• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

BREXIT [Poll] vote!

Should the UK leave the EU?

• Yes

Votes: 129 37.5%
  • No

Votes: 215 62.5%

• Total voters

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure you just made an argument for combating and reducing [illegal] immigration, and/or open borders. Unless, of course, you're fine with large companies exploiting workers? You do realise that not all people have a wealth of education and/or experience, the jobs that don't require either still need to be done, and that the people doing these jobs deserve to be given a fair wage, right?

Not all (or arguably even most, depending on where you live) young people are leftists, and not all older people are centre-right/right-wing. How much of a bubble do you have to live in in order to believe this?
Of course people deserve a fair wage for the work they do. Even with strict immigration policies, and laws against employing illegals, corporations will still outsource labor to countries that can do the job cheaper, particularly china. Immigration and job loss are not related issues. That was my arguement.

Reactions: Saiyan Lusitano

Xiphiidae

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Even with strict immigration policies, and laws against employing illegals, corporations will still outsource labor to countries that can do the job cheaper, particularly china. Immigration and job loss are not related issues. That was my arguement.
Of course many corporations have and will outsource labour to China, but the fact remains that there are many companies who profit off paying illegal immigrants very low wages. If these illegal immigrants did not have access to these jobs (i.e. by better denying or preventing their entrance into the country to begin with), then these jobs could be given to citizens, residents or working migrants with fair wages, as the companies would be unable to underpay these people.

Reactions: Saiyan Lusitano
S

Saiyan Lusitano

Now that it's the 4th of july!

Britain had better waited till today to vote!
Then they could celebrate the same day, the same independendce day as the Americans (wouldn't that be ironic :P )
- 4th of july, the day the American independence declaration was adopted!
- 4th of july, the day the English broke free from the EU :)

Anyway, Happy 4th of July to all Americans ;)
"Funny"

America is made of immigrants.
Yep. People are what makes a country work and move forward whether they were born there or immigrants but what about illegal immigrants and criminals, as well as freeloaders? This is why control needs to be applied so there's less probability of something harmful happening.

Btw, homeless folks are an issue that the govt doesn't seem to care about and passers-by tend to ignore because you don't really know if they're pretending to be homeless or they actually are. Never mind taking them to your own house as that would be a huge risk 'cause you'd know nothing about the person.

WeedZ

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Of course many corporations have and will outsource labour to China, but the fact remains that there are many companies who profit off paying illegal immigrants very low wages. If these illegal immigrants did not have access to these jobs (i.e. by better denying or preventing their entrance into the country to begin with), then these jobs could be given to citizens, residents or working migrants with fair wages, as the companies would be unable to underpay these people.
They wouldn't have access to those jobs if they enforced labor laws better. I also believe in worker's unions, something our government has been trying to outlaw, when it comes to ensuring fair wages.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I think immigration policy is something to stir patriotism/racism and distract people from more important issues.

Xiphiidae

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
They wouldn't have access to those jobs if they enforced labor laws better. I also believe in worker's unions, something our government has been trying to outlaw, when it comes to ensuring fair wages.
I see combating illegal immigration and enforcing labour laws as being two sides of the same coin.

I think immigration policy is something to stir patriotism/racism and distract people from more important issues.
You're welcome to think that, but many many many people disagree and see immigration as a set of very important issues in themselves. Patriotism and criticism of open borders aren't racist, and neither is inherently bad.

Reactions: vayanui8 and WeedZ

WeedZ

Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I see combating illegal immigration and enforcing labour laws as being two sides of the same coin.

You're welcome to think that, but many many many people disagree and see immigration as a set of very important issues in themselves. Patriotism and criticism of open borders aren't racist, and neither is inherently bad.
Sorry, I didn't mean to compare patriotism and racism. I was simply saying that topics of immigration can fuel one or both of these things. Of course, which ones depends on the individual. Racism is rampant here when we debate immigration.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

But I do see patriotism as a bad thing. It promotes segregation. Should I feel proud that I just so happen to have been born in the us? Is the us the best country in the world? Of course not. There are things I do like about this country though. We have all sorts of terrain which is kinda cool. Deserts to the west, plains in central united states, mountains to the north/east, etc. I'm assuming that the brexit has put limitations on your free travel in Europe as well, so what do you have? Water to the east, water to the west. You guys segregated yourselves to an island.

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
The OUT Campaign promised to "trigger article 50" the day after the referendum

Do you have a source to verify this? Or are you just one amongst a bunch of morons who had no idea whsr they were actually voting for?

The fear mongering comes from those with the most to lose.

No. Ironically those with the *most* to lose were the very same people who voted *to* lose it.

Absolute insanity.

That's not... the issue.

Yea. Have you told the voters that?

Engert

I love me
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
But I do see patriotism as a bad thing. It promotes segregation. Should I feel proud that I just so happen to have been born in the us? Is the us the best country in the world? Of course not. There are things I do like about this country though. We have all sorts of terrain which is kinda cool. Deserts to the west, plains in central united states, mountains to the north/east, etc. I'm assuming that the brexit has put limitations on your free travel in Europe as well, so what do you have? Water to the east, water to the west. You guys segregated yourselves to an island.

It's easy for a lot of people to confuse dumb/stupid unfounded pride with National prosperity which creates a more humble pride. The campaign of any politician should not be " 'Murica the best country in the world " or " UK is the best " but to take care of its citizens first. Very few countries take care of its citizens now.

US was the best country in the world from 1950 - 1970 where 90% of things were made in USA and it had the economic, technological and cultural superiority than anyone else. Notice the correlation between ' Things made in USA" with prosperity. Since then we have lost the moral ground, we have done shitty things to many nations, we are not the leaders anymore in most things and we just keep getting worse with more unemployment and people who live in the streets.
Having said that (I've done my fair share of traveling around the world) USA is still a lot better than most countries i have visited in South America and in Europe.
Things are a lot easier and more practical in US than any countries i have visited.
So if you ask me if i'm proud to be born in US, i'd say NO but i wouldn't live anywhere else besides here. What makes a country cool is not just the geography, buildings but its way of life and the people. There are things that i like in US which i can't find anywhere else.
So if i go to England i'd like to see a British way of life and if i go to a remote place in South America i'd like to see a unique way of life there and i don't want to see globalization like Coca Cola, ATM machines and Wells Fargo banks.
The problem with US or countries like England is that you have horrible politicians who don't give a shit about you or me but only care about themselves. If they cared about the people you'd see that would only promote unity and not segregation. Because with prosperity comes happiness and less crime.
Nigel Farage quit by the way, that's how much of spineless assholes these politicians are.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another user that thinks it's a funny joke mentioning it.
don't be such a stick in the mud.
201607_1503_cbach_sm.jpg

Xiphiidae

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Nigel Farage quit by the way, that's how much of spineless assholes these politicians are.
So Nigel Frarage just abandoned ship like the little bitch he is
The entire raison d'être of him and his party was, believe it or not, 'UK Independence'. That was accomplished (I suppose), so of course he'd resign. Why would he not? His role was just to campaign for UK leaving the EU; he has never been in a position to have any control on what happens after.

Last edited by Xiphiidae,

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
The entire raison d'être of him and his party was, believe it or not, 'UK Independence'. That was accomplished (I suppose), so of course he'd resign. Why would he not? His role was just to campaign for UK leaving the EU; he has never been in a position to have any control on what happens after.
Come on... If he had honestly announced before the brexit campaign "I'm just campaigning for Brexit and I'm quitting afterwards" nobody would have taken him seriously. Everyone was assuming he would endorse some form of leadership in case of a win. Farage or at least Bojo.

This just goes to show they didn't think they would win and didn't plan the aftermath.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Come on... If he had honestly announced before the brexit campaign "I'm just campaigning for Brexit and I'm quitting afterwards" nobody would have taken him seriously. Everyone was assuming he would endorse some form of leadership in case of a win. Farage or at least Bojo.

This just goes to show they didn't think they would win and didn't plan the aftermath.
Exactly. Plus, I dunno if you recall, but Farage made a bunch of promises as to what would happen if the UK left the EU. It's kind of difficult to keep them when you're running for the hills away from any kind of leadership position

Reactions: I pwned U!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: hmm