Hardware Anyone successfully use a 256gb micro? (Tldr post)

Inhuman-Art

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a mix of (fre)eShop, custom self made VC injects, personal ripped carts, and that Chaos + ISO games installed.

Wait? Just so I am following the instructions correctly:
- Remove my 256 GB card from the 3DS.
- Put back 128 GB card into the 3DS.
- Power the 3DS. Go to Super Smash Bros. and play it.
- Exit back out into Home Menu.
- Turn off the 3DS. Remove the 128 GB card.
- Put in the 256 GB card. Turn on 3DS. Go back to Super Smash Bros.
- Open up SSB. Check if error messages occur.

I had a tiny reserved space on mine too. I deleted that and combined the partitions into one. Maybe that will help, maybe not. Try checking eliminating that tiny partition corrects an indexing issue.

Micro SD and SD cards are nearly identical save for that lock-out slider pin, which is software based. Other than form factor, they operate the same. That's why micro SD-to-SD (vice-versa) SD-to-micro SD adapters poses no problem using either in any SDHC/SDXC devices, like the 3DS doesn't see a difference which type they are (just the capacity).

I am running Windows 8.1, 64-bit Home Edition. The program I used to reformat the 256 GB card is called, AOMEI Partition Assistant. The latest of that software is v6.6 , but I'm on v6.0 due to laziness. It isn't a free software, but that shouldn't be a problem for you to give it a try, yes?
Yes that's the correct step. I downloaded a VC game and then deleted it, put in a different SD card and re-downloaded it, switched back and all was well until the corruption of the Pokemon world. Then I tried smash and it deleted the data.

Far as partitions I just deleted the entire card, then formatted it so it didn't have that 32kb partition marked reserved. But yes both micro and standard work the same I'm just making a statement that a standard works, but others have confirmed 200 works so I can't see why the 256 micro wouldn't work. I've been thinking in the back of my head it's something to do with flashing the system memory. I am just unsure as to how to protect the data or do I need to re-download all of these games?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I have a mix of (fre)eShop, custom self made VC injects, personal ripped carts, and that Chaos + ISO games installed.

Wait? Just so I am following the instructions correctly:
- Remove my 256 GB card from the 3DS.
- Put back 128 GB card into the 3DS.
- Power the 3DS. Go to Super Smash Bros. and play it.
- Exit back out into Home Menu.
- Turn off the 3DS. Remove the 128 GB card.
- Put in the 256 GB card. Turn on 3DS. Go back to Super Smash Bros.
- Open up SSB. Check if error messages occur.

I had a tiny reserved space on mine too. I deleted that and combined the partitions into one. Maybe that will help, maybe not. Try checking eliminating that tiny partition corrects an indexing issue.

Micro SD and SD cards are nearly identical save for that lock-out slider pin, which is software based. Other than form factor, they operate the same. That's why micro SD-to-SD (vice-versa) SD-to-micro SD adapters poses no problem using either in any SDHC/SDXC devices, like the 3DS doesn't see a difference which type they are (just the capacity).

I am running Windows 8.1, 64-bit Home Edition. The program I used to reformat the 256 GB card is called, AOMEI Partition Assistant. The latest of that software is v6.6 , but I'm on v6.0 due to laziness. It isn't a free software, but that shouldn't be a problem for you to give it a try, yes?

Try backing up your saves on Checkpoint and back loading it onto the 256 GB card. I would like to know if your symptoms of save deletes go away doing this.
I do not have cfw unfortunately. I wouldn't be able to do this at this time. All I'm having troubles with is themes now, all the saves are in tact outside of smash and lbx, they just delete themselves.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so these popped up after going back to my 128 GB card and trying SSB. I think it is the sysNAND remembering your last Super Smash save having a newer time stamp than the one on your old card. Try messing with the time and date in System Setting between the cards after doing quick plays. Your problem is unique to each game that requires up to date saves that either match or must be newer than the dates in the sysNAND.

20180113_221130.jpg

20180113_221139.jpg

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

Inhuman-Art

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so these popped up after going back to my 128 GB card and trying SSB. I think it is the sysNAND remembering your last Super Smash save having a newer time stamp than the one on your old card. Try messing with the time and date in System Setting between the cards after doing quick plays. Your problem is unique to each game that requires up to date saves that either match or must be newer than the dates in the sysNAND.

20180113_221130.jpg

20180113_221139.jpg
Actually tried that, looked at when the last time and date I transferred and set it to the exact time, didn't do anything still gave the error.

Now are themes still working on the 256?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Going back to 256GB, themes still work. I don't know if you're using a homebrew theme manager as these work somewhat different than Nintendo's.

I tried changing the date by one year back while on the 256 GB card, opened up Smash, backed out, turned off system, and tried using Smash on the 128 GB card. You're right, doing some flippant System Setting date/time changes does nothing.

Inhuman-Art

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did the same with Pokemon world. Just delete it off the 256 and it was gone from the other card.

I've actually got that software you have, same version.

Idk if it's due to your have cfw, but mine is stock newest firmware from ninty. Unsure if that's causing problems

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Huh, very interesting. So I backed up with Checkpoint my Smash save on the 128 GB card and then deleted it in-game when it nags about how it's not the latest data. After Smash recreates a new save, I went back to Checkpoint to restore that save. Opened Smash again, and the game accepts it as is.

There was a pop up screen about how Smash was writing ext data on the SD card. I think this is the security measure where sysNAND checks if the save is valid for only that SD card.

Edit : Okay, tried checking Smash on the 256 GB. No bueno. Nintendo definitely tried implementing an anti-cheat from backing up your saves onto a second SD card. I think the purpose of the measure is that your lose records follow you. You can't erase or undo having lost in matches?

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

Inhuman-Art

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Huh, very interesting. So I backed up with Checkpoint my Smash save on the 128 GB card and then deleted it in-game when it nags about how it's not the latest data. After Smash recreates a new save, I went back to Checkpoint to restore that save. Opened Smash again, and the game accepts it as is.

There was a pop up screen about how Smash was writing ext data on the SD card. I think this is the security measure where sysNAND checks if the save is valid for only that SD card.
Yea I think it may be something due to your home brew. I've not looked into actually hacking the system yet as I'm unsure if I can on latest firmware, what I'd need to get your set up to test this, and if everyone using these 200+ cards is on stock noncfw no Homebrew. I don't know if it will transfer to a new system either.

Checking the program to see if I can format with that, else I think I can't go above 128

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
... I've not looked into actually hacking the system yet as I'm unsure if I can on latest firmware...
Well, great news because today is your lucky day.
https://3ds.guide/
https://3ds.guide/
Custom firmware can be applied on all 3DS'es on any firmware, including 11.6-0.39U . At this point, I don't believe your 256GB card(s) were the issue as you can play most games just fine after copying stuff over from 128GB. It's those anti-cheating save implements on those games you have trouble with that prevent straight up copying and then playing the original 128 GB saves. You're definitely going to need to hack your 3DS and use Checkpoint if you want to successfully transfer those over.

Inhuman-Art

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The saves arent important, it's the stability of the card.
Now I've got AOMEI 6.3

Did you do a delete (quick) or total wipe? Just used this to format, did a quick and set the SD card back to the fat32. The original "reserved" partition has long been lost so I'm not sure if that was a controller to the card or not.

Themes just aren't loading when I reboot. I'm not sure if it's safe to use the card on this state? I mean I don't care the themes don't load but it's the corruption of world, then lbx and smash (smash seems to be able to be recovered)

Just curious on the formatting. That little partition shouldn't have been anything but a security partition at best. I had to delete it in order to get the system to recognize the SD. But the other software isn't working to format the card to save the themes either.

Also good info on the cfw. I'd assume it would be able to transfer correctly to a new system then. I just can't for the life of me figure out these themes.

Last edited by Inhuman-Art,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did a quick reformat when changing 256GB card to FAT32. The only point of a full reformat is so that nobody goes snooping around trying to recover your (not really) deleted data if you plan to sell or give the card to someone else.

Do you have a second 128 GB card to copy over and test against? See if the missing theme and game save issue pops up on that.

Inhuman-Art

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I
I did a quick reformat when changing 256GB card to FAT32. The only point of a full reformat is so that nobody goes snooping around trying to recover your (not really) deleted data if you plan to sell or give the card to someone else.

Do you have a second 128 GB card to copy over and test against? See if the missing theme and game save issue pops up on that.
Yup, ive currently about 600 in pending refunds lol. I've bought a few cards today. The 128 gb work but the 256 do not. Got a pny as well. It just keeps deselecting the theme to "use no theme" upon reboot or exit from options. Not during sleep mode.

This has got me stumped

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I

Yup, ive currently about 600 in pending refunds lol. I've bought a few cards today. The 128 gb work but the 256 do not. Got a pny as well. It just keeps deselecting the theme to "use no theme" upon reboot or exit from options. Not during sleep mode.

This has got me stumped

I mean to say, do you currently have two 128 GB micro SD cards in your possessions?

Inhuman-Art

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes bought another today in the event I take this one back via Amazon returns (never done that so trying to see what caused this)

Imported the original copied data to it after format (it did not have a reservation data space, Evo card) and all works fine. So I've got two copies of the same card. Just this damned 256, not just the Evo but the pny as well

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For those two 128 GB cards, what happens when you plays Smash on one, then open Smash on the other, and then go back to playing Smash on the first? Does that (not latest data) message pops up?

Inhuman-Art

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yup, same with deleting Pokemon world. World is now gone so even when I re-download there is no save, it's like it saves it internally. So that's been gone but Nintendo gave me a 35 credit so all good

Question. Can a hacked system transfer to a non hacked or do I need to hack my new system first?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A hacked 3DS unit may transfer saves to another/different/separate nonhacked 3DS unit using Nintendo's System Transfer (only for "legit" games with the correct ticket & title ID, etc), although I'm a little iffy ifthey know and allow this to happen for games you didn't buy from them. This is considered ill advised as Nintendo would definitely know your hacked 3DS is obviously hacked if you have out of region games and homebrew apps installed. People usually transfer saves between two non-hacked 3DS units, then hack the new/main one -or- transfer saves between two hacked 3DS units using JKSM or Checkpoint.

Reactions: Inhuman-Art

Inhuman-Art

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A hacked 3DS unit may transfer saves to another/different/separate nonhacked 3DS unit using Nintendo's System Transfer (only for "legit" games with the correct ticket & title ID, etc), although I'm a little iffy ifthey know and allow this to happen for games you didn't buy from them. This is considered ill advised as Nintendo would definitely know your hacked 3DS is obviously hacked if you have out of region games and homebrew apps installed. People usually transfer saves between two non-hacked 3DS units, then hack the new/main one -or- transfer saves between two hacked 3DS units using JKSM or Checkpoint.
Now I read something of someone finding a fix for the theme issue being formatting the emunand or the other data and it corrected it. I'm unsure if it's possible to do something like this without cfw.

Now keep in mind I won't be system formatting as I tried that on a different system, formatted the SD card, and still it will not hold a theme. Idk what the hell happened here. This is giving me a headache lol. I'd only go cfw if I'm able to use a 256 so I can compile all 500+ games k own and use an r4 card to download D's games.

I just can't figure this one out.

Also it was mainly if the hacked system files are SD based so if I transfered to a non hacked it would be a hacked system from the SD file data.

Inhuman-Art

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ordering a 200. Curious if this is a firmware thing. Tried on a fresh system (I've 5 cc with 4k+ balances so now I'm curious about this issue seeing the resolution. I was able to hack one and set up a new nnid, flash the nand and keep then tied together and the card worked, but when I just formatted and placed it in stock updated it had the same error)

So the above poster, you have that 200gb. I don't think I'd need anything bigger than that but I'm curious, are you using cfw as well?

BTW the hacked system is my test system so I've not touched my legit purchase system. I've got like 1k+ in pending refunds lol, but my curiosity piqued when it worked after flashing the nand on cfw. I recall seeing a recent theme update that did nothing after the transfer and it went fubar. I've not accessed the theme shop in awhile so idk of that theme update causing problems, but seeing as those saves can be recovered with cfw it's in the system memory. Did a lot of tests on stock to see if it worked and failed all of them.

Inhuman-Art

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I figured it out

ANSWER

the system CANNOT read more than 99gb of space on the SD else it will go fubar. Themes won't save upon boot. 64 clusters for a 256

Everything works fine

I set it to have an unallocated space of a 128 gb card and everything is normal. Put ONE gb over (100gb free)

Themes are gone

So, if you want to use a large volume card, partition it (let's say you've maxed your 128, partition it to the same size as the 128, and add another 90gb. Once you've reached the limit, copy all data OFF the card, reformat to Fat32 and partition larger volumes, or just extend the partition. Just do not have more than 99gb free)

So it can use it at stock. It reads 999,999 blocks on a 256. Loads just the same, slow at first but it's stable.

Works.

Damn, I went through way too much effort on that. Least my CC's will be fixed lol.

Edit,

99 is incorrect, just worked when I copied. I'm testing ATM, 64 GB free works, 99 does not, so taking down in increments of 5gb to test. It will NOT work with 32 cluster correctly, unstable upon boot, 64 unfortunately needs to be used but is the standard for that little SSD)

Will post updated info. Also doesn't matter the software. Mini partition tool worked just as well as my damn purchased Aomei, 6.3 just updated to 6.6)

So the free tool works fine

Inhuman-Art

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay so it works.

I ran into multiple issues, namely the theme problem.

If I format to a Fat32 at the full size everything worked but themes. When I copied all data (except smash, don't play it if you have any errors, try the next steps if simply format at Fat32 32 cluster (I'm using 64 cluster as 32 did not work on the evoplus 256, may be benchmark issues) originally the system loaded games very slowly, all worked fine until I swapped SD cards, then the whole thing went fubar.)

So,

I partitioned it at full partition, failed to save themes upon reboot. Then I wiped (someone or mini partition tool, didn't matter, used both, Aomei on 6.3 originally, then to 6.6, just testing versions)

I set it at a partition where it was the same as a 128 gb (119.25gb) and it failed. Originally I'd thought it was 100 gb as it failed at 100 but NOT at 64gb split partition.
So I set it to 64 again, 64 cluster, Fat32. Then I bumped it up in increments of 10 until i reached 99. Just extending the partition. I tried extending a failed then partition but it didn't take. So this is from a fresh 64gb partition split with the rest unallocated. I moved it up to 100. No fail. So I figured screw it and jumped to a 128. Now I've the flu ATM and my brain is fried from doing a massive database recovery this week so I hit 199.25 (not 119.25) so I figured it had failed. Each time I bumped it I checked themes. Swapped sds, etc. This time it was fine.

So I just went the whole bang and pushed it to full partition of the unallocated. Works. No problems.

Now I downloaded a theme to let it connect to my themes, nnid, etc, powered down, powered on, all was well. Swapped cards, swapped back, both cards were fine ( I have one for Indies, a 64 GB)

At this point I kept the data in the dbs file from the 256 and did not copy those two files over, when I did I had the error and had to go back to partition at 64 (if I started a partition over 100 it failed) so keep the dbs folder from your 256.

Copy the contents in (long string/long string) but do not copy your theme data 00002cd and home 00008f) from the original 32, 64, 128gb. In the 0000000 folder whatever themes you have that live in 0004008c, copy all of them except what you downloaded prior. This may NOT BE NEEDED but the other time I copied a file that wasn't on the stable card it went to hell so anything on the card, basically don't copy those specific files, long story short)

Then I just dropped the title folder in and it's working.

This is a trouble shoot if you have theme errors or any problems with large volume cards. I used three PC's, three systems, two nnid, and three brands of 256 cards. Got the error each time, so if your lucky you'll not have to do any of this, but this is a short recap to solve problems if you have them)

Basically format the card with mini tool or Aomei, whatever formatting tool you like, used three as well ( I like threes, third time's the charm) and partition the 256 and a 500gb as well, to a 64gb partition and the rest unallocated. Put the card in the system to check for errors such as themes not saving on reboot or anything opening REALLY slow. Reformat if this happens. You should see your themes are fine and all is well. You can try to jump the partition (extend/resize) to the unallocated portion, and then you put your card in and check your themes, camera, etc to make sure they load upon reboot and open normally. You may notice it takes a second longer to boot but this may just be the size of the card. End of the day I think the system dbs corrupts when the card initially reads almost a million blocks)

Download a theme, freebie if you don't buy them just in case you wanna. Make sure all is well and only copy the files and folders over that DO NOT EXIST on the new 256/500gb card.

I'm now using a 256 Evo plus with zero issues. I maxed a 128 with about half the 300 limit, but my 64gb is about maxed just from the damn indie count I have on it.

So hopefully if anyone is using these cards or even had that weird theme not saving glitch, this is what I did. Tried for five days now just out or curiosity as it's easily fixed flashing emunand on cfw but if youve not gone cfw and are legit, this fixed my theme not saving upon reboot issue and my problem with save data not loading (smash didn't tell me I had an error now, odd, but I did play the game from the files I'm transferring so it was technically the last save)

I need to get a job fishing or something, and get away from data recovery and computer tech. This stuff obsessed me. Also I have to fix the housing and SD reader on my PC, didn't notice they broke. I'll probably just buy a new case, screw it.

K bye

Small problem for a big fix, and lots of presents again!

Reactions: Negatronic

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended