Hacking [B9S+GM9+Luma3DS] Black screen on boot

tyons

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
So, a few days ago I installed the whole thing following the guide here: https://3ds.guide
A few minutes ago, I was playing a (retail) game and then I wanted to close it, so I pressed the Home button. The game froze, so I powered off the console by holding the power button.
Now the 3DS will boot to a black screen, however:

- I can access the 3DS' recovery mode (L+R+Up+A on boot);
- I can access GodMode9 by holding Start on boot;
- I can access Luma's config screen by holding Select on boot;
- I can access the Rosalina menu at any time while having the black screen.

So, the first thing I would do is restore the last nand backup, but I'd like to make sure this problem doesn't happen again. Does anyone have an idea of what it could be?

tyons

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
thanks. I can't tell now because I've already restored the nand backup. if it happens again I'll look for that (but I dunno how exactly I could recognize what's corrupted).

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If this happens again in the future where it boots and hang on the black-blank screen without going to Home Menu, try entering into Recovery mode by holding (A)+(R-shoulder)+(L-shoulder)+(Up, D-Pad) right when you turn on the 3DS. After several seconds, there should be a prompt to Update your Nintendo 3DS system. Select Back to turn off your 3DS. Try turning on your 3DS to see if this resets a soft brick issue.

NeoRashi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Does it boot without the SD card in? (If it turns off, make sure you finished finalizing-setup). If so that means you have some corrupted data in the Nintendo 3DS folder, have a look through and try to find it and delete it.

This was exactly the same scenario with my 3DS!

For anyone wondering, about a week ago I was just playing a game of Super Smash Bros. 3DS when all of a sudden I got an error displayed on the bottom screen of my 3DS. Something about the game cartridge being ejected (albeit that my copy of Smash is on my SD Card, not on a cart.) The error had a Luma error display style to it so I thought it was just a bug from the custom firmware. I had to reboot my 3DS cause of it but my 3DS wouldn't turn on afterwards which was really weird.

Tldr; to anyone who experienced the same scenario as me. Go to this link here. It'll take you to the trouble shooting section of the 3DS guide, just go to the "Black screen on SysNAND boot" section and do step 1. It'll clear out the corrupted data from your 3DS and hopefully restore your system without having to do a NAND boot.

Reactions: Quantumcat

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This was exactly the same scenario with my 3DS!

For anyone wondering, about a week ago I was just playing a game of Super Smash Bros. 3DS when all of a sudden I got an error displayed on the bottom screen of my 3DS. Something about the game cartridge being ejected (albeit that my copy of Smash is on my SD Card, not on a cart.) The error had a Luma error display style to it so I thought it was just a bug from the custom firmware. I had to reboot my 3DS cause of it but my 3DS wouldn't turn on afterwards which was really weird.

Tldr; to anyone who experienced the same scenario as me. Go to this link here. It'll take you to the trouble shooting section of the 3DS guide, just go to the "Black screen on SysNAND boot" section and do step 1. It'll clear out the corrupted data from your 3DS and hopefully restore your system without having to do a NAND boot.
In the future, you can make better links https://3ds.guide/troubleshooting#black-screen-on-sysnand-boot

Reactions: Quantumcat

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FzVN9kIUNxw +1