Homebrew Cubic Ninja QR-CODE

elm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone with a Gateway, try using the Cubic Ninja to get the exploit working??

edit: Just got this response: It works but there are some annoyances to it. If you are on emunand you can't remove the SD, reinsert and expect the homebrew loader to read it
NicEXE, A moment ago Report Top

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
Has anyone with a Gateway, try using the Cubic Ninja to get the exploit working??

edit: Just got this response: It works but there are some annoyances to it. If you are on emunand you can't remove the SD, reinsert and expect the homebrew loader to read it
NicEXE, A moment ago Report Top

Its quite easy to solve that issue!. Download the starter pack first and then copy & paste everything on to the route of your SD Card, slot it in your 3DS and then run Cubic Ninja via the CIA generated on your home screen version, then go into QR Scan code in Cubic Ninja and scan your QR Code in and away you go no need to pull your sd card in and out, after that you just go into Cubic Ninja all the time press A on QR Scan and the HBC will automatically boot up every time from then on!. Lets hope the HBC for the 3DS has a bright future, really cool stuff so far, could do with some funky music to go with the HBC screen I used to love the music on the Wii version, you kind of miss it in a way!!! :)

Reactions: Margen67 and elm

FPSRussi4

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
This is great! Noob question: You mentioned other games that use QR codes. Can they be potentially exploited? If so, will they be userland as well?

Reactions: Margen67

Reecey

Trophies
XP
Country
This is great! Noob question: You mentioned other games that use QR codes. Can they be potentially exploited? If so, will they be userland as well?

You will never be able to run roms, if that is what you mean, its impossible, he uses an exploit that is the Glitch within Cubic Ninja also the games makers have gone into liquidation so there wouild be no chance of the game ever getting updated so the exploit will never go wrong but its not a kernal Exploit that allows complete access to the 3DS so roms cannot be booted. But we will see some kickass Homebrew coming through in the near future and the Homebrew Channel itself is amazing stuff! :)

Reactions: Margen67

FPSRussi4

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
You will never be able to run roms, if that is what you mean, its impossible, he uses an exploit that is the Glitch within Cubic Ninja also the games makers have gone into liquidation so there wouild be no chance of the game ever getting updated so the exploit will never go wrong but its not a kernal Exploit

Yup, that's exactly what I asked/wanted. Nailed it. And I'm a rom-hungry pirate, not a curious observer.
Let me try again, just for you: OP mentioned other games that use QR codes, like new leaf. Can they be exploited as well, and if so, will they also be userland.

Reactions: Zidapi and Margen67

Reecey

Trophies
XP
Country
Yup, that's exactly what I asked/wanted. Nailed it. And I'm a rom-hungry pirate, not a curious observer.
Let me try again, just for you: OP mentioned other games that use QR codes, like new leaf. Can they be exploited as well, and if so, will they also be userland.

That's cool m8, don't worry I'm a hungry pirate as well that is why I have a Gateway for roms, I'm not ashamed at all to say it either. The answer though to your question is no I doubt QR Coded games will ever be exploited to run them so don't hold your hopes up for that ever happening. I think Smealum only created this for pure only Homebrew achievement I don't think he ever intended running roms at all.

Reactions: Margen67 and Celice

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
the QR code is a "entry point" that is then used to trigger ssspwn, idk maybe if other games have similar bugs that could be used as entry points there would be no need to crazy priced cubic ninjas's....that being said the kernel mode/userland nature of the exploit is down to the second stage.....if there was a 9.x kernel exploit it could be triggered by the cubic ninja entry point, but there isnt one, and ssspwn won't ever be one, which means unless someone finds a completely different exploit any theoretical entry points found in other games that use ssspwn would also be usermode

FPSRussi4

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
the QR code is a "entry point" that is then used to trigger ssspwn, idk maybe if other games have similar bugs that could be used as entry points there would be no need to crazy priced cubic ninjas's....that being said the kernel mode/userland nature of the exploit is down to the second stage.....if there was a 9.x kernel exploit it could be triggered by the cubic ninja entry point, but there isnt one, and ssspwn won't eve be one, which means unless someone finds a completely different exploit any theoretical entry points found in other games that use ssspwn would also be usermode

Okay that makes sense. thanks!

elm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its quite easy to solve that issue!. Download the starter pack first and then copy & paste everything on to the route of your SD Card, slot it in your 3DS and then run Cubic Ninja via the CIA generated on your home screen version, then go into QR Scan code in Cubic Ninja and scan your QR Code in and away you go no need to pull your sd card in and out, after that you just go into Cubic Ninja all the time press A on QR Scan and the HBC will automatically boot up every time from then on!. Lets hope the HBC for the 3DS has a bright future, really cool stuff so far, could do with some funky music to go with the HBC screen I used to love the music on the Wii version, you kind of miss it in a way!!! :)

Awesome, I will try this.. Thanks! I also liked the Wii HBC music, very soothing :)

Reactions: Reecey

Trophies
Website
173210.github.io
XP
Country
QR Code is too short to contain entire code.
I think it much better to capture the internet access with a tool like Fiddler.
It should obtain some codes on the Internet.

jl1990

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Reecey said:
You will never be able to run roms, if that is what you mean, its impossible, he uses an exploit that is the Glitch within Cubic Ninja also the games makers have gone into liquidation so there wouild be no chance of the game ever getting updated so the exploit will never go wrong but its not a kernal Exploit that allows complete access to the 3DS so roms cannot be booted. But we will see some kickass Homebrew coming through in the near future and the Homebrew Channel itself is amazing stuff! :)

That's not exactly true, if you can find a leverage exploit in user mode you could get kernel mode access, so you could run any code that you want. The hard part is finding the exploit in user mode :).

ken28

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
That's not exactly true, if you can find a leverage exploit in user mode you could get kernel mode access, so you could run any code that you want. The hard part is finding the exploit in user mode :).
Alias we don't really know what the exploit really allows until we see the source code of it. So far we know it as an userland exploit and I trust smealum but his claim to be apple to lift the region lock with it is in an strong contradiction to it being a simple user land exploits. I can think of two ways to archive such a thing.

1 spoofing the system to think it's from the right region.
2 launching a game via ninjhax while the 3ds thinks it's still playing can.

Both aren't doable with user land only. But I will be pleased to be convinced otherwise.

Reactions: Zidapi

drwhojan

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Crash eshop through QR code .

QR code is an own eshop kind of server , downloading a game through you're console's encryption key and firmware version.. to SDhc .

Depending of if can be edited this way with a game are some think like cubic ninja was done .

Well in theory...

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

The game can be updated by Nintendo on a firmware level. Also the game's developer was merged with Marvelous Entertainment, not liquidation. The game itself won't probably be patched, but removing the exploit entry point on firmware can easily kill the exploit. Nintendo has done it with the Cooking Coach exploit on both the DSi and 3DS consoles (blocked the exploit itself on retail carts as well as the CycloDS iEvolution flashcart's DSi mode by removing the save file itself if the console detected it).

Reactions: Reecey

Reecey

Trophies
XP
Country
The game can be updated by Nintendo on a firmware level. Also the game's developer was merged with Marvelous Entertainment, not liquidation. The game itself won't probably be patched, but removing the exploit entry point on firmware can easily kill the exploit. Nintendo has done it with the Cooking Coach exploit on both the DSi and 3DS consoles (blocked the exploit itself on retail carts as well as the CycloDS iEvolution flashcart's DSi mode by removing the save file itself if the console detected it).

So there is a chance then the exploit can be blocked on future updates. I thought the makers went into liquidation, that was why he choose Cubic Ninja so it could never be updated in the future. Great stuff for the 3DS coming through, hats off to the guy, if I said anything in the past about it him I take it all back, sorry, great work smealum keep it up lad! :yaynds:

TidusWulf

Real Aloha
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He Chose Cubic Ninja because Cubic Ninja's code allowed the exploit. If it was an exploit in how the DS reads all QR codes for any software, we would've had this hack months ago with Pushmo. The fault is not Nintendo's programming, it's the Makers of Cubic Ninja. However, the firmware can definitely be patched (Twilight hack was patched via firmware on the Wii). Also, If things go the way the twilight hack went, it's very likely that this exploit will lead to another that, in turn, allows deeper access into the 3DS. Of Course, I'm not a developer, so I don't claim to be an expert. Just making an observation based on past experience

jl1990

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The QR has a crc as I was suspecting in the beginning. Right now I'm trying to find the polynomial. Looking at Ninjhax exploit I realized it uses a type A level.

kedest

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
He Chose Cubic Ninja because Cubic Ninja's code allowed the exploit. If it was an exploit in how the DS reads all QR codes for any software, we would've had this hack months ago with Pushmo. The fault is not Nintendo's programming, it's the Makers of Cubic Ninja. However, the firmware can definitely be patched (Twilight hack was patched via firmware on the Wii). Also, If things go the way the twilight hack went, it's very likely that this exploit will lead to another that, in turn, allows deeper access into the 3DS. Of Course, I'm not a developer, so I don't claim to be an expert. Just making an observation based on past experience

Was the Twilight Hack actually patched? I think that depends on how you look at it.
The actual exploit itself has never really been patched. The Wii's firmware just simply can't intervene with the code that's running from the game disc. If there's an exploit that can be used in the game, the system has no way to stop it directly. The software on disc is in full control. The menu you see when you press the home button is coded in the game, it's not the system menu.
So what did they do to stop twilight hack? The system menu simply recognizes the hacked savegame and removes it from the Wii. It also refuses to copy it again from sd to wii. So this effectively killed the Twilight Hack, but not by patching the game code on the fly

Now, for 3DS it's a whole different story. The 3DS firmware can interact with the running game and patch it. So a fix that kills ninjhax will come.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Morning