Tutorial  Updated

Block Wii U System Updates (Without DNS Blocking!)

This method has been circulating around since yesterday. Presumably, it was discovered on a Chinese forum.

Using this method allows you to stay connected without DNS blocking, and therefore have complete access to Nintendo services.

There are some concerns floating around about this process. So here is a complete guide detailing the process.

Disclaimer:
The following guide tampers with your NAND. Use this with caution or there is a good chance you'll MESS UP your Wii U for good, or even BRICK!

Requirements:

• A Wii U & SD: Firmware and SD size doesn't matter as long as you satisfy the other conditions
  • Mocha Or Haxchi
  • HBL on SD card
  • ftpiiu_everywhere (Haxchi) on SD card
  • Access to HBL: Browserhax, Haxchi/CBHC, or any other form of entry point, are all fine. As long as you access it.
  • A PC with FTP Client: Technically it doesn't have to be a PC. It can even be done on your phone with an FTP Client. I'm using the PC for the simplicity of it. FileZilla IS RECOMMENDED.
  • Optional: Use Nand Dumper to back up your nand with all it's contents, as well as dumping the OTP and SEEPRPOM. By having those, you can unbrick your system with a hardmod at any point. Dumping MLC will require a 64GB SD card if your Wii U is 32GB, or 16GB SD card if your Wii U is 8GB.

1A) Using Haxchi/CBHC:
  1. System Menu: Have Haxchi reboot to System menu.
  2. System Menu: Launch HBL via Haxchi or browser.
  3. HBL: Launch ftpiiu_everywhere.
  4. Proceed to section "2)" of the guide to block updates. Proceed to section "3)" if you want to unblock them again.
1B) Using Mocha:
  1. System Menu: Launch HBL via browser.
  2. HBL: Start Mocha (Using default values are fine)
  3. System Menu: Launch HBL via browser again.
  4. HBL: Launch ftpiiu_everywhere.
  5. Proceed to section "2)" of the guide to block updates. Proceed to section "3)" if you want to unblock them again.
2) Modifying your Nand, and blocking updates:
  1. PC: Use an FTP client to connect to your Wii U using the IP address and port on your Wii U screen.
  2. PC: Once connected, Navigate to: "storage_mlc/sys/"
  3. PC: Locate "update" folder, right-click it and Pick "File Permissions". Make sure it's the same as the screenshot below. If it's not the same, then make note of that. You will need it if you want to enable updates later. If it's the Same, then proceed to the next Step.
    384072-FTPiiU.PNG
  4. PC: Delete “update” folder.
  5. Wii U: Press "Home" button to get back to HBL, press it again to get back to Mii Maker.
  6. Wii U: Exit Mii Maker, and click on system settings.
  7. System Settings: Attempt to update your Wii U as Normal. A few seconds after it starts and the progress bar appears, it should give out this error code: 105-3012. If the progress bar actually continues to move, TURN OFF THE WII U IMMEDIATELY!! Recheck your steps, cause something went wrong.
3) Unblocking updates:

If for whatever reason, you would like to return the Wii U to it's original updating state, start by following "1A)" or "1B)" of the guide, then proceed to the next step of this section:
  1. PC: Use an FTP client to connect to your Wii U using the IP address and port on your Wii U screen.
  2. PC: Once connected, Navigate to: "storage_mlc/sys/"
  3. PC: Right-click, and select "Create Directory". Create “update” folder. Once created, right-click again, and select "File Permissions".
  4. PC: When you originally did section "2)", if your permissions were the same as the screenshot in that section, enter those same permissions here. If not, then you should have noted them down somewhere. Enter those values instead, then click ok.
  5. Wii U: Press "Home" button to get back to HBL, press it again to get back to Mii Maker.
  6. Wii U: Exit Mii Maker, and click on system settings.
  7. System Settings: Attempt to update your Wii U as Normal. It should proceed to update normally.
Credits:
@fejich for being the first to notify us about a Chinese website doing this method in this thread
@Shaoxudong for translating the process, and testing it.

Last edited by Madridi,

Madridi

Card Collector
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
thanks for answer

i dont trying for this method (with or without) mocha because I'm afraid of the brick

this method has will work on 5.5.2 firmware ?
You only risk a brick if you don't follow the instructions exactly as written.
And yes, it works on any fw that has access to mocha or haxchi

Reactions: mostafa

mostafa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iran
You only risk a brick if you don't follow the instructions exactly as written.
And yes, it works on any fw that has access to mocha or haxchi

An important question

I have not used the haxchi so far

is not Haxchi a way for running HBL ?

So what's the difference through running HBL by "haxchi" & running HBL by "webhax(Loadiine.ovh)" ?

why this method will work by haxchi but not will work by webhax ?

i did this method completly for blocking auto update

my FW console is 5.5.2

when i go to setting and push "System Update" button below message apears

"your console is up to date"

How to understand i have done the block wiiU update ?

very thanks

Last edited by mostafa,

Madridi

Card Collector
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
An important question

I have not used the haxchi so far

is not Haxchi a way for running HBL ?

So what's the difference through running HBL by "haxchi" & running HBL by "webhax(Loadiine.ovh)" ?

why this method will work by haxchi but not will work by webhax ?

i did this method completly for blocking auto update

my FW console is 5.5.2

when i go to setting and push "System Update" button below message apears

"your console is up to date"

How to understand i have done the block wiiU update ?

very thanks
The difference is that haxchi has its built in cfw.. but if you use webhax, you have to use mocha. That's why there are 2 methods for this.

If you did this method, there is no way to actually check it since you are on the latest update. However there is one thing you can do to verify that it went ok:
Follow the same steps in the tutorial, up until you get to the directory where "updates" folder should be. If it's not there then it worked :)

Reactions: mostafa

TJF588

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If a dummy folder were created in the directory the update folder is in, and then the update folder moved into that dummy folder, would this work to stop updates and would the update folder maintain its permissions?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If a dummy folder were created in the directory the update folder is in, and then the update folder moved into that dummy folder, would this work to stop updates and would the update folder maintain its permissions?

probably, but it's pretty pointless. the best thing to do is just to delete the update folder. u can remake it, then add permissions afterwards within seconds.

Reactions: Madridi

Madridi

Card Collector
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
Since it can't be renamed, chances are it can't be moved. I really haven't tried though but if it works then I guess sure.

But yeah it's pretty pointless. Moving it then moving back at whatever point is similar to deleting and recreating it

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah, I just remembered it couldn't be renamed. you'd most likely have to delete the folder, then remake it in the dummy folder which would defeat the purpose.

hatredg0d

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's worth mentioning that:
- DNS always has the chance of it being down at any point of time, even possibly years from now, leaving you completely vulnerable to imminent update (assuming Nintendo services still work for the Wii U by then lol)

- Without blocking DNS, you get all Nintendo services back!
Not with my at home adblocker called PiHole.

Incure

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
My Wii U is still working after using this method on 5.5.2, the menu settings showed version 99.99.99 directly afterwards. After a reboot it now shows 5.5.2 (E) again and I still can access the e-shop. So just a another confirmation that this method is fine on the latest firmware.

Edit: The 99.99.99 is apparently done by Haxchi 2.5.2, nothing to do with deleting de update folder...

Last edited by Incure,

Madridi

Card Collector
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
UNCONFIRMED UPDATE:

The update folder IS RECREATED when you try to sync the gamepad. I haven't tried extensively, but I thought I would mention it and maybe someone with more time can test this.

tpformbh

Trophies
XP
Country
Followed the original Chinese guide then found this thread. Therefore didn't note the original CHMOD on the folder before deleting. Luckily 755 worked.

I was on 5.5.1 but as detailed in this thread, lots of games were requesting title updates. I bought a VC title earlier so after installing Haxchi made the decision to go up to 5.5.2 and I'll then remove the update folder again.

Thanks

Madridi

Card Collector
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
Followed the original Chinese guide then found this thread. Therefore didn't note the original CHMOD on the folder before deleting. Luckily 755 worked.

I was on 5.5.1 but as detailed in this thread, lots of games were requesting title updates. I bought a VC title earlier so after installing Haxchi made the decision to go up to 5.5.2 and I'll then remove the update folder again.

Thanks
You could've used NNU patcher to update your titles (and access online as a whole), but sure that works too.

Happy to help :)

satel

Luigi's Big Brother
Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
UNCONFIRMED UPDATE:

The update folder IS RECREATED when you try to sync the gamepad. I haven't tried extensively, but I thought I would mention it and maybe someone with more time can test this.

i formatted the console & therefor had to re-sync the gamepad after format was complete & the UPDATE folder was NOT Recreated !! maybe Re-syncing after formatting is different to Re-syncing without formatting !!!!!!!!

anyway adding these DNS does block system update & access to e-shop
DNS Addresses:
Primary | 081.004.127.020
Secondary | 168.235.92.108

spectral

Trophies
XP
Country
Looking for a little help. I followed this guide and successfully deleted the update folder. However when I go into settings and check for updates it still successfully checks There is no error message.. I FTP'd back into the folder again and the update folder has definitely been deleted

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1