Beginner's Guide To The EZ-Flash 3in1

A Beginner's Guide To The​
EZ-Flash 3in1
imgres.jpg

INTRODUCTION
The EZ-Flash 3in1 is a slot 2 expansion pack originally made as a sidekick to the EZ-Flash V for use on the Nintendo DS lite, but with the release of the source code other flash cart can use this awesome slot 2 expansion. It's called 3in1 because it has GBA, RAM, and RUMBLE.
This is a beginner's guide aimed at those who are new to the EZ Flash 3in1.

What you need to get started

SET UP

1. Download GBAExploader and extract/unzip it to your computer.

1.1.png

2. Copy and paste these 2 files to the root of your microSD memory card.
GBA_Exploader.nds and GBA_Exploader.ini

2.1.png

3. Create a folders in the root of your microSD memory card and name it “GBA”.
GBAExploader will generate these two files (GBA_SAVE & GBA_SIGN) the first time you start up GBA_Exploader.nds

3.png

4. Copy and paste your (unpatched) GBA games into the “GBA” folder
Each time you run a game GBAExploader it will automatically patch it for you.

5. Launch GBA_Exploader.nds, pick your game and enjoy.

Flash cart that does not need GBAExploader

There are a few flash cart that can play GBA games without the need for programs like GBAExploader, but you will still need the EZ-Flash 3in1 or similar slot2 cartridge.
Here's a few of them:
  • Acekard 2i with AKAIO
  • WOOD R4
  • cycloDS iEvolution
  • M3
  • iEdge
  • EZ Flash Vi
  • iSmart Premuim

Using the EZ Flash 3in1 with these flash cart are pretty easy. Here's a few quick mini guide.
1. Make a “GBA” folder in the root of your microSD memory card
2. Copy and paste your GBA roms into that “GBA” folder.
3. Put everything back into your DS and turn it on.
4. Go to your “GBA” folder and open it to see all your roms
5. Just click on the game you want to play and WOOD will do the rest

Note:
You can select Ram or NOR by pressing (Y) when the rom is highlighted.
WOOD only support the older EZ Flash 3in1
If you have a newer EZ-Flash 3in1, than use GBAExploader.

4. Go into the cycloDS iEvolution’s settings menu.
5. Scroll all the way to the bottom and enable “GBA Support”. While in the settings menu you can set your rumble to your desire rumble strength .
6. Go to your “GBA” folder and open it to see all your roms
7. Just click on the game you want to play and the iEVO will do the rest.

NOTE(1):
You can select Ram or NOR by pressing SELECT

NOTE(2):
For the "original" cycloDS, the OS (firmware) is almost the same as the cycloDS iEvolution, so the process is the same as the cycloDS iEvolution.
Just follow step 1-7 in this spoiler.

4. Go to your “GBA” folder and open it to see all your roms
5. Highlight the game you want to play and press (A). You will be given 3 option
(X) NORFLASH
(B) Cancel
(Y)PSRAM
Select the option you want, and your game should start.

NOTE:
You can set the rumble strength in the settings of the EZ5i.

Should be the same as the cycloDS

Same as EZ5i

I will add a few more at a later time.

Helpful Tips & Random Stuff

Everything is stored in your microSD memory card of your slot 1 cartridge, except for games that are written to NOR.

There is 3 mode, PSRAM, NOR, and EXPANSION.
  • PSRAM Mode
    Most games (16mb or less) should be run from PSRAM.
    PSRAM is temporary memory, from which the game will disappear after powering off
  • NOR Mode
    For some games (32mb) you’ll have to write them to NOR before you can play them. A few example is Kingdom hearts and Mother 3.
    NOR is semi-permanent memory which will allow your EZ-Flash 3in1 to mimic a real GBA cartridge.
  • EXPANSION Mode
    Here, you can adjust rumble level and stuff. When you’re done it’ll soft reset back to to your slot 1
GBATA is a gba rom tool with the functions below.
1. Header Viewer
2. Intro Remover
3. Overdump Fixer
4. fix header
5. Intro Drawer
6. IPS Patcher
7. SRAM Patcher
8. Rom Trimmer
9. Reboot/Sleep mode
10. Clock fix for Pokemon sapphire & ruby.

Get it here: http://filetrip.net/file.php?id=223

I’ll like to thank PharaohVizier for his help.​

This tutorial was made possible thanks to realhotstuff.com​
Buy your EZ-Flash 3in1 here​

They have great prices, fast delivery and great (english speaking) customer service.​

05/30/2011- Added cycloDS in cycloDS iEvo spoiler

mechadylan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Awesome tut. Might be worth noting that you can use a DS Phat with the Phat version of the EZ-Flash 3in1 as well. In fact, I purchased mine from realhotstuff.com.
smile.gif

mudassirul

Trophies
XP
Country
might as well mention the 3in1+ nds backup tool, that can be used to dump roms and savs from retail carts and also load savs to retail carts, simpler to use then the wifi nds backup tool

hobblinharry

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nice guide! i have a ds lite and currently no flashcarts of any kimd. i want to get a 3in1 because of its versatility. what is the best slot1 card (that is also easy to order and not very expensice) to use with this device?

Reactions: Retro_Mod_Gamer

coopershels

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Good guide,

My two sons have these and one is working perfectly but one isn't. When I try one with an r4 card it says please apply appropriate dldi patch but when i switch the 3 in 1 expansion pack it works then. I guess what I'm asking is are there different versions of these packs that work differently. I have applied a patch to the exploader.nds file using didl right click patcher( not sure if i did it right but it said patched successful)

Thanks.

Retro_Mod_Gamer

Niche List Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The R4 DS is your best bet for a simple DS Lite. It's cheap and natively flashes the 3in1 without the need of expLoader! It's working great for me.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Good guide,

My two sons have these and one is working perfectly but one isn't. When I try one with an r4 card it says please apply appropriate dldi patch but when i switch the 3 in 1 expansion pack it works then. I guess what I'm asking is are there different versions of these packs that work differently. I have applied a patch to the exploader.nds file using didl right click patcher( not sure if i did it right but it said patched successful)

Thanks.
Is your firmware and WOOD updated?

foootrest

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm having some issues here. I'm using the R4i Gold with the 3-in-1. I can launch and play my games just fine, but I can't make/load saves correctly. I can see the *.gba.sav files, but in game it always starts me from the beginning and doesn't load the save. I'm not sure why..

EDIT: I'm not using exploader. This is just launching with wood 4.

Last edited by foootrest,

Mikemk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GBA ExpLoader does not show the expansion option. I have the third hardware revision with a green pcb.

My flashcart (DSTwo+ w/ bagplug) is automatically patching the DS browser to use the 3in1, but not rumble. I can confirm rumble works (automatically) if I use my r4i, but the dstwo is so much better.

mironicurse

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
GBA ExpLoader does not show the expansion option. I have the third hardware revision with a green pcb.

My flashcart (DSTwo+ w/ bagplug) is automatically patching the DS browser to use the 3in1, but not rumble. I can confirm rumble works (automatically) if I use my r4i, but the dstwo is so much better.
I have dstwo(regular) with 3in1 too, and in patches automaticly(in metroid), but i can't regulate rumble power though.

mhall12901

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This was a very helpful thread, but I recently replaced my micro SD card, and now I can't seem to load GBA games.
I'm using an R4 Revolution and EZ Flash V 3 in 1 on a DS Lite.
I've installed Wood v1.62, and my NDS roms work just fine. I've even been able to run lameboy for GB/GBC roms.
However, whenever I try to run a GBA rom, I tend to get a "game pak error" message, basically telling me that the save files are corrupt. For the few games that do run, I can't actually save the games. I feel like I'm missing something that I did the first time around... I used to be able to run GBA roms on this setup with no problems. Does anyone have any insight on this? I've even tried running the GBAExpLoader, but I get the same errors.

If it helps, this is how my card is laid out:
2v7wbh2.png

Last edited by mhall12901,

Kamil5

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Unfortunatelly link to download GBAExploader seems to be expired because after clicking the link I get "No input file specified." - can somebody help me with this?

Kamil5

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Thank you for help :)
On Firefox (probably because archive is in 7z) I couldn't download the file but on another browser I downloaded it succesfully.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: hmm