Hardware Can I hack newly bought 2DS/3DS?

Bamanig

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Hi :) I sold my old DS and I plan to buy a 2DS/3DS. But I don't want to buy used console ( Most used consoles I found on the internet(I live in Poland) have the newest firmware(11.6.0-39E I believe). My question is - is newly bought console going to have the oldest firmware? (As far as I know older firmware is easier to hack). I would be grateful for any advice :)

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
( Most used consoles I found on the internet(I live in Poland) have the newest firmware(11.6.0-39E I believe).
thats fine all you need is a $20 usd ntrboot r4i to hack 11.6

My question is - is newly bought console going to have the oldest firmware? (As far as I know older firmware is easier to hack). I would be grateful for any advice
depends on the model / bundle / and how often they sell out at the store 11.3 or lower can be cfwed for free . . . 11.4- 11.6 need a ntrboot compatible flashcard . . . you can read more here 3DS Guide - 3DS Guide

and welcome to gbatemp i hope you enjoy your time here

Reactions: Pluupy

Bamanig

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Thanks a lot! :) I checked that site before and I guess I need to learn a lot more about 3DS. I could show you the offer with a console but it is a spam and I can't post it :( But I found some guys who can hack console for you(and it's really cheap). Maybe this will be easier? I will buy the console then and if it is 11.3 or lower I will hack it myself :D

BTW The console is WHITE/RED 2GB, that's all info posted, I don't know if it says much ^^;

Last edited by Bamanig,

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's no telling what firmware version a used console will have. If you're going to use the ntrboot method, which requires a flashcart, then it doesn't matter what firmware you get since it works with 11.6 (latest update).

The console information you posted means nothing. Only the 3DS model and firmware version matters. If you look here, there is a device table that shows all 3DS models. If you go into System Settings app on the console, the firmware version is on the bottom-right of the top screen.

ll_GMaN_ll

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't have someone do it as you're better off just getting the flashcart and doing it yourself. Even if you found someone to do it for the same price, you'll eventually want to upgrade your SD so doing it yourself is a better option.

remlei

Trophies
XP
Country
you can just assume that every 3ds today (new or used) are pre-installed with at least 11.5 firmware, you need at least 11.3 firmware for free entry point, else you just need a flashcart compatible ntrboot.

Most of the used 3ds in the market that stays on lower firmware is either its already preinstalled with cfw of some sort, or just seller never bother used the unit.

just buy a ntrboot compatible flashcart, that cost around 2-30USD (depending where you live), most people dont really care about flashcart now a days with 3DS, so they just buy the cheapest one which are the r4i clones (bought mine for 3USD or 150php here in my place) and that'll work similarly as other higher priced ntrboot flashcarts. Of course if you want a nds flashcarts to run your ds/dsi games well you might just go invest with the better ones.

Mark2333

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi :) I sold my old DS and I plan to buy a 2DS/3DS. But I don't want to buy used console ( Most used consoles I found on the internet(I live in Poland) have the newest firmware(11.6.0-39E I believe). My question is - is newly bought console going to have the oldest firmware? (As far as I know older firmware is easier to hack). I would be grateful for any advice :)
Yes, you can hack the new console even it comes with v11.6, now the cheapest way is to install CFW on it with NTRboot method, what you need is a flashcard and a magnet. The best NTRboothax card is R4I GOLD 3DS PLUS.

GC64

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So do people not manually hardmod their systems by soldering anymore simply because it is too risky? Let's say I didn't want to spend any money buying a flashcart.. could I still just do the old way of opening the system and soldering, or is there some advantage to using flashcarts?

GC64

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So do people not manually hardmod their systems by soldering anymore simply because it is too risky? Let's say I didn't want to spend any money buying a flashcart.. could I still just do the old way of opening the system and soldering, or is there some advantage to using flashcarts?

Pluupy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i dont understand why people say that when the ace3dsx has the switch in an accessible location . . . unlike r4i 3ds gold
The R4i 3DS Plus's is easily openable. You just use your fingernail along the obvious bottom crease and it pops right open. Combined with being more accessible (more reliable stores have it), it is the better option. Being of a recognizable name, people will flock to it more.
Not sure if this is a joke post. Any method of hacking a device that doesn't leave physical evidence or damage is always the better option. It also leaves the console the open opportunity of repairs from manufacturer. Not everyone knows how to solder or want to open their devices.

Last edited by Pluupy,

GC64

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure if this is a joke post. Any method of hacking a device that doesn't leave physical evidence or damage is always the better option. It also leaves the console the open opportunity of repairs from manufacturer. Not everyone knows how to solder or want to open their devices.
This is not a joke post, you clearly misunderstood my question. I understand the advantage of flashcarts is that it is much easier to do. I meant is there any advantage to flashcarts software wise? Every post or video I come across now has people saying you are practically retarded if you do the soldering method as opposed to the flashcart method. Are they saying this because the solder way is just too risky, or is there something more that flashcarts provide, software-wise, that makes them better? Sorry if it sounds stupid to ask, I just wanted to know if I'm doing something wrong by using the solder method.

Frezgle

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unless I'm mistaken, software-based methods of getting CFW on the device are reversible and a lot less easy to mess up. Hardware modification is permanent and riskier.

Reactions: GC64

Pluupy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is not a joke post, you clearly misunderstood my question. I understand the advantage of flashcarts is that it is much easier to do. I meant is there any advantage to flashcarts software wise? Every post or video I come across now has people saying you are practically retarded if you do the soldering method as opposed to the flashcart method. Are they saying this because the solder way is just too risky, or is there something more that flashcarts provide, software-wise, that makes them better? Sorry if it sounds stupid to ask, I just wanted to know if I'm doing something wrong by using the solder method.
I do not believe I am misunderstanding you.

It's silly to hardmod because there are easier solutions that don't "permanently" (depending on your skill) effect your 3DS. Most people don't want to open up their console. That requires skill and tools.

Software solution just needs a bit more money to buy a flashcart and for you to follow directions. Pointing and clicking. Maybe send your console to Nintendo if a screen breaks. They won't reject you because your console physically be intact.

As for doing the hardmod itself, guide explains it frankly:

Disadvantages:
  • The hardmod may cause problems if you are not careful: It may even lead to bricking your device!
  • Solder splashes can be harmful as well: they may short circuit other things.
  • Soldering experience is required, even though this is very simple, make sure you are fully acquainted with soldering before even attempting to come anywhere near your 3DS with your soldering iron. A solid grasp of soldering techniques will greatly help you and make sure your 3DS does not become an expensive piece of trash.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-noob-friendly-nand-dumping-2ds-3ds-3ds-xl-n3ds-n3ds-xl.414498/

And seriously, just look at that guide. There are steps for each device because each model is different in some way. At least with software solution you know it's all the same.

Reactions: Mark2333

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    StatusN @ StatusN: hi, i need help with unbanning my 3ds, can somebody show me a link to a seed that still works...