Homebrew Clarification Thread - What is going on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dark_samus3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
in moments like this, i don't even know who i must trust :'v
I'll help you out. The piece of code it was based off of was posted in this thread. All he's doing is using someone else's code, modifying the printf's and running it. I could have had the same code running on my 3ds on 10.3 the second homebrew supported 10.3. He did nothing useful and if you look above zoogie showed he wasn't even getting am:u services. Obvious bull

vlasp01

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, I just don't find the heaps of praise and arguments are warranted. I've explained this, and I guarantee I know more about what's going on than you. It's just a bit grating to see "HE INVENTED A NEW FILE TYPE BY HIMSELF!" when its less than approximately 32 bits of header data.
Sorry if I came off like that, but what I actually meant was that he changed the file type so that n00bs would not use a .zip or a .cia file other than the 9.2/9.0 update cia/zip, and I was crediting him for that.

Reactions: WeedZ and cid xiv

itsthenavy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, he said it was NOT a zip file, with a SHA-1 layer, from what i know. soo..its not just a "zip file". i had a chat with him on twitter about it. its not a zip file.
Okay look, it's a zip. Full stop. No arguing. That "SHA-1 layer" and "metadata" are the zip header. He can use all 29 bits in the header because he's not compressing the contents of the archive. He can tell you what he wants, but file formats don't lie. It's a repurposed and slightly rebranded zip is entirely synonymous.

Sorry if I came off like that, but what I actually meant was that he changed the file type so that n00bs would not use a .zip or a .cia file other than the 9.2/9.0 update cia/zip, and I was crediting him for that.
That's still not what he did, as I explained a few pages back when I directly replied to you. To reiterate, it's to verify file integrity and to prevent bricks from flashing incorrect firmware.

Reactions: cid xiv and mungry

PixelTheKWolf

Memelord Deluxe
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay look, it's a zip. Full stop. No arguing. That "SHA-1 layer" and "metadata" are the zip header. He can use all 29 bits in the header because he's not compressing the contents of the archive. He can tell you what he wants, but file formats don't lie. It's a repurposed and slightly rebranded zip is entirely synonymous.

That's still not what he did, as I explained a few pages back when I directly replied to you. To reiterate, it's to verify file integrity and to prevent bricks from flashing incorrect firmware.
See, thats what i meant. i failed at typing it..sort of..i guess, but its to prevent bricks and have checksumming to be sure it's the correct file.

Reactions: WeedZ and cid xiv

vlasp01

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Oh. Sorry, I misunderstood what we were talking about the whole time. I guess adding a few more lines to a file and renaming it isn't that big of a deal, but I was using it in the context that it was better than what the troll was doing 10-15 pages back would ever do. That was the whole point of me starting that topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night