OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I am trying to get rid of my current DS Lite (it's got several scratches on the cover and the touch screen) and get a new one.
Are there any stores out there that aren't very strict about taking returns? (doesn't check serial number)
I wanna buy a new one, replace it with my old one, then return it.

akuma99

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If you have a wal-mart near you they would be your best bet. I was going to do this with mine when I thought I bricked it with flashme. They never look at the serial number and stuff like that. Most of the time they don't even open the box if you make it look like it's never been opened.

serious_sean

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
is it still under warranty? i think you can send it back to nintendo for a new one.

If they need a reason that you are sending it back to them, you could always short it out and say it won't start anymore
laugh.gif

speechless

Friend Of GBATemp
Trophies
Website
nongoodgba.kiczek.com
XP
Country
United States
Most of the time they don't even open the box if you make it look like it's never been opened.

Do you have any tips?
Only thing I can think of is to peel the sticker off very slowly.
buy new ds lite, walk out to your car, put in your trunk...
now go back into store, with receipt of course, head and get another ds lite...
now go right to their return counter with your receipt and that unopened ds lite...
get your money back....

enjoy your free ds lite...

you can vary this by using different entrances/exits..
you can also walk out over and over, with more of the same item free...
they stop you see receipt let you out because its item on receipt...
then after getting 8 in your trunk, return and get 9th to return for your money back...
works best at big box walmarts stores...
i like dots...

remember, this advice is for scientific purposes not for defrauding walmart...
that is just a nice side effect...

if you just want to buy, replace with your old, return.. without actually 'stealing'..
which is what you are doing even using this method really..
but use a hair dryer on any taped areas to loosen the tape it will keep factory seal...
when you reseal the box with it, giving the appearance of unopened.

lecture.gif

akuma99

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It won't work that way at the walmarts I've been to because they keep the DS Lites and other high priced electronics in a case. When you ask them to get it out you have to pay for it in the electronics dept so you can't just walk around the store with it. As for how to make it look like it has never been opened just carefully cut the tape holding it closed and put another piece on top of it when you close it back that way it doesn't look tampered with.

Jt321

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
has anyone tried what speechless recommended?? haha sounds like it'll work

i bought a ps2 controller and switched it out with my broken one, there didnt care it was opened

Jinny

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for all your responses. I have decided that I will try it at Wal-Mart.

RE:Doss and 5uck3rpunch
You may think I am a really bad person, but people do these things all the time. And besides, most of us here in the video game homebrew (rom) community are more or less criminals already anyway.

sparky930

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
about your little walmart scamming trick...they put little pink stickers on the return products when you enter the door. So, if you're "returning" something, the customer service people won't even look at it unless you have a sticker on it.

Believe it or not, walmart is not that stupid. I got a PS2 network adapter free from Sony for working at Best Buy, they have some retail partnership thing with best buy. I went to return my unopened network adapter for store credit and they scanned the serial code on the back of the network adapter. They called an assistant manager on me claiming that the network adapter had never been sold (accusing me of stealing it). I told them I got it as a gift from a friend, so they let me go with the network adapter thankfully with no real problems.

So, I really wouldn't recommend screwing with wally world.

SomeGuyGG

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Take it back, say it has scratches on it [came like that] and exchange it for a new one... done and done. The truth usually works you know..

leetdood

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
...... Let me get this right. You're suggesting that he go and say that the DSL came with stratches, so they would give him a new DSL.

Even though it didn't come with stratches.

So... what part of 'The truth usually works' applies to this?

lego

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
buy new ds lite, walk out to your car, put in your trunk...
now go back into store, with receipt of course, head and get another ds lite...
now go right to their return counter with your receipt and that unopened ds lite...
get your money back....

enjoy your free ds lite...

remember, this advice is for scientific purposes not for defrauding walmart...
that is just a nice side effect...

lecture.gif

Also enjoy your possible criminal prosecution, your likely civil prosecution or both of the above combined with an ass-beating from your parents if you're a minor.

What you are advocating isn't fraud, it is theft. In most, if not all, american jurisdictions it is a misdemeanor which means that you are _more_ likely to be prosecuted than a petty felony like possession of controlled substances for personal use and in many states laws are on the books that allow retailers to proceed against you civilly for more than the value of stolen merchandise.

Since you're costing real money to everybody who shops at the stores you pull this crap at (retailers aren't charities, they need to make up for theft and loss prevention somehow and that 'somehow' is by raising prices) you will almost certainly get turned in by anybody who notices your thievery.

This is for scientific purposes only, not for advising a wannabe small-time crook...
that's just a nice side-effect.

HugeCock

Oh My....
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
When I was in America the other day there was a store in the mall called ....FYI and since its mainly a CD Store they know jack shit about serial numbers. I traded in a fucked up silver DS for a good one...then went back and traded that in for a blue DS. Woot. Screw the system! I have been doing this for like 10 years and never been caught. Shit I had to trade in like 14 ps1s cause they sucked so bad. If you use your brain then you should be AOK. And don't worry about costing everyone else money, its their own fault for not using the wonderful internet to do their shopping and get the best deals. Shit I used to do my grocery shopping online till I bought my own maid. (well technically shes my wife...but same thing) Back in the day I was involved in many scams including hijacking a truck full of DS LITES....ah the good old days. As for "American laws" fuck the judicial system as it's all bollocks anyway. 3 years ago I was involved in a cock fight which is illegal there....anyway I got shot and the shooter never saw jailtime. Now back to my watermellon and Guiness.....Fight the system!

ChaosTheorySD

Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I've done what speechless suggested a few times before, but never with anything big. Usually just like a bag of candy or something. Tough a friend of mine (well, his uncle actually) did that with a PS2 memory card at Fry's Electronics.

Darkforce

DERP!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I am trying to get rid of my current DS Lite (it's got several scratches on the cover and the touch screen) and get a new one.
Are there any stores out there that aren't very strict about taking returns? (doesn't check serial number)
I wanna buy a new one, replace it with my old one, then return it.

Dude why should someone else foot a load of hassle, just 'cos you can't look after your stuff?

Anywho, if they're not too deep you might be able to get the scratches on the cover out with some brasso or something =). As for ones on the screen... well you probably don't even notice them when it's on... you could probably get rid of them i.e. fill the scratches, with something like polish/car wax and put a screen protector over the screen to keep everything looking like new.

If you have a fault on your DS like a cracked hinge, dead pixel or anything then (i'd be suprised if you didn't!) you have a valid reason to try and return the item from the store you bought it but if the store won't take the return then just send it back to Nintendo... they would probably send you a new unit out. =)

HugeCock

Oh My....
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
For the record I have to swap my SPs all the time cause they get dust under the screen. (and sending to Nintendo sucks cause I will be without my baby for two weeks *sniff)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Morning