I couldn't install Little Battlers eXperience due to running out of space. Not planning to delete games to make space. I played some Super Smash Bros on v1.1.7 update. I have Pokemon World Rumble, but it asked for a Mii (didn't make one, don't plan to). There are three themes on shuffle using Anemone3DS. This test is going to be half-assed, so only two out of the four can be tested against.

For the 256 GB card, GUIformat for some reason wouldn't reformat it in FAT32. I ended up using my go to program AOMEI Partition Assistant to do this. Everything from the 128 GB card is being copied over to the 256 GB at this moment, but it is going to take some time before it finishes.
Keep in mind with smash; it seems, even with the net DC, if you play on the new memory card (the 256) and then put your 128 back on, it will tell you that you've not got the latest save so it auto deletes.

I don't know why rumble world was corrupt, but when I deleted it off the 128 it was still installed on the 256 and a test 32 gb, both the 32 and the 256 were deleted as if they never existed.

Very odd. Lbx just gave me a message saying "deleting all save data" at boot and started me fresh. No idea what's up with that. Idk of these games (smash and lbx) using some sort of ranking system so if you lose and place and old save it deletes it to punish you. Theory only but just be careful if you've got stock in smash. Mine I had already deleted the data to start over again so idc.

I just don't want data corruption so I'm not sure if I should use the 256. Any time I play a game and save, it works just fine. Played for five hours on monhun, turned the system off, played another two hours (noticed the theme was gone so reselected it, hadn't gone into the theme shop so o figured it needed to save again or something) went to do my daily round of diamonds I horde for no reason and the damn save was corrupt.

So it's been a fun process upgrading to a 256 this far.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
A 256gb card works the problem is it is better to use the ftpd to transfer games back and forth to the card. Why dont you copy every thing on the card to a folder on your pc format a card fat32 that is 256gb then only use a ftp program to copy files back and forth. Using the pc to transfer files back and forth usually corrupts the files or card. Alot of time just copying and pasting to a fresh card works then use the ftp program to transfer stuff back and forth.
Your SD card reader must be broken if it's corrupting your files. Either that or you aren't safely ejecting it. I've had no problems with my SD cards corrupting when transferring files.

Inhuman-Art

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In theory 3DS supports up to 2TB sd cards with FAT32 format so 256GB should works fine.
So far, I think the theory is a theory, and may be incorrect.

Tried with three systems now, three PC's, have pending refunds for two SD cards (tried a pny brand) and all don't load with a theme. They work perfectly fine and all badge data sticks, but when you power down, themes don't actually stick, so you manually reapply them.

They will stay after playing a game or sleep mode, but power down, it takes awhile for the system to boot, so unless the other poster says that old SD 256 (non micro) I've now tried three PC's and three SD cards, waiting on refunds for two. They don't work with themes, or at least booting to have a theme. Reverts to white. Looked up fixes for that and nothing works. Even a fresh card, returned (so technically 4 256) just formatted it and placed it into a new system (my Samus one I want to transfer to) placed the black theme and rebooted. Nothing. White again

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Your SD card reader must be broken if it's corrupting your files. Either that or you aren't safely ejecting it. I've had no problems with my SD cards corrupting when transferring files.
Are you using a 256gb micro? I've used three PC's, comically I live at my business doing data recovery, just recovered four SSD that went completely blanked, got all data and access database files off. Also replaced a pcb on a mechanical, but I love sdd technological mode software lol.

The 32 gb, two brands, 64, and 128 all work fine regardless of how I'm transferring it. It's just this damned 256. Pny and Evo plus.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, the results are in. After some finickiness trying to clamp down the pins with a mini-hack saw blade (long story) on my cable adapter to the SD card, I got it to work. This micro-to-standard SD flex cable has seen better days before it was used on an iPod Classic with an upgraded SD card mod. I removed the housing that encloses the SD card to try to fit that in the iPod with a thinner profile, so contact points between pins aren't as good as they should be. Nonetheless, it still works with those bobo adjustments.

Boot time was about the same vs my Lexar 128 GB micro despite having this jerry rigged flex cable. The three themes that were installed using Anemone3DS persisted after booting the 3DS on and off. I opened up Super Smash Bros to see if my save and records were still there. Played some Smash with two fingers to see how laggy it was. It was surprisingly not. The save and record did not self delete.

I don't know what other tests you would like me to run, perhaps install LBX now that I have enough space? Since this current 256 GB is temporary for quick troubleshooting, I cannot 100% be certain that 256 GB capacity is stable on a long term basis with the 3DS. More testing and input is needed from others.

There are too many unknowns and variables that are out of our control & understanding for why you are having difficulties with your setup, @Inhuman-Art. I would say if you have any buddies with 3DS'es themselves, you should try lending them your card to see how one of their systems reacts.

20180113_204640.jpg

20180113_204647.jpg

Edit : The 256 GB card (with a usable capacity of 238 GB) has 117 GB filled up. The number of titles installed is approximately 160.

Edit #2 : Maybe you can send me your save files? Extract them using Checkpoint.

Inhuman-Art

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, the results are in. After some finickiness trying to clamp down the pins with a mini-hack saw blade (long story) on my cable adapter to the SD card, I got it to work. This micro-to-standard SD flex cable has seen better days before it was used on an iPod Classic with an upgraded SD card mod. I removed the housing that encloses the SD card to try to fit that in the iPod with a thinner profile, so contact points between pins aren't as good as they should be. Nonetheless, it still works with those bobo adjustments.

Boot time was about the same vs my Lexar 128 GB micro despite having this jerry rigged flex cable. The three themes that were installed using Anemone3DS persisted after booting the 3DS on and off. I opened up Super Smash Bros to see if my save and records were still there. Played some Smash with two fingers to see how laggy it was. It was surprisingly not. The save and record did not self delete.

I don't know what other tests you would like me to run, perhaps install LBX now that I have enough space? Since this current 256 GB is temporary for quick troubleshooting, I cannot 100% be certain that 256 GB capacity is stable on a long term basis with the 3DS. More testing and input is needed from others.

There are too many unknowns and variables that are out of our control & understanding for why you are having difficulties with your setup, @Inhuman-Art. I would say if you have any buddies with 3DS'es themselves, you should try lending them your card to see how one of their systems reacts.

20180113_204640.jpg

20180113_204647.jpg
Thanks for this;

I'm not sure of it's the SD vs micro, but I've formatted these and have tried now on three systems with the same results. Basically formatting, placing in a different 3ds, booting up, and then no theme.

Now one test because this is when my error occurred as I swear I had powered off.

Put in a different SD (like your 128) and open up smash or something, close out, and then boot this up. I recall downloading earthbound from the eShop (I'm assuming your titles are digital as well, and are they all legit or any Homebrew?) Once I placed the 256 back in that's when rumble world corrupted, and the themes. So I guess try to put in the old SD, play smash, then put this 256 back in and see if these errors or smash data is off?

One major question is during format. Originally the SD card came with a reserved space on the card. I could format the space but since the reserve was exfat it would not recognize on the system, so I had to format the card with mini tool and delete everything. I'm not sure if that small reserve space would have actually done anything other than just removed the partition.

Also what software did you use to format the 256? If it wasn't mini tool I'd like to know what it was and try that as I'm just going to return this card since you're showing they can work, but on a regular SD, unsure still of a micro how they are built. My 128, 64, etc never had a reserved partition. Only these 256. I can't imagine that would actually do anything to the card, as it's just control space but nothing of importance.

So I suppose first, what formatting program did you use? I'll try that if it wasn't mini. I just recall the issue began when I swapped my cards. Everything worked perfect until that time.

Also thanks for showing all this. Means it's possible.

remlei

Trophies
XP
Country
256gb microsd cards should work just fine, just buy the UHS-1 type cards not the UHS-2 as it wont work due to interface difference.

I can already hear some people ranting about "64gb is large enough for the games etc.....", yeah yeah I know but there are some situations that buying a 128gb is wiser than buying a 64gb, cost wise, not only that, possibility of longer life of the sd card as of many games tends to write frequently on the sd card for save games, since most of the microsd cards have a builtin trimm like support (just like on a ssd on your desktop computer).

Inhuman-Art

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
256gb microsd cards should work just fine, just buy the UHS-1 type cards not the UHS-2 as it wont work due to interface difference.

I can already hear some people ranting about "64gb is large enough for the games etc.....", yeah yeah I know but there are some situations that buying a 128gb is wiser than buying a 64gb, cost wise, not only that, possibility of longer life of the sd card as of many games tends to write frequently on the sd card for save games, since most of the microsd cards have a builtin trimm like support (just like on a ssd on your desktop computer).
Evos are uhs-1.

I'd just never seen an SD card with a reserved space on it. Couldn't format the reserved to fat 32 so it had to be deleted and partitioned completely. The card did work, just now that I think of it I downloaded a game and then decided I wanted it on the 64gb (earthbound) and when I placed the 256, all of these errors happened. I'm going to do a test on something as well, but I'm mainly curious about the formatting software that was used on that 256, and if swapping cards, re-downloaded a game (VC game is what I did) and then swapping back, had already downloaded the same game, and I've had glitches ever since. Oddly it remembers the badges.

cots

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure if this is unrelated, but my themes wouldn't save until I did a system format after upgrading to b9s. I am using a 200GB MicroSD card and everything works fine.

Inhuman-Art

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's the one! Saw it at bb today for 60, 200 would be enuff

I'm not sure if this is unrelated, but my themes wouldn't save until I did a system format after upgrading to b9s. I am using a 200GB MicroSD card and everything works fine.
This is actually what I'm testing.

Let me ask; how do you protect your save data? Currently im about to format the system memory but when I place the old card back on I'd need to re-download all of those titles yes?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Put in a different SD (like your 128) and open up smash or something, close out, and then boot this up. I recall downloading earthbound from the eShop (I'm assuming your titles are digital as well, and are they all legit or any Homebrew?) Once I placed the 256 back in that's when rumble world corrupted, and the themes. So I guess try to put in the old SD, play smash, then put this 256 back in and see if these errors or smash data is off?
I have a mix of (fre)eShop, custom self made VC injects, personal ripped carts, and that Chaos + ISO games installed.

Wait? Just so I am following the instructions correctly:
- Remove my 256 GB card from the 3DS.
- Put back 128 GB card into the 3DS.
- Power the 3DS. Go to Super Smash Bros. and play it.
- Exit back out into Home Menu.
- Turn off the 3DS. Remove the 128 GB card.
- Put in the 256 GB card. Turn on 3DS. Go back to Super Smash Bros.
- Open up SSB. Check if error messages occur.

One major question is during format. Originally the SD card came with a reserved space on the card. I could format the space but since the reserve was exfat it would not recognize on the system, so I had to format the card with mini tool and delete everything. I'm not sure if that small reserve space would have actually done anything other than just removed the partition.
I had a tiny reserved space on mine too. I deleted that and combined the partitions into one. Maybe that will help, maybe not. Try checking eliminating that tiny partition corrects an indexing issue.

Also what software did you use to format the 256? If it wasn't mini tool I'd like to know what it was and try that as I'm just going to return this card since you're showing they can work, but on a regular SD, unsure still of a micro how they are built. My 128, 64, etc never had a reserved partition. Only these 256. I can't imagine that would actually do anything to the card, as it's just control space but nothing of importance.

So I suppose first, what formatting program did you use? I'll try that if it wasn't mini. I just recall the issue began when I swapped my cards. Everything worked perfect until that time.

Micro SD and SD cards are nearly identical save for that lock-out slider pin, which is software based. Other than form factor, they operate the same. That's why micro SD-to-SD (vice-versa) SD-to-micro SD adapters poses no problem using either in any SDHC/SDXC devices, like the 3DS doesn't see a difference which type they are (just the capacity).

I am running Windows 8.1, 64-bit Home Edition. The program I used to reformat the 256 GB card is called, AOMEI Partition Assistant. The latest of that software is v6.6 , but I'm on v6.0 due to laziness. It isn't a free software, but that shouldn't be a problem for you to give it a try, yes?

Let me ask; how do you protect your save data? Currently im about to format the system memory but when I place the old card back on I'd need to re-download all of those titles yes?
Try backing up your saves on Checkpoint and back loading it onto the 256 GB card. I would like to know if your symptoms of save deletes go away doing this.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users