• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Colbert likely running for president in 2012

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's a link to the clip from last night's episode.

To the people suspecting that he will divert votes away from Obama, it appears that he will be actually running as a Republican in the South Carolina primary. It's all speculation at this point, but I'd guess that he's doing this to throw a monkey wrench into the Republican contest for the nomination.

Honestly, I just can't wait to see what happens next.

shortz1994

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
fist bump. thats all i'm going to say.. nice way to shake things up. Obama is a joke, asking for more money to barrow,raising the debt ceiling. on top of all this, we( the united states), look like a joke to the rest of the world,an no one takes us seriously anymore,an after what happened with the marines,(pissing on dead bodies) this has caused us to look even worse.
the republicans, are one big frat boy party an no better, go ahead an vote for any of those jokers if you want, we will be even worse off. gingrich can't keep his hands out of the cookie jar.(look at his record,they don't charge you with ethics violation for nothing, ron paul, too old,an not stable enough.(mentally). mitt romney, just remember the salem witch trials. but this time it will be the poor suffering an not witches.
I'm all for colbert running. atleast he'll have the brass nutts to tell the truth.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Stephen Colbert for president... :unsure:

7C3uJ.jpg

smile72

NewsBot
Trophies
XP
Country
He can't run in the South Carolina primary, it's too late to get put on the ballot and South Carolina does not allow write-in candidates.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The guy did this in 08 not seriously though, if he goes in this time seriously he could probably pull out a win. The down side would be, what kind of president would he be?

Compared to what?

But were he serious, I don't think the country would take him serious; therefore, I don't believe he would stay long in the race, let alone win.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He can't run in the South Carolina primary, it's too late to get put on the ballot and South Carolina does not allow write-in candidates.

I doubt he would go through all of this (specifically declaring that he was forming "
an exploratory committee to lay the groundwork for my possible candidacy for the president of the United States of South Carolina.") if it was already too late.​

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is too late. South Carolina does not allow write-ins.

And again, he would not be doing this if there wasn't some way for him to get on the ballot. What that is, I have no idea, but common sense dictates that he would have been planning this out in advance; if there was absolutely no way he could get in now, then why wait for so long? (Unless that's part of the joke which, knowing Colbert, it may very well be. Call it a hunch, though, but that doesn't sound right).

For the time being, we're all going to have to wait for more specific information to come to light. Count me, at the very least, very interested.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended