• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Breaking News: Eggs from Netherlands Contaminated Being Sold in UK

• Thread starter Saiyan Lusitano
  • Start date
  • Views 1,388
  • Replies 19
  • Likes 4
S

Saiyan Lusitano

OP
Bad time for a pun but that's basically the headline. :P

tl;dr If you live in UK then you may want to consider not eating eggs because over 700,000 them are contaminated with a chemical.

a-bowl-full-of-brown-eggs.jpg

News story:

Around 700,000 eggs implicated in a contamination scare have been distributed to Britain and may have already been eaten by consumers, it has emerged.

The Food Standards Agency previously said a total of 21,000 eggs contaminated with a chemical called fipronil had come from the Netherlands to the UK, but today substantially revised its estimate.

In large quantities, fipronil, is considered to be "moderately hazardous" according to the World Health Organisation, and can have dangerous affects on people's kidneys, liver and thyroid glands.

Affected products have been sold by major stores including Asda, Morrisons and Sainsbury's and are now being recalled.

Fresh eggs are largely unaffected, with contaminated eggs instead present in processed foods in which they are one ingredient among many others, mostly used in sandwich fillings or other chilled foods.

Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...eal-number-contaminated-eggs-700000-fsa-says/

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Fresh eggs are largely unaffected, with contaminated eggs instead present in processed foods in which they are one ingredient among many others, mostly used in sandwich fillings or other chilled foods.

In other words stay away from mayo and you're all set.

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Reactions: StarTrekVoyager

Abu_Senpai

Trophies
XP
Country
Syria
In other words stay away from mayo and you're all set.

But i love mayonnaise:cry:....................... oh and is this article saying contaminated eggs have already been sold and have been circulation for the past few days/weeks or is it saying that there are contaminated eggs in the uk right now which just began circulating?

Regardless aside from the whole mayonnaise thing i haven't had any type of eggs for a few months now and just when i begun craving them this happens. Oh well i can wait a few months more or just buy british eggs.

Last edited by Abu_Senpai,

AmandaRose

Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
*shrugs*
What does contaminated eggs have to do with a gaming forum?
Nothing but if you haven't already noticed the OP posts off-topic threads in the General Off-Topic forum all the time.

Last edited by Veho, , Reason: Be nice.
Reactions: Deleted User

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
what's wrong with a little fipronil now and again?
kids these days...:sleep:

a broad-spectrum insecticide isn't going to do any harm to me, i'm not an insect!

(joking, i have noticed there will always be someone who will take me seriously)

Last edited by cearp,

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
What quantities are we talking here? If it's somewhat dangerous only in large quantities and there's only a very small amount in the eggs, it doesn't really matter unless you live off an exclusively egg-based diet, in which case you have other health concerns than just chemicals.

Edit: Oh, and according to the article, food containing these eggs is already past expiry date and can't/shouldn't be sold any more, so there's no point in trying to stay away from egg-based products right now.

Last edited by Arras,

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Seems most people are missing this from the source Saiyan quoted...
"Fresh eggs are largely unaffected, with contaminated eggs instead present in processed foods in which they are one ingredient among many others, mostly used in sandwich fillings or other chilled foods."
I've bought fresh eggs from Sainsbury's within the last few weeks, and my fried egg and HP sauce sandwiches were fine B-)

Reactions: hobbledehoy899

AmandaRose

Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Seems most people are missing this from the source Saiyan quoted...
"Fresh eggs are largely unaffected, with contaminated eggs instead present in processed foods in which they are one ingredient among many others, mostly used in sandwich fillings or other chilled foods."
I've bought fresh eggs from Sainsbury's within the last few weeks, and my fried egg and HP sauce sandwiches were fine B-)
Did you seriously just say you put HP sauce on a fried egg??? Why why why would you destroy a lovely fried egg with the worst tasting sauce in the world you should be put in prison for such a terrible crime lol. HP Sauce is disgusting I would rather be stabbed repeatedly in the balls than eat that foul sauce ☺️

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Did you seriously just say you put HP sauce on a fried egg??? Why why why would you destroy a lovely fried egg with the worst tasting sauce in the world you should be put in prison for such a terrible crime lol. HP Sauce is disgusting I would rather be stabbed repeatedly in the balls than eat that foul sauce ☺️
Fair enough if you don't like the best of the 'brown' sauces, I won't try to convince you otherwise... but imo, it's really the only sauce that 'works' with fried eggs.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
that was to be expected. its easy to check unprocessed eggs, but the processed ones can be in pretty much everything and its hard to actually track that as the eggs could have been sold all across europe, processed into eggwhites and jolk and sold seperately to manufacturers that way.
outside of tests for the chemical, it'd be impossible to track everything

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Fair enough if you don't like the best of the 'brown' sauces, I won't try to convince you otherwise... but imo, it's really the only sauce that 'works' with fried eggs.
Never tasted HP sauce :P Anyways, yeah, the "egggate" is already old. Except if you like buying rotten food of course.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: idk, i don't have one