Netherlands

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
Prof. 9 - thanks for the work and the updates! is there any possibility (or a reason why it would not be good?) that you can make boktai 1 have the same button combination as 2 and 3? (2 and 3 both use select and left/right, in the first game does select have a special purpose?) if not, why not use the same combination for all three?

Prof. 9

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Prof. 9 - thanks for the work and the updates! is there any possibility (or a reason why it would not be good?) that you can make boktai 1 have the same button combination as 2 and 3? (2 and 3 both use select and left/right, in the first game does select have a special purpose?) if not, why not use the same combination for all three?

Yes, Select opens the inventory screen in Boktai 1, whereas in 2 and 3 it just pauses the game as long as you hold it and lets you hotswap your equipped weapon/magic. If you want to use a different button combination you can change it in the source code and apply the modified .asm using ARMIPS.

Reactions: cearp

Prof. 9

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Another update: the patches play nice with stuff like Rising Sun grenades, Mr. Rainnot and such now. Also, I changed the button activator for Boktai 1 to R + A. These will hopefully be the final versions, as they should work in every possible situation.

Grab it here: http://filetrip.net/gba-downloads/t...ktai-solar-sensor-patch-kit-2-2-0-f33081.html

Changelog:
  • Patches now work properly with effects that modify the solar gauge such as Rising Sun, Sol Trance, Sunny Clogs and Mr. Rainnot.
  • Changed the button combination for Boktai 1 to R + A.

Jiro2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This says:

Boktai 2 (U)
CRC: E1FFB2D1
NOTE: No clean dump of Boktai 2 (U) exists on the net. Use the cleaner patch.
Is that checksum the checksum of the one on the net or is it the checksum of the already cleaned one? I have a No-Intro ROM of Boktai 2 and it already has that checksum.

Prof. 9

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
The checksums in cleanroms.txt are the checksums of the clean ROMs as they would be if you dumped them from the cartridge yourself. If your ROM already has that checksum, there is no need to apply a cleaner patch, and if you do anyway, the checksum shouldn't change.

Basically if your ROM has the checksum listed in cleanroms.txt you can apply the "Patch" patch and you're good to go. If the checksum is wrong then you should apply the "Clean" patch first.

Also, that was written 3 years ago, so perhaps the situation for Boktai 2 (U) has changed now. When I wrote that I could not find any unpatched Boktai 2 (U) scene releases.

EDIT: Also, I put the project on GitHub for those of you who like that. It also provides a mirror for the download in case FileTrip is down; you can find it on the Releases tab. https://github.com/Prof9/boktai-solar-sensor-patches

Zamzummin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have a question about Boktai 1's real-time clock functionality. I applied your patch and am playing with an EZ Flash 3-in-1 on my DS lite. Everything seems to work fine, except the in-game clock which resets to 0:00 every time I load my save. Since you didn't patch the rtc functionality (i.e. unlike the Eurasia release which allows 60x rtc speedup with L+R+Up) am I basically stuck playing at midnight for the whole game? (Note that the EZ Flash 3-in-1 doesn't have rtc emulation.)

Will this break any in-game features or make certain parts of the game inaccessible? Or is the only side-effect that outside environments will always be at night? By the way, the clock does move forward while playing but since I only play for an hour or so at a time I only get to around 1:00 AM at the latest. I suppose I could leave the game running for 9 hours while I sleep but that seems a bit excessive just to play during in-game daytime hours.

How about Boktai 2? Boktai 3? Thanks in advance for any info.

Prof. 9

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
The EZ-Flash 3-in-1 does not have RT functionality, so yes. I believe you can change the time in the options in Boktai 1, or by talking to an NPC in Boktai 2 and 3. If you play at night the game is way easier since you get the benefits of both Solar Bugs and being able to recharge your energy, plus some enemies that walk outside just instantly die, so I'd recommend setting the time to daytime.

You don't miss out on anything major. For Boktai 1 I believe your Solar Fruits take real time to grow (not sure on that), but you can play the game perfectly fine without them. In all 3 games you can also get healed or obtain an item by standing under the Solar Tree at the fall of dawn, but you can just change the time for that. Off the top of my head I can't think of any other stuff that requires you to be at a certain time.

Reactions: cearp

Zamzummin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The EZ-Flash 3-in-1 does not have RT functionality, so yes. I believe you can change the time in the options in Boktai 1, or by talking to an NPC in Boktai 2 and 3. If you play at night the game is way easier since you get the benefits of both Solar Bugs and being able to recharge your energy, plus some enemies that walk outside just instantly die, so I'd recommend setting the time to daytime.

You don't miss out on anything major. For Boktai 1 I believe your Solar Fruits take real time to grow (not sure on that), but you can play the game perfectly fine without them. In all 3 games you can also get healed or obtain an item by standing under the Solar Tree at the fall of dawn, but you can just change the time for that. Off the top of my head I can't think of any other stuff that requires you to be at a certain time.
Ah, I didn't realize that I could change the time in the Options menu. Since it resets to 0:00 every time I start the game, I'll just set the correct time before playing so it's no problem at all.

Thanks for your help!

Star-scream

Trophies
XP
Country
Hey so far this has been working very well on my psp really enjoying the fist Boktai the sun is in your hand.

Another update: the patches play nice with stuff like Rising Sun grenades, Mr. Rainnot and such now. Also, I changed the button activator for Boktai 1 to R + A. These will hopefully be the final versions, as they should work in every possible situation.

Grab it here: http://filetrip.net/gba-downloads/t...ktai-solar-sensor-patch-kit-2-2-0-f33081.html

Changelog:
  • Patches now work properly with effects that modify the solar gauge such as Rising Sun, Sol Trance, Sunny Clogs and Mr. Rainnot.
  • Changed the button combination for Boktai 1 to R + A.

Prof. 9

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Because Select opens the main menu in that game. It's a bit more inconvenient than in Boktai 2 and 3, where the Select button also pauses the game, but doesn't open the menu, so you can still see the sun gauge as it updates. IIRC not every menu screen in Boktai 1 has the sun gauge on it.

The '101h' on line 14 in the Boktai 1 source file dictates which buttons should be held down for the Left/Right buttons to work. Changing that to 4h should make it use Select instead.

Gamer1125

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Thanks for sharin this, but i cnnt use it. (I used vba to play boktai.) Boktai 1 after rename ips n put with rom, i open game n all black screen. Boktai 2 can play but solar power didnt increase at all. I need help n hope u can reply me what is my problem. Thanks, Prof. 9.:)

Stremon

Trophies
Website
jbbongrand.blogspot.fr
XP
Country
France
@Prof. 9 thank you very much for those awesome patches :D
It seems to work well on emulators, however, for some reasons it doesn't work at all on my EZ Flash IV... It gives me a white screen and doesn't boot at all.
It does the same for Boktai 1 & 2.
Do you have any idea how I can fix that?

Edit: Of course, I checked the CRC32 to get a clean rom. I am using European version for both games.

Edit: Nevermind, got my answer from the EZFlash posts, just had to hold L while launching the games :P

Last edited by Stremon,

dayjay

Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the patch. Had a sudden urge to try out Boktai 3 and I'm glad find a good sun sensor patch that's relatively new. Shame that the eng Boktai 3 patch remains unfinished.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I guess Ancientboi would be Peter
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Loooooool :rofl2:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    So true
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 Snow Day is pretty fun. My only bitch would be the camera controls, when you move around, say down, you have to move the right stick left or right to get camera to turn and get your view, other than that I like it so far.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    From what people say pvp isn't even worth it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just been playing offline, and they give you a few bots here n there on your team to help battle. I don't think it's as funny as the other games tho, more battle oriented than humor, which kinda sucks, but I'm still early in it
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, doesnt the game have a campaign mode?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, and co-op, but you can also start a pvp session and battle just with friends. You get special skill cards (powers) the more you play. And higher value cards, but you can only enable so many cards at a time.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If you can find enough for it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Toilet paper is considered the money, you collect and buy stuff with TP, kinda funny. Graphics are def better than the other games tho, I think they used Unity 5 engine.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Look if I zoom in enough I can see the herpes!!!
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In fact I'm gonna go make a drink, roll a fatty n play some, good night to all!
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I bet most people at the time still watched it in black and white
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Many of them did before colour television was common.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Likely because black and white TV was in-expensive.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It certainly wasn't inexpensive it cost the same as a new car back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How much did a 1965 color TV cost?

For example, a 21-inch (diagonal) GE color television in 1965 had an advertised price of $499, which is equal to $4,724 in today's dollars, according to the federal government's inflation calculator.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, take into consideration how economy was back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah that's why they listed inflation rates
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sorry didnt read that part
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK don't worry i knew he was joking
    +1
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @LeoTCK don't worry i knew he was joking +1