Chrome to start blocking ads on February 15

Flame

Me > You
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Google the biggest ad company will block ads on one of its, if not biggest service Chrome.

this is some next level inception going on here. this is a very odd move, makes me think. BUT WHY?

to make a bigger monopoly then it already has. Don't Be Evil Google then you all ready are.

also what does this mean for the ad blockers and the like e.g. ublock origin

https://venturebeat.com/2017/12/19/chrome-will-start-blocking-ads-on-february-15/

Reactions: Xzi and Lacius

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
yeah, but this sounds like non google ads.
No, they even stated their ads.

In June, Google revealed that Chrome will stop showing all ads (including those owned or served by Google) on websites that display non-compliant ads “starting in early 2018.” Now the company has committed to a date: Chrome’s built-in ad-blocker will start working on February 15, 2018.

Literally the first paragraph.

Also, it sounds like Google will be filtering the ads. Doesn't sound like adblockers will be redundant. Just that Google is getting tired of "low quality" ads.

Last edited by Kioku,
Reactions: Seliph and Ryccardo

Kigiru

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Oh wow. So they will block ads from other providers and do shit against their own ads (which in fact are the majority of ads on the web)
Well that's fucking nothing. Except it's pretty ass and underhanded buisness movement, i don't like it. Happily Google Chrome is an ass browser overall and i don't feel forced to use it.
Nevermind, tho Chrome is still an ass browser.

Last edited by Kigiru,
Reactions: hobbledehoy899

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Oh wow. So they will block ads from other providers and do shit against their own ads (which in fact are the majority of ads on the web)
Well that's fucking nothing. Except it's pretty ass and underhanded buisness movement, i don't like it. Happily Google Chrome is an ass browser overall and i don't feel forced to use it.
Sweet opinion, bro!

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I can use it just fine, not sure what your issue is. I hope you don't use IE or Edge lol.

Flame

Me > You
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP

Also, it sounds like Google will be filtering the ads. Doesn't sound like adblockers will be redundant. Just that Google is getting tired of "low quality" ads.

who watches the watcher? they not going to say lets block all ads which is not google.

to be fair before chrome all web browser were ass. they had no idea what they were doing. chrome came with a good simple UI, which brought good features, with it being pretty fast.

so what do you think of chromium browser?

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
who watches the watcher? they not going to say lets block all ads which is not google.

to be fair before chrome all web browser were ass. they had no idea what they were doing. chrome came with a good simple UI, which brought good features, with it being pretty fast.

so what do you think of chromium browser?

Don't start with the conspiracies now.

Flame

Me > You
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Don't start with the conspiracies now.

lol. conspiracies or whatever, its the truth. im not saying something like D. Trump is working for N. Korea or UFO's being covered by the US government am i?

google has a monopoly on ads which it makes it billions upon billions and wants to be doing this by destroying its competition.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
lol. conspiracies or whatever, its the truth. im not saying something like D. Trump is working for N. Korea or UFO's being covered by the US government am i?

google has a monopoly on ads which it makes it billions upon billions and wants to be doing this by destroying its competition.

Well, reading the wording.. And it's not sounding like Google is shutting down all ads. Rather just the more obtrusive ones, even their own. It's a conspiracy to insinuate Google has ulterior motives.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I wondered when someone would include such things from the factory, as opposed to just making it the worst kept secret ever.
I am not sure I would have pegged Chrome as the one to do it though.

Hopefully the other browsers move to achieve parity.

Flame

Me > You
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
I wondered when someone would include such things from the factory, as opposed to just making it the worst kept secret ever.
I am not sure I would have pegged Chrome as the one to do it though.

Hopefully the other browsers move to achieve parity.

Opera has been doing ad blocking for a while and even VPN.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There will be other ways to sustain themselves. Equally most things will find someone else willing to do it as a hobby (at least until they reckon they will take a crack and doing more here [insert circle of life]) so I am not so worried there.

Reactions: Ryccardo

smileyhead

I like cute stuff.
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Hungary
Google will block annoying ads, basically. Which is a brilliant idea IMO.

coalition_for_better_ads.png

Reactions: ThoD and Kioku

TVL

#|
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Opera still exists?

Either way then the fewer ads out there in the world the better.

To me it's the best browser on phones. Other alternatives are either you got to pay a monthly fee (I'd be more than happy to pay a one time fee, but I'm not subscribing to a browser) or they are in some other way just a worse alternative, IMO.

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal

But russian women 13 km from me

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I don't mind ads that much in all honesty.
It's the annoying popups and focus stealing pages that pretty much force you to do more then 2 clicks to get rid of them which are a major annoyance.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @realtimesave, hey there buddy chum pal friend buddy pal chum bud friend fella bruther amigo pal...