Bluetooth Question

Prior22

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is probably a silly question but is it possible for bluetooth 4.0 earbuds to work with an mp3 player with bluetooth 2.1? I'm assuming the answer is no but I was hoping it's possible for an mp3 player to work with earbuds of a higher bluetooth version. Thanks.

Prior22

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bluetooth 4.0 is backwards compatible with other versions it should be possible.

Really? So I could pair a brand new pair of bluetooth earbuds with 4.0 firmware with an old mp3 player with bluetooth 2.1? Is there any disadvantage to the mp3 player not having a newer version of bluetooth?

BlackWizzard17

Don't worry Captin we'll buff out those scratches.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Really? So I could pair a brand new pair of bluetooth earbuds with 4.0 firmware with an old mp3 player with bluetooth 2.1? Is there any disadvantage to the mp3 player not having a newer version of bluetooth?
That I can't answer since I don't know. There might be connectivity issues and distance limitations but that could be because the mp3 players might be faulty after a long time (I assume it's old because it rocks bt 2.1)

Reactions: Prior22

Prior22

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That I can't answer since I don't know. There might be connectivity issues and distance limitations but that could be because the mp3 players might be faulty after a long time (I assume it's old because it rocks bt 2.1)

It shouldn't make a difference at all. Refer to this website

https://superuser.com/questions/588186/is-bluetooth-4-0-backwards-compatible-with-bluetooth-2-0edr

Features will just be missing.

The mp3 player is an ipod touch produced around 2009. Would prefer not to spend the extra 20+ dollars to get a newer Touch with bluetooth 4.0. As for features I would only use the bluetooth to workout. Based on the chart posted of different bluetooth versions am I correct in assuming I wouldn't be missing out on a needed feature for wireless music listening?

Xanthe

Costco Executive Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The mp3 player is an ipod touch produced around 2009. Would prefer not to spend the extra 20+ dollars to get a newer Touch with bluetooth 4.0. As for features I would only use the bluetooth to workout. Based on the chart posted of different bluetooth versions am I correct in assuming I wouldn't be missing out on a needed feature for wireless music listening?
Correct

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
It's like usb versions in a sense with usb 1.0, 2.0, and 3.0
Close, but not exactly. Because of the difference in voltage, a LOT of devices using 3.0 won't work at all on 1.0 and external hard drives or similar hardware will work faulty (eg: asking you to format it because it shows up as corrupted when it's not). For Bluetooth though, the only thing that changes is that you are stuck with whatever features and capabilities the weaker of the two devices offers, with no other drawbacks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Those IHOP chips are actually pretty damn good
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They're made with left over pancake/wafle batter, that's been sitting out all day.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    3 hours on a riding lawn mower, my butt is numb and my whole body is still vibrating. Gonna be a long summer. :cry: I just need to buy some goats.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, Did you leave your buttplug in?
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I feel like I spent the night with Ancientboi
    +3
  • Flame @ Flame:
    Ancientboi at it again.
    +2
  • Flame @ Flame:
    is it a bird is it a plane... no its Ancientboi banging your ass away !
    +3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Took along time to fit it in?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Snow days $25 on steam may grab it
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Measuring sizes with AncientBoi, I see.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I guess Ancientboi would be Peter
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Loooooool :rofl2:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    So true
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 Snow Day is pretty fun. My only bitch would be the camera controls, when you move around, say down, you have to move the right stick left or right to get camera to turn and get your view, other than that I like it so far.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    From what people say pvp isn't even worth it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just been playing offline, and they give you a few bots here n there on your team to help battle. I don't think it's as funny as the other games tho, more battle oriented than humor, which kinda sucks, but I'm still early in it
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, doesnt the game have a campaign mode?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, and co-op, but you can also start a pvp session and battle just with friends. You get special skill cards (powers) the more you play. And higher value cards, but you can only enable so many cards at a time.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If you can find enough for it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Toilet paper is considered the money, you collect and buy stuff with TP, kinda funny. Graphics are def better than the other games tho, I think they used Unity 5 engine.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Toilet paper is considered the money, you collect and buy stuff with TP, kinda funny. Graphics...