Hardware Buying a PS4 slim on black friday. What do I need to know?

placebooooo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys,

Basically, what do I know about the PS4? Absolutely nothing. The latest sony consoles I have are the psp phat (fat?) and playstation 2 systems. I intend to raid Kohl's on black friday to pick up a 1 TB PS4 for $200 (it just seems like a sweet deal!).

I browsed through the forums a bit but I couldn't make out the hacking/softmodding scene for the ps4. Do we have the ability to install backups yet? Will my console come with a hackable firmware? Is there anything else you guys recommend I know before purchase? Any game suggestions? (I don't do shooting, horror, cars, or fighting. I'm more of an RPG person). I also get $60 kohl's cash when I buy the ps4 and thought to just buy another controller with that money. Was thinking about starting off buying mighty no. 9 (im a megaman fan but heard this game was terrible? it is pretty cheap though).

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys,

Basically, what do I know about the PS4? Absolutely nothing. The latest sony consoles I have are the psp phat (fat?) and playstation 2 systems. I intend to raid Kohl's on black friday to pick up a 1 TB PS4 for $200 (it just seems like a sweet deal!).

I browsed through the forums a bit but I couldn't make out the hacking/softmodding scene for the ps4. Do we have the ability to install backups yet? Will my console come with a hackable firmware? Is there anything else you guys recommend I know before purchase? Any game suggestions? (I don't do shooting, horror, cars, or fighting. I'm more of an RPG person). I also get $60 kohl's cash when I buy the ps4 and thought to just buy another controller with that money. Was thinking about starting off buying mighty no. 9 (im a megaman fan but heard this game was terrible? it is pretty cheap though).

Thoughts? Suggestions?
only system on 1.76 and below can play backups (publicly) but may soon allow this up to 4.05
Mighty number 9 was garbage get Horizon Zero Dawn and FF15

placebooooo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
only system on 1.76 and below can play backups (publicly) but may soon allow this up to 4.05
Mighty number 9 was garbage get Horizon Zero Dawn and FF15
Definitely a final fantasy fan. FF15 looks great! The only final fantasy game I have ever played was crisis core for psp and loved it! I can see myself getting into this one. Thoughts on type 0? I can only afford one game right now so I guess I'll go with FF15 which you recommended.

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Definitely a final fantasy fan. FF15 looks great! The only final fantasy game I have ever played was crisis core for psp and loved it! I can see myself getting into this one. Thoughts on type 0? I can only afford one game right now so I guess I'll go with FF15 which you recommended.
type 0 was ok on pc but it's no where near the level of 15

Reactions: placebooooo

orcid

Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
The witcher 3 Game of the year edition is often avaiable for a budget price. Also Tales of Berseria is relatively cheap.
I would wait for a complete edition of FF XV. It is the game with the worst integration of dlc I have ever played. It will happen big things to the main characters and you will not know why because it is part of the dlc.

Lazyboss

Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
i played all FF games from I-XV including XI and XIV (online), FFXV was one of the worst "still better than XIII tho".
if you like JRPG games then go for Persona 5 or World of Final Fantasy.
or if you like Action RPG then got with Nier: Automata (amazing story)
other than that for best exclusive: Uncharted 4, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Bloodborne, Yakuza 0

placebooooo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi everyone!

If anyone was curious, here is an update on what I got. Long story short, I feel that I was victorious on this Black Friday:

Bought the slim ps4 1 TB from GameStop which came with a $50 gift card. Games I got:

Uncharted 4, god of war III, horizon zero dawn, and final fantasy 15 (I paid only $7 on top of the $50 gift card which was nice).

I was really at war between Nier Automata and Horizon zero dawn. I bit the bulletin and ended up going with Horizon. Sales associate also told me this game is fantastic, so I was reassured. Uncharted, god of war, and FF15 were all preowned (buy 2 preowned get a third free). I don’t know how I feel about preowned games, but the discs were in amazing shape (they almost appear new).

I’m positive uncharted will be a great game, so will Horizon from what everyone says. I played god of war back for ps2 but I never played god of war 3, so I think it’ll be enjoyable. I have mixed feelings about FF15 though. People have so many mixed reviews about this game: some say storyline was trash, DLC issues (I have never bought DLC in my life). I played FF crisis core for psp. Do you think I will enjoy the combat of this game and the story?

As a mega man fan, I picked up mighty 9 for $9 brand new from eBay. I also bought crash n sane trilogy for nostalgia reasons ($25) from toys R us.

I believe I can go in tomorrow and exchange games before the end of Friday if I want. If you guys have any suggestions, please let me know! I’ll definitely take them into consideration.

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi everyone!

If anyone was curious, here is an update on what I got. Long story short, I feel that I was victorious on this Black Friday:

Bought the slim ps4 1 TB from GameStop which came with a $50 gift card. Games I got:

Uncharted 4, god of war III, horizon zero dawn, and final fantasy 15 (I paid only $7 on top of the $50 gift card which was nice).

I was really at war between Nier Automata and Horizon zero dawn. I bit the bulletin and ended up going with Horizon. Sales associate also told me this game is fantastic, so I was reassured. Uncharted, god of war, and FF15 were all preowned (buy 2 preowned get a third free). I don’t know how I feel about preowned games, but the discs were in amazing shape (they almost appear new).

I’m positive uncharted will be a great game, so will Horizon from what everyone says. I played god of war back for ps2 but I never played god of war 3, so I think it’ll be enjoyable. I have mixed feelings about FF15 though. People have so many mixed reviews about this game: some say storyline was trash, DLC issues (I have never bought DLC in my life). I played FF crisis core for psp. Do you think I will enjoy the combat of this game and the story?

As a mega man fan, I picked up mighty 9 for $9 brand new from eBay. I also bought crash n sane trilogy for nostalgia reasons ($25) from toys R us.

I believe I can go in tomorrow and exchange games before the end of Friday if I want. If you guys have any suggestions, please let me know! I’ll definitely take them into consideration.
the combat is extremely similar to crisis core, also don't be suprised for the ending to make you tear up. Also play on the hardest difficulty and don't reset your character at the end there are extremely difficult boss fights and the reset does nothing

Ahmiyo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi everyone!

You should get Nier sooner or later. GOTY imo.

placebooooo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the combat is extremely similar to crisis core, also don't be suprised for the ending to make you tear up. Also play on the hardest difficulty and don't reset your character at the end there are extremely difficult boss fights and the reset does nothing

Yeah. I heard the story wasn’t too appealing, but I hope I still enjoy it. I’m expecting a lot out of the game honestly. I don’t know why but I just am. Also hoping DLC doesn’t affect my experience Much.

Will definitely start out on the hardest difficulty. Don’t know what resetting the character means but I’m sure I’ll figure that out once I start playing and will be sure not to do that.

You should get Nier sooner or later. GOTY imo.
I really want to! But I’m outta budget honestly. My initial plan was to pick up uncharted, horizon, Nier for $55. However, I ditched Nier to get two preowned games and pick up a free one. Nier new was $25, the preowned version was like $37 or something and they refused to give me the preowned one for the price of the new one which was on BF sale.

I don’t know if I can make it work out so I don’t have to pay much money and still be able to pick up Nier. I’ve spent a lot honestly.

Edit:
You made me want Nier more!

Last edited by placebooooo,

Smash Br0

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm thinking of buying a PS4 Pro today from Best Buy for $350. What firmware is it most likely to come with? What firmware is the best for hackability?

Is it better to try and find an older PS4 Pro if I want access to hacks in the future? Thanks for any advice.

_______

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Buy a Pro instead, even if you don't own a 4k TV yet. Honestly I can't even stand 1080p anymore after the switch (I use them on a 4K TV). Also the hardware is much better and Slim is a bit under power for recent games. The price margin between the 2 isn't big from where I live, not sure about Philly tho.

I sold my original PS4 and never use my Slim after I got the Pros.

placebooooo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Buy a Pro instead, even if you don't own a 4k TV yet. Honestly I can't even stand 1080p anymore after the switch (I use them on a 4K TV). Also the hardware is much better and Slim is a bit under power for recent games. The price margin between the 2 isn't big from where I live, not sure about Philly tho.

I sold my original PS4 and never use my Slim after I got the Pros.
Already bought the slim (and loving it!). I can’t afford the pro and I don’t have a 4K tv and don’t intend on getting a 4K tv anytime soon. Thanks though!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/IihvJBjUpNE?si=CsvoEbwzNKFf0GAm cool