Hardware Can i use a laptop charger with a different brand of laptop

Dominator211

JFK's Jelly Donut
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
coming off of a long weekend, it is an early dismissal today and it looks like a snow day tmrw I am quite frankly bored out of my mind.. so it got me thinking.... my mom has an old gateway laptop died on her 5 years ago... it has no battery and no hard drive. so instead of ripping it apart, I want to see if can run windows on it again. I have a hard drive laying around that I could use so storage isn't a problem but power is. for some unknown reason, it doesn't have a battery or an AC adapter... looking at the power port on the back it looks like another old laptop (from around the same era) charger that we do have and may even work with my current laptop charger... (but I make no bets) My main problem is that when if the charger manages to fit into the port how do I know something won't spontaneously combust and light me and or my house on fire... so thats why I came here before I do something potentailly life threating!:yay: so tell me forums, what should I do.

My Laptop - Asus X555LAB
Moms Old Laptop - Some Red Gateway with AMD Processor
Dads Old Laptop - Black Toshiba with Intel Dual - Core Pentium

The3rdknuckles

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
coming off of a long weekend, it is an early dismissal today and it looks like a snow day tmrw I am quite frankly bored out of my mind.. so it got me thinking.... my mom has an old gateway laptop died on her 5 years ago... it has no battery and no hard drive. so instead of ripping it apart, I want to see if can run windows on it again. I have a hard drive laying around that I could use so storage isn't a problem but power is. for some unknown reason, it doesn't have a battery or an AC adapter... looking at the power port on the back it looks like another old laptop (from around the same era) charger that we do have and may even work with my current laptop charger... (but I make no bets) My main problem is that when if the charger manages to fit into the port how do I know something won't spontaneously combust and light me and or my house on fire... so thats why I came here before I do something potentailly life threating!:yay: so tell me forums, what should I do.

My Laptop - Asus X555LAB
Moms Old Laptop - Some Red Gateway with AMD Processor
Dads Old Laptop - Black Toshiba with Intel Dual - Core Pentium

Can you post pictures?

Dominator211

JFK's Jelly Donut
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here are the pictures

they do fit in... but it does require a but of a push to do so... no i am not sure if this is becuase they dont work or if becuase nothing has been plugged in there in years'

Attachments

• CE07D7EB-1255-4DA4-8182-DC5F37F4CBAF.jpeg
    CE07D7EB-1255-4DA4-8182-DC5F37F4CBAF.jpeg
    966.5 KB · Views: 210
  • 6153A380-AD81-4DB6-BF5B-0CF9180A008E.jpeg
    6153A380-AD81-4DB6-BF5B-0CF9180A008E.jpeg
    778.5 KB · Views: 210
  • 68ED15F2-7B39-451C-B08F-42286D3148DB.jpeg
    68ED15F2-7B39-451C-B08F-42286D3148DB.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 169
Last edited by Dominator211,

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Make sure the wattage and the amperage are sufficient to power your other laptop. If the wattage is lower, the laptop may not have enough power to function at load. If the amperage is lower, the laptop may not turn on whatsoever.

On the bottom of the laptop you want to test should be information about amperage and wattage you need to use to charge it, check that and post here.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Make sure the wattage and the amperage are sufficient to power your other laptop. If the wattage is lower, the laptop may not have enough power to function at load. If the amperage is lower, the laptop may not turn on whatsoever.

On the bottom of the laptop you want to test should be information about amperage and wattage you need to use to charge it, check that and post here.
In this case, wattage and amperage would be of identical consequence. Voltage * Amperage = Wattage, and voltage here will always be either 110 or 220

Last edited by TotalInsanity4,

Dominator211

JFK's Jelly Donut
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nothing will blow up, probably.

If the connector fits properly, and you're not bending any pins on the charger itself or the jack, it should be fine.
well if i die its your fault!:rofl2: now i dont even know what to use this laptop for anymore... ill use it as a slave to test out react os or something

also my floor is carpet which might be a problem...

Last edited by Dominator211,

Sathya

GBAtemp Professional Poetry maker
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
ok just be a simple man. look at your charger jack if it match with yoour laptop, and see the voltage must be match also with their previous charger.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
In this case, wattage and amperage would be of identical consequence. Voltage * Amperage = Wattage, and voltage here will always be either 110 or 220
That's for input to the charger itself, I'm talking about powering the laptop which would be the output. Most laptops require XYZ wattage in order to be powered by the adapter. Using this particular case, the charger outputs 19v and 3.95a which would be ~75 watts. The laptop requires 19v at 3.42a, which is ~65W, so the charger will work in this case (which, I see, it did).

But say the charger was for an older Sony laptop which only output 17v and 3.2a, the wattage would be ~55W, which in this particular case may not have been enough to power that laptop at load, it would shut down once it couldn't pull enough power at load (or, if the laptop or charger was old enough or cheap Chinese garbage, short the charger :P).

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Dominator211

JFK's Jelly Donut
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's for input to the charger itself, I'm talking about powering the laptop which would be the output. Most laptops require XYZ wattage in order to be powered by the adapter. Using this particular case, the charger outputs 19v and 3.95a which would be ~75 watts. The laptop requires 19v at 3.42a, which is ~65W, so the charger will work in this case (which, I see, it did).

But say the charger was for an older Sony laptop which only output 17v and 3.2a, the wattage would be ~55W, which in this particular case may not have been enough to power that laptop at load, it would shut down once it couldn't pull enough power at load (or, if the laptop or charger was old enough or cheap Chinese garbage, short the charger :P).
it cant seem to boot into windows but ill work on that later...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended