Hardware Anyone successfully use a 256gb micro? (Tldr post)

Inhuman-Art

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Test edit to avoid data/game unpacking error

If you format with the original method of partitioning (if in the event you do not receive errors, everything I'd seen had shown these errors on cards over 128) put your SD card into your PC, delete all contents, and copy over a known good backup. Smash will delete it's data (see prior posts on how to recover this with cfw) and ensure you do not reformat. So long as the original partition took, it allowed me to restore on all three 256 and the one 400gb micro)

The only error I'd received is I had added a few games to the redownload list that I had to delete the card info as I was unable to log into the theme collection, failed over and over.

These showed as 0mb to download and failed. Restarted and all is well.

This is the last of my testing of massive cards. If anyone finds this helpful, good. A lot of people don't use these large cards but there are reasons for using them especially on cfw, but legit if you're trying to buy the entire catalog of larger profile games, you WILL run out of space on a 128, so of you have the above error where the theme database does not allow you to log in, and your games are repacked, delete everything off the card without a reformat and copy/paste everything from your old known good card into the large capacity. Tested multiple times and avoided the above error.

Smash and poke rumble world seem to be tied to nand memory of the system, same as lbx, so ensure you do not play these on the new large volume until you have actually succeeded in a no error format.

This will be closed but hopefully people looking for answers will find this useful.

Now off to repair my washing machine and sew my damn memory foam slippers I just got back together (cheap crap) and make a new case for my PC.

Bye!

BizyB

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
@Inhuman-Art. I've Just been referred to this thread by @TurdPooCharger because i'm also using a 256GB µSD card. After problems with the absence of the themes at startup and long startups (35s) I now have the card formatted with a Gateway emuNAND (Not really relevant but I just want to be thorough) and the remaining space with fat32 and a clustersize of 64 sectors per cluster. So far I don't have any problems but I will keep a close eye on it and will let y'all know if anything changes.

Because I moved the complete contents of the SD card back and forth it might be the case that the DB has been put below the by you mentioned sector and doesn't show any errors anymore but atm i'm thinking that the speed (or better lack thereof) might be the culprit. Since a clustersize of 32 noticeably slows down the speed it might be that loading the themes will be skipped.

Inhuman-Art

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Inhuman-Art. I've Just been referred to this thread by @TurdPooCharger because i'm also using a 256GB µSD card. After problems with the absence of the themes at startup and long startups (35s) I now have the card formatted with a Gateway emuNAND (Not really relevant but I just want to be thorough) and the remaining space with fat32 and a clustersize of 64 sectors per cluster. So far I don't have any problems but I will keep a close eye on it and will let y'all know if anything changes.

Because I moved the complete contents of the SD card back and forth it might be the case that the DB has been put below the by you mentioned sector and doesn't show any errors anymore but atm i'm thinking that the speed (or better lack thereof) might be the culprit. Since a clustersize of 32 noticeably slows down the speed it might be that loading the themes will be skipped.
Actually on the hacked system formatting the emunand was the only way I could get the damn thing to work with themes. Everything else worked fine! Didn't have to go through any of the crazy formatting, but that 64 cluster and the amount of open blocks seemed to have shocked the system, I don't honestly have a clue, but I'm glad it worked. I've now tried two 200gb and had the same issue, but resolved it with formatting at s 64gb card and popping it in, and then extending the partition to max about a quarter of the remainder of the space and checking if it was still holding, all has been well. Returned those also so just using the Evo now, but it's stable!

I'll b hacking my Samus edition soon just been working doubles and triples this week and have this bacterial flu going around. I'm beat to shit right now lol

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ive a 256GB micro SD. Should I format it to 32kb or 64kb? Its already on 32FAT
  1. Copy everything off the 256 GB card.
  2. Reformat it in FAT32 + 64 KB cluster size with guiformat.
    • Cards that are 64 GB and smaller should use 32 KB cluster size.
  3. Full Write + Verify the empty card using H2testw. Don't skip this step if you don't want unexpected grief later.
  4. If the card passes, delete the *.h2w test files. A reported error means the card is faulty and needs to be replace.
  5. Before copying your files back, create a test setup. Install several GBA VC games and do a 10 themes shuffle install with Anemone3DS.
  6. Check for the presence of the GBA VC graphical bug and whether your 3DS can install all 10 themes.
If no problems were encountered for those two, delete the test setup and add back your stuff.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,
Reactions: Maxkhoon

Negatronic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have always used 128gb micro formatted with 32kb cluster.

A) should I be using 64kb cluster for 128gb cards?

B) (on cfw) I should be fine upgrading to a 200gb micro (64kb cluster), as long as I at no point try to boot it up with > 99gb free space on it?

C) setting up a new system with a 200gb+ micro..... I will use the stock 4gb micro throughout the Luna 3ds setup, then copy the contents from the 4gb card to the 200gb card (along with the bulk of my CIA files) and at no point I will have > 99gb free.

Does that sound reasonable?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A) should I be using 64kb cluster for 128gb cards?
You can if you want to and if there are no issues with GBA VC and theme shuffle. Try the instructions posted above you.

If you have MiniTool Partition Wizard (Pro version), do not take shortcuts using the Change Cluster Size feature.

B) (on cfw) I should be fine upgrading to a 200gb micro (64kb cluster), as long as I at no point try to boot it up with > 99gb free space on it?
You can boot with less than 1 MB of free space for all that 3DS cares. Tried it before with a standard 256 GB in FAT 32 + 64 KB cluster using a micro-to-full flex cable adapter. Just know it'll get slowly the less free space there is.

C) setting up a new system with a 200gb+ micro..... I will use the stock 4gb micro throughout the Luna 3ds setup, then copy the contents from the 4gb card to the 200gb card (along with the bulk of my CIA files) and at no point I will have > 99gb free.

Does that sound reasonable?
Not reasonable. You bought that 200 GB card to add all that you need and more. Hoard away. Muhaha!

Skaidus

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I remark the mini partition wizard pro version cause I used the free one and the 3DS didnt detect de SD. With fat32 ui tool it worked

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I remark the mini partition wizard pro version cause I used the free one and the 3DS didnt detect de SD. With fat32 ui tool it worked
I use SD Memory Card Formatter for cards that are improperly formatted and not recognized by Windows File Explorer. If that program does not recognize the SD card, that means the card's most likely hard bricked.

There are several other settings the card must be formatted in for the 3DS to read/write to it.
  • Format: FAT32
  • Cluster Size: 32 KB
    • Depending on conditions: 64 KB (optional)
  • Partition: Primary
  • Disk: MBR

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +1
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped... +1