Blocking Ads on Android

Prior22

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have an Android based Shield TV and am curious about ad blocking. The NBC news app, prior to playing a video, plays 15 to 30 second commercials. I'm curious if there is an app I can download which can block these commercials from playing? Thanks.

MrCatFace

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I don't suppose I can download a program where I dont have to root first? Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe rooting wipes your Hard Drive clean. Would rather avoid that process.

Rooting does NOT wipe your hard drive. I personally have rooted, and it shouldn't wipe your hard drive. I haven't looked into any ad blockers yet.

mikey420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rooting might wipe the device depending on the method but typically speaking it's easy enough to backup before you root so you can restore everything after that. And typically speaking ad blocking on droid works by manipulating the host files. To do so one requires root. You might be able to find a browser with an ad blocker but I doubt it'll be able to block anything in app without the host mods.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Apparently there are DNS/VPN apps that will block adds too

MrCatFace

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Rooting might wipe the device depending on the method but typically speaking it's easy enough to backup before you root so you can restore everything after that. And typically speaking ad blocking on droid works by manipulating the host files. To do so one requires root. You might be able to find a browser with an ad blocker but I doubt it'll be able to block anything in app without the host mods.

Brave is more accessible for everyone if you want to block adds just in the browser. You need root to block ads inside apps @Prior22

Last edited by MrCatFace,

Prior22

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use adaway, works for almost every ad but it requires root. There are some adblockers that rely on VPN to block ads so it doesn't need root but i never used that.

I have NordVPN, so does anyone have good VPN based ad blocking programs which don't require rooting?

Reactions: boomario

mikey420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would very much recommend against using a random VPN or DNS server for all your internet traffic on that device. Especially if making purchases. Just backup the internal drive before you root and restore it when done. It's just safer and doesn't rely on some unknown server run by an unknown person having all your traffic filtered through said server.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On samsung browser we can chose which one ad blocker we wanna use.
You can choose up to three, which is what I'm doing

That wouldn't help him with other apps, though

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

If I root my Shield TV will firmware updates still be available to download? I vaguely recall reading that rooted device can't download firmware updates.
That depends entirely on the manufacturer. I have no idea how Nvidia responds to rooting

DayVeeBoi

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Another good option (with root) is lucky patcher. It allows unified host lists and resizing of the blank ads so u can remove the big space on problematic apps with super invasive ads and no pro option (which is a serious bother to me, at leats give me the option to buy it and get rid of them FFS)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    S @ salazarcosplay: @Xdqwerty how are you?