Hacking Controlling Bootmii

jellybones

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm wondering if there's a way to get Bootmii to respond to both my GC controller AND my wiimote. If I plan to play a gamecube or wii game, it would be nice if I didn't have to use the other controller just to navigate the menu. As is, it only works with the GC controller. Which is fine.

I understand the .ini file let's you set the delay, but is this the solution? If so, how long would I need to set the delay for?

The only other workaround I can think of is to let me use the GC controller in the normal wii menu in addition to a wiimote, so if any homebrew tools like that exist I would appreciate knowing. Or are there any other good loaders that allow me to use either controller? Thanks.

jellybones

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why do you have to constantly be in Bootmii? After completing the hack and adding/preparing everything, you really don't need to go there much. Maybe set it up so your Wii boots up at homescreen, then just go to Homebrew Channel

I'm.. not sure where your post went, but that still defeats the purpose of what I want. If I did that, then I couldn't control the menu with the gamecube controller and always need the wiimote... pretty much the same problem. Unless, you know, there's a way to make it so I can control the wii menu cursor with a GC controller...

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm.. not sure where your post went, but that still defeats the purpose of what I want. If I did that, then I couldn't control the menu with the gamecube controller and always need the wiimote... pretty much the same problem. Unless, you know, there's a way to make it so I can control the wii menu cursor with a GC controller...

Boot directly to a USB loader. All three current ones are controllable with a GC gamepad.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I'm wondering if there's a way to get Bootmii to respond to both my GC controller AND my wiimote. If I plan to play a gamecube or wii game, it would be nice if I didn't have to use the other controller just to navigate the menu. As is, it only works with the GC controller. Which is fine.

I understand the .ini file let's you set the delay, but is this the solution? If so, how long would I need to set the delay for?

The only other workaround I can think of is to let me use the GC controller in the normal wii menu in addition to a wiimote, so if any homebrew tools like that exist I would appreciate knowing. Or are there any other good loaders that allow me to use either controller? Thanks.
The BT isn't initialized yet at that point, since it's handled by IOS. Someone would have to implement a bluetooth stack in BootMii.
Booting directly to USB Loader GX isn't a bad idea though. It works well as a system menu replacement and supports GC controllers.

Edit: Personally, I had BootMii set up to autoboot system menu with 3 seconds delay. Saves you having to press any buttons and gives you enough time to interrupt the autoboot if you need to. I suggest just setting the delay to 3-5s, you should never need to use the functions in the BootMii menu unless you bricked.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Like Jdbye said, the Bluetooth isn't initialized at that point yet.
It's impossible to control BootMii with the wiimote.

The buttons on the Wii itself can be used and the GCN but you already knew that.
You could also simply rename the bootmii executable to bootmii.elf.bak.
I think it was a elf file.
Otherwise, rename the BootMii folder to Z - Bootmii or something.

jellybones

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks to all the posters- so I did as you suggested Dinoh and renamed the bootmi executable, so at least I have it there in case. Instead of USB Loader GX though (which is nice, but I prefer Wiiflow's layout and such) it turns out I can have Priiloader boot straight to the homebrew menu which in itself can be controlled with both controllers, which is what I wanted. No more clutter for me. :)

For anyone down the line reading this, I found out how to here: https://smashboards.com/threads/mod...-the-homebrew-channel-goodbye-wiimote.358240/

Reactions: Deleted User

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Thanks to all the posters- so I did as you suggested Dinoh and renamed the bootmi executable, so at least I have it there in case. Instead of USB Loader GX though (which is nice, but I prefer Wiiflow's layout and such) it turns out I can have Priiloader boot straight to the homebrew menu which in itself can be controlled with both controllers, which is what I wanted. No more clutter for me. :)

For anyone down the line reading this, I found out how to here: https://smashboards.com/threads/mod...-the-homebrew-channel-goodbye-wiimote.358240/
USB Loader GX can be used to launch homebrew as well. Saves you from having to launch a USB loader to play games.
WiiFlow can do most of the same things, but I don't think it can launch homebrew.

jellybones

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would be down for that if I could get USB Loader GX to also display Gamecube games. I just switched back to that after seeing Wiiflow sometimes likes to crash when booting a game. When picking what to boot to with priiloader, it also didn't give usb loader gx as an option.

wicksand420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would be down for that if I could get USB Loader GX to also display Gamecube games. I just switched back to that after seeing Wiiflow sometimes likes to crash when booting a game. When picking what to boot to with priiloader, it also didn't give usb loader gx as an option.
Usbloadergx supports nintendont

jellybones

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Usbloadergx supports nintendont
So I've heard, and I have the correct formatting and naming scheme for my gamecube games. All in a folder labeled 'game', with the folders being named after the game and the actual file being game.iso

Fiddling with settings within USB Loader GX hasn't brought them up, though.

SirNapkin1334

Renound Aritst
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As others have stated, you cannot use WiiMotes in BootMii. However, you can use the Wii's physical buttons (power, reset) to navigate (Power = next option, Reset = Select). I knew that sounds weird, but it works. You get used to it.
At one point, you also use the EJECT button (skip NAND backup verification).

wicksand420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I've heard, and I have the correct formatting and naming scheme for my gamecube games. All in a folder labeled 'game', with the folders being named after the game and the actual file being game.iso

Fiddling with settings within USB Loader GX hasn't brought them up, though.
in usbloader gx there is a bar at the top of the screen, the icon that looks like game systems, click on it and select to display gamecube games

Last edited by wicksand420,

jellybones

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
in usbloader gx there is a bar at the top of the screen, the icon that looks like game systems, click on it and select to display gamecube games

It was already checked by default. In settings there is an option to set the path for Nintendont but none of the choices yield anything it seems :/ I have my GC games on a different USB than my Wii ones, but both are always in at the same time of course.

Also, instead of making another thread... now USB Loader GX hangs when I try to load backups of some games I just added. I thought it was because I was using a new USB for Wii games (went from 16 to 64gb) but the game I was playing before still loads perfectly fine. Anytime I pick a new one it just freezes but the music keeps playing but it won't respond to any buttons pressed. This also happened after trying to update the disc/custom banner animations for these games, and even sometimes in the settings menu too. USB is formatted to NTFS like my other one. These new games are .wbfs so I'm not sure what went wrong.

Last edited by jellybones,

jellybones

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It was NTFS earlier today but I changed it to FAT32 with the 32kb cluster and put both gc and wii games on it (they were on different usbs before) with the correct naming scheme. But usb loader still fails to see it and when I try to change the usb port in settings from 0 to 1 it always crashes and in general has just gotten unstable. Wii Flow Lite finds and detects it fine but actually trying to start a game makes it load with the wiiflow logo and then it resets to the wii system menu.

It's crazy that everything stopped working and it's just frustrating now

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/eJV6GaIEgd4?si=ciLPnlhfd7XcrxQn