Hardware Bricked Wii U (160-0103)

R0nny01

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Im following this forum a long time now and its time to tell u all my big Problem. I just got a bricked Wii U from ebay today and it has the Errorcode 160-0103 after booting up the System. Hardmodding is no problem for me. The problem is, that i have no dumps from this console. No OTP or SLC. Is it possible to do a full nand backup with teensy++2.0 and get the SLC.bin and unbrick this console? Hopefully my english is good enough :)

Last edited by R0nny01,

AxlSt00pid

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
My best guess is that you installed CBHC over a non-legit DS VC title (I say this because it's the most common brick on Wii U)
I don't think it's possible to recover if you haven't backed up your OTP or SLC when you could, sorry

R0nny01

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I dont know if someone tried to install CBHC. But is it possible that this error comes from out of nowhere and the slc is not touched?

AxlSt00pid

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I dont know if someone tried to install CBHC. But is it possible that this error comes from out of nowhere and the slc is not touched?
According to this thread this error pops up if cbhc is installed over a non-legit DS VC game, so yes, someone tried to do that.
Bad news, you have a very expensive paperweight and you can't recover your Wii U

Last edited by AxlSt00pid,
Reactions: vb_encryption_vb

R0nny01

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
So i can do with this console whatever i want. RIP Console. RIP my Money. But thanks anyways :)

R0nny01

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I bought the system because it is bricked. Im buying bricked consoles to repair them. So no refund for me ^^ Just bought another Wii U with a Black screen. Hopefully i can fix this...

R0nny01

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Sure i can. But it will not work, because the SLC is broken and i got no OTP Key. So a NAND dump is useless at this point.

Last edited by R0nny01,

AxlSt00pid

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain

R0nny01

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I just bought an other Wii U system with Black screen from the same guy. Do u guys think that the Black screen might be a CBHC Problem? Should i open a new Thread for this? ^^

AxlSt00pid

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I just bought an other Wii U system with Black screen from the same guy. Do u guys think that the Black screen might be a CBHC Problem? Should i open a new Thread for this? ^^
There's very few ways you can brick a Wii U, so it's either one of these three cases (someone correct me if I'm wrong anywhere though):

A)Coldboot Haxchi brick
This one is the most common afaik, and it's due to user error. It happens when the user installs coldboot haxchi (cbhc) over a non-legit (pirated/non-legal) DS VC game.
Since CBHC "replaces" your sistem menu with the DS VC game, and your game needs signature patches to boot because it's a pirated game then your Wii U displays an error because it can't access it's "home menu" (now the DS VC game) on boot.

B)Brick by deleting critical files
This one is also because of user error.
This happens when the user deletes important files of the NAND (such as System Menu files, for example) with FTPiiU everywhere, leading to a brick because the system can't find and load the files it needs.

C)Destroying the motherboard
This one is pretty self-explanatory, if you break the motherboard or part of it then your Wii U is bricked.

A and B can be recovered via hardmod if you have a backup of your OTP and/or your clean (not modified/pre-hack) SLC, you can't fix C for obvious reasons.

I hope this cleared some doubts you may have about what kind of bricks there are and how to fix them

EDIT: There's also some reports of bricks due to random corruptions, but they are not really common and since nobody knows what caused them there's not much documentation about them, but I think they're also recoverable via hardmod + OTP/SLC backups

R0nny01

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I dont know if the Gamepad will show something onscreen. i can only try it and hope thats an issue like this: LINK

Last edited by R0nny01,

AxlSt00pid

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I dont know if the Gamepad will show something onscreen. i can only try it and hope thats an issue like this: LINK
Well, if you're lucky and it shows on screen any minus error then it's an SD Card related error (like it can't properly read the SD Card because the contacts are dirty or because it's write-locked)

R0nny01

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
What about the Nand Extractor Tool? Does it need the OTP Key to decrypt the Nand and can i restore some system files with it?

EDIT: nvm, i need the OTP Key.

Last edited by R0nny01,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: My therapy chair is padded