• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Breaking News NewZeland EarthQuake.

Elvarg

Zyzz™
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
New Zealand's prime minister says at least 65 people are dead in an earthquake that struck the city of Christchurch, collapsing numerous buildings as people worked inside.

Prime Minister John Key said the 6.3-magnitude quake, which struck around lunchtime Tuesday, is "an absolute tragedy" for the city and its people.

Police reported fatalities in several parts of the city and numerous injuries. They say two buses were crushed by falling buildings.

Many buildings in the city center collapsed, and Christchurch cathedral was heavily damaged. Power and telephone lines are cut in some places. Some roads caved in and at least one bridge has been damaged.

Thousands of people have fled buildings and gathered in the streets of Christchurch as the city is now being hit by a series of aftershocks.

Flights in and out of Christchurch were temporarily cancelled.

The U.S. Geological Survey said the quake was centered about 5 kilometers from the city at a depth of 4 kilometers.

Christchurch, one of New Zealand's largest cities, was hit by a 7.1- magnitude earthquake last September and a series of aftershock has rattled the city ever since.
Mayor Bob Parker told Radio New Zealand that Tuesday's temblor felt like a whole new earthquake had struck, and not an aftershock.

The mayor advised people not to drive.
New Zealand's geological service says the earthquake has caused more damage than the stronger one in September because of its relatively shallow depth.[/p]

[youtube]Gp0KGExeMjw[/youtube]

sorry if i have posted this in the wrong section.

My Condolences go to their families.

jonesman99

GBAtemp's Official ArchAndroid
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well geez...
mellow.gif

That just took out about 35% of their population didn't it?

But no, my heart goes out to everyone affected over there.

But, really, I wonder what is gonna happen to production of Power Rangers Samurai now?

I'm sorry... that sounded a little selfish. I want to know if we have any Temp-ers that are from NZ?

TBH, I didnt think that they got earthquakes.

nryn99

desu~
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
whoa. i hope people there who survived are okay. and buildings collapsed? i wanna see one of those. but not collapsing on me.

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess it's better that the earthquake took place in New Zealand, rather than in the ocean causing a tsunami which would suck way way more.

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
I hope that's not why Sian isn't answering her phone right now. She's already moved about as far away from me as she can get. If she moves on to another plane of reality I may well have to face up to the possibility that she might not be dating material.

Seriously though, I'm gonna go call her again just to be sure...I'm all worried now.

Cloak519

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Blaze163 said:
I hope that's not why Sian isn't answering her phone right now. She's already moved about as far away from me as she can get. If she moves on to another plane of reality I may well have to face up to the possibility that she might not be dating material.

Seriously though, I'm gonna go call her again just to be sure...I'm all worried now.
Good luck to you both.
This shit's awful.

Talaria

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
New Zealand
jonesman99 said:

I'm sorry... that sounded a little selfish. I want to know if we have any Temp-ers that are from NZ?

Yes there are, I was in Christchurch when the earthquake struck. Was in the 3rd floor of the University Library when it struck, never knew books could fly.

And yes we do get earthquakes, the same city got a 7.1 Earthquake about 5 months ago, no lives were lost though.

Elvarg

Zyzz™
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Talaria said:
jonesman99 said:

Yes there are, I was in Christchurch when the earthquake struck. Was in the 3rd floor of the University Library when it struck, never knew books could fly.

And yes we do get earthquakes, the same city got a 7.1 Earthquake about 5 months ago, no lives were lost though.

was the university damaged servilely?

gifi4

How am I a 'New Member'?
Trophies
XP
Country
The news is saying that this was actually an aftershock of the earthquake they had last September, which reached 7.1 on the richter scale. This aftershock did more damage than the 7.1 earthquake due to it being not as deep.

Shockwind

SHINEEE!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Hey, that's reported to our country and I know that an earthquake has occured at New Zealand.
ohmy.gif
I will pray for those who lost their lives.
cry.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: idk, i don't have one