Hacking {DEBUNKED} Splatoon 2 hacker spotted.

Giodude

GBAtemp's official rock
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So as covered in this gamexplain video, there have been multiple reports of a splatoon 2 player who managed to hack in themselves a sploosh o matic, much like the later testfires in splatoon 1. I havent seen anybody else talk about it, but i just wanted to bring it into perspective, mainly because the switch does not have arbitrary code execution yet. Here is the video...

Reactions: Anonymous42456

Somebody Whoisbored

it's all okeydokey
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From what I've heard, the ?s is the default for when a user does not have a user (due to an error). This also auto-picks the Sploosh-o-matic(terrible idea in the first place). This could mean that no code exec is required, but instead, all the "hacker" would need to do is cause an error when he sends his user to the server (through a DNS maybe?)

Last edited by Somebody Whoisbored,
Reactions: CeeDee

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not hacks, it's just error.
And Sploosh-o-Matic is weapon ID 0, the one it defaults to in the case of error.

alepman90

Trophies
XP
Country
It's not hacks, it's just error.
And Sploosh-o-Matic is weapon ID 0, the one it defaults to in the case of error.
Few players already encountered them,seems a hack to me esp Splatoon's files been there for almost a week before the test fire started

SonicCloud

miss americana.
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
This cant be a hack , the console is just barely going on the hidden browser CVE-2016-4657 exploits.

If this would be a real hack , the person who did this should have gotten a DEP bypass in order to get homebrew. As of now , that hasnt happened yet.
The only thing is that the servers did disconnected a player or showed a glitch , where the player has a "?????" as name and the ID of the Sploosh-O-Matic is 0 , so basically it was a glitch and the server choosed the first weapon on the ID list

tl;dr : No , wasnt a hack

hitodesu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On the topic of splatoon, I found something interesting out today. If you have your switch on a dns to browse (I think fiddler also works) when you try to play, it will bring up the browser but what makes this interesting to me is that all of the other methods I know of do not allow you to go home and return to the same page. I'm not sure if they are any uses for this but it is something.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

You also stay logged in on anything you have logged into when you turn it off or go home.

Somebody Whoisbored

it's all okeydokey
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On the topic of splatoon, I found something interesting out today. If you have your switch on a dns to browse (I think fiddler also works) when you try to play, it will bring up the browser but what makes this interesting to me is that all of the other methods I know of do not allow you to go home and return to the same page. I'm not sure if they are any uses for this but it is something.

You also stay logged in on anything you have logged into when you turn it off or go home.
Might be interesting, but only if the web app has access to memory from the background app (Splatoon 2)

Fluto

A potato in disguise
Trophies
XP
Country
That happened to me.
When the game started someone in the lobby was disconnected. There were three people on my team as a result. When the game ended the scoreboard showed that disconnected user as ????????. The odd thing was that that entry had 1000 points.
[EDIT] This is due to our team winning, you receive 1000 bonus points.

2017032522165500-777AC1189ADA093280C624C7F7AA30B1.jpg

Last edited by Fluto,
Reactions: NekoMichi

Somebody Whoisbored

it's all okeydokey
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That happened to me.
When the game started someone in the lobby was disconnected. There were three people on my team as a result. When the game ended the scoreboard showed that disconnected user as ????????. The odd thing was that that entry had 1000 points.

View attachment 82514
The winners always get an extra 1000p.

ChaosRipple

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I too heard it was because of a disconnected user. But also putting it out there that just because there isn't a public way of bypassing DEP and running homebrew doesn't mean there isn't a private way of doing so.

AecdArmy

Biscuit#0001
Trophies
Website
mariebot.tech
XP
Country
Australia
Those ????? are caused by the player having a error with the server, Also the Sploosh-o-Matic must be the default weapon so it results to that also the score is 0 so they got disconnected when the match started so it was a server error.

D

Deleted User

I believe it might, considering how the splatoony music continues to play while your on it.
I can play Spotify on my tablet and open a browser. Spotify keeps playing. That doesn't mean the browser can access Spotify's memory.

hitodesu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can play Spotify on my tablet and open a browser. Spotify keeps playing. That doesn't mean the browser can access Spotify's memory.
We'll never know unless we try, it's basically just trying pegaswitch on the same thing but trying it from splatoon

Last edited by hitodesu,

Risingdawn

Tempallica
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

I've had a similar thing happen when playing AcA Neo geo games and trying to post a high score, will open web browser when DNS is set, when exiting out returns to game.

I doubt this is anything in my case other than opening a 'new tab' as it were.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Nope. Not into gaming.