Homebrew Official Citra - New 3DS Emulator

dubbz82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You guys do know it's still going to be years before there's any chance of it running commercial games, right?

Maybe yes, maybe not....if/when it does, it'll start off with probably only the most basic of basic commercial games....for that to happen, there's probably only a few more components that are REALLY needed...how long it'll take to figure it out though depends on the skill of the programmer(s) involved, and how quickly some more chunks of the 3ds are actually documented for the programmer(s) to effectively implement into the emulator. 3dsbrew.org already has huge chunks of how the system works documented (which i'm sure current work is based on that).

dubbz82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why though? It's not gonna run commercial ROMs.

If it REALLY is intended as a correct emulator (no indication at all that it isn't), it should eventually provided work doesn't stop on it before it gets that far.....

Do note though, that there's several emulators for older consoles that have been in development for several years that are still actively worked on -- there's no reason to believe that the work on this will stop before it hits the point of loading commercial games. That being said, a 3ds console may (or may not) be worth much of anything by the point commercial games are running. No one really knows what the missing links are between what it's currently doing, and what's required for barebones commercial game loading.

Reactions: Snailface

2ndApex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe yes, maybe not....if/when it does, it'll start off with probably only the most basic of basic commercial games....for that to happen, there's probably only a few more components that are REALLY needed...how long it'll take to figure it out though depends on the skill of the programmer(s) involved, and how quickly some more chunks of the 3ds are actually documented for the programmer(s) to effectively implement into the emulator. 3dsbrew.org already has huge chunks of how the system works documented (which i'm sure current work is based on that).

You have no idea how huge of an understatement that is.

dubbz82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You have no idea how huge of an understatement that is.

I'm a programmer by trade, so I understand that it's a pretty large leap from homebrew to commercial games. Most of the time, (especially with newer consoles) homebrew only uses a small subset of the console's full ability. How huge of a leap it is, obviously depends on the console being emulated. I understand the 3ds presents some challenges as far as rom decryption, and that's probably going to be the main sticking point for a while....how long it'll take to work around it though is sorta hard to say at this point.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
an emulator that doesn't run commercial games ! No thanks
If you're only interested in this person's work so you don't have to pay for software, you're obviously not the target audience.
You also don't seem to know much about the development process of softwares like this emulator. Expecting a fully working product at the first stage of public release is ridiculous, and it likely won't be a possibility for several years (keep in mind that we don't yet have a perfect PlayStation 2 emulator).

Either wait it out, or develop your own emulator. Don't diminish someone else's (rather impressive) work just because it doesn't meet your impossible standards, especially when it's the biggest step in this direction yet.

Reactions: tjexp

williamcesar2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're only interested in this person's work so you don't have to pay for software, you're obviously not the target audience.
You also don't seem to know much about the development process of softwares like this emulator. Expecting a fully working product at the first stage of public release is ridiculous, and it likely won't be a possibility for several years (keep in mind that we don't yet have a perfect PlayStation 2 emulator).

Either wait it out, or develop your own emulator. Don't diminish someone else's (rather impressive) work just because it doesn't meet your impossible standards, especially when it's the biggest step in this direction yet.

why don't you replied that ? ''Ps: however keep up the good job''

I don't want to download now !

SirByte

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This reminds me a bit of getting a C64 emulator to work on the Amiga 500/2000. Only later on the hardware was powerful enough to get perfect emulation.

The first PSP emulators only did homebrew, too.

Eventually we WILL see a fully functional 3DS emulator, just like we've seen for any other older console, but the real work cannot start until after the 3DS has been fully hacked so you can get the firmware running on emulated hardware (to make the crypto work).

Reactions: Margen67

loco365

Trophies
XP
I'm looking forward to trying this, but I might wait for a prebuilt version. I don't feel like installing an entire IDE, updating it, and installing a plethora of other libraries just to play a few homebrew games and never use the IDE and libs otherwise.

qaz015393

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks guys for the project. Good luck with it.

I hope in the future there will be a android emulator. Since I would love to backup my games & play them on my phone.

I'm looking forward to trying this, but I might wait for a prebuilt version. I don't feel like installing an entire IDE, updating it, and installing a plethora of other libraries just to play a few homebrew games and never use the IDE and libs otherwise.
I'm going to wait for it too.

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
thanks guys for the project. Good luck with it.

I hope in the future there will be a android emulator. Since I would love to backup my games & play them on my phone.

I'm going to wait for it too.
Yep. Despite being stated in the OP this is pretty much the only thing people are expecting.

daicon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Relax guys, OP says it'll be running commercial games at 60 FPS and rendered at 1080 by the time the new smash bros comes out ;)

But seriously though, this is a great project, best news I've heard in a long time!

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
This is amazing news for the 3DS homebrew scene, although it can't play ROMs we have gotten a functional emulator that should result in faster homebrew developement.
The way things seem to be shaping, we're going to have a booming homebrew scene without the controversy of piracy labelled on top of it.
I look forward to seeing future developements for the 3DS.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Water park was quite fun
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Water park was quite fun