Cartoni

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Dear readers,

I bought an old Gameboy GBA SP and I am interested in replacing the battery, since it displays a red light almost immediately after I have fully charged it. Hence, a new battery seems to be the solution.
However, I do not know where or which replacement battery I should buy and would kindly ask if someone here knows which one to buy. Would be great if I could buy it in Europe, since thats where I currently am ;)

Really appreciate all the replies!

GreatCrippler

Greatness Fallen
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have done some testing, and the best results I have found is using a battery off of an original DS. a DSI battery can be used, but requires modding of the GBA case, and I didn't find it any better than the regular DS battery. You do have to break two small tabs on the DS battery, but will take 2 seconds.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
heres some similair recent threads to help the discussion
https://gbatemp.net/threads/850-1000-mah-battery-for-ags-101.482155/
https://gbatemp.net/threads/gba-sp-battery.483265/

i have a problem with my AGS 101, the power button seems to make bad contact, because if i turn it on in a specific way, it will show the light as green..
if i switch the button in a "bad way" it will show the red light even with the battery like at 70% and can play it for hours and hours..

i am linking and replying this, because i am keeping a reference for when i need a new battery as well

Last edited by migles,

Cartoni

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I have done some testing, and the best results I have found is using a battery off of an original DS. a DSI battery can be used, but requires modding of the GBA case, and I didn't find it any better than the regular DS battery. You do have to break two small tabs on the DS battery, but will take 2 seconds.

Tnx. I have searched eBay and bought some of those. Didn't know that they were so cheap? Got 2 plus a screwdriver from a reliable source from which some previous items.

i have a problem with my AGS 101, the power button seems to make bad contact, because if i turn it on in a specific way, it will show the light as green..
if i switch the button in a "bad way" it will show the red light even with the battery like at 70% and can play it for hours and hours..

i am linking and replying this, because i am keeping a reference for when i need a new battery as well

Ah, think I have the same problem with my AGS 101, since I used it this morning for more than a couple hours and still got a green light, but just to be sure and get over long airplane flights (thats why I bought it in the first place) I bought extra batteries which should take longer since they have more volume.

Torci2008

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
I also had this problem. I decided that this was due to poor contact in the switch. Disassembled, sprinkled WD-40 and the problem was gone =)

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
since I used it this morning for more than a couple hours
yeah, try to use it and check if the red light shows up for more than 2 hours.. the red light should appear when IIRC you got like 30-1 hour left, it's a ridicule high ammount of time either way and sometimes i go dare devil and continue playing for a while risking the battery dying in the middle of a save xD

when i got my gba i was scared that my battery was dead, but it was weird how sometimes i would restart it and the battery showed the green light and the thing still lasted the 8+ hours normally, so the battery is ok, i noticed depends in the angle i turn the thing on.. i kinda learned how "to make it green" but i should just clean this shit, however i am scared to disassemble it and strip a screw or something

I also had this problem. I decided that this was due to poor contact in the switch. Disassembled, sprinkled WD-40 and the problem was gone =)
thanks for the tip, is wd 40 conductive? isn't bad for the metal contacts (leaving residue in it)? i might try with a proper contact cleaner..

Torci2008

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
thanks for the tip, is wd 40 conductive?
yes, wd40 perfectly cleans and does not violate the conductivity of the current. I'm too lazy to disassemble and clean the switch. I just get to the button and right on it I spray wd40 and all work then =)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I bought one of the batteries by reference. He turned out to be non-working = (The seller returned the money.

JCR1

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I wonder if we can use a battery from another device, even if solder and wires are need.

Last edited by JCR1,

Torci2008

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
I wonder if we can use a battery from another device, even if solder and wires are need.
Only if there is understanding in electronics. I thought that I have the knowledge, and put in my jbl clip the battery from Nokia. There's something burned, now the music works bad =) I do not want to change batteries anymore =)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: