Decades of Games Later, Stickers Still Suck

n64snes_31.jpg
The fondest memories I carry in my years of gaming lie in the excitement of scouring shelves and pouring over box art to find what caught my young adolescent eyes. Running up and down aisles of Blockbuster and Toys R Us admiring the vibrant visuals and reading every small back of the box blurb to see what I might be taking home with me that day.

Many of us share similar memories. The long car ride home that was sometimes satiated by ripping the box open and staring at the manual that games still bothered to pack in with the disc or cartridge. Running inside and jumping right into a brand-new experience without a care in the world. Nostalgia at its finest.

The hours go by. The entertainment settles. The time comes to put the game back, maybe to play something else, maybe because you dislike leaving games in their system. And you find yourself face to face with one of two scenarios.

The wonderfully clean and vibrant box that you were given in its pristine and unblemished glory.

Or this.

hqdefault.jpg

These.

2431351-xbox-720-drm-oxcgn-6.jpg

Monstrosities.

maxresdefault.jpg

These unwavering insults to a collector’s eyes have existed practically since games have existed. The retail sticker and the security seal have ruined painstakingly crafted title cards for generations now.

I’ll never forget the day I opened my copy of Pokémon Stadium. The giant box with the game transfer Pak inside and the gorgeous artwork on every face of this lovely little cube. At least, it had been gorgeous. Until it was ruined when my fingers attempted to open it and get to the game inside.

20171205_123946.jpg

The rips, the tears, the glue riddled residue left behind is enough to make your mind crumble in on itself. Clumsy removal leads to your property, the thing you just spent your precious money on, being scarred for the rest of its existence.

I could maybe even understand the early days of games. The lack of regard for this new hobby of gaming and collection was surely just ignorance on the retailers’ part. Yet here we stand, nearly three decades later and I still have to look at this collector’s edition with a damn sticker slapped over the only way to open it.

20151014_144747_resized.jpg

We are still dealing with stickers all over our gorgeous new systems and toys.

We have YouTube videos dedicated to painstaking sticker removal. We have highly detailed wiki-how’s describing every possible method to remove them. It’s the equivalent of game collecting surgery. All these precise methods of scraping, heating, and praying that the thing comes off and leaves no trace of its damned existence.

How many classic Nintendo boxes have had to suffer rips and tears thanks to these stickers? How many collectors have cried themselves to sleep at night over the giant blemish they know will never truly leave the pretty box they have on their shelf? How much more can I dramatize this issue?

kodbb17zamqz.jpg

Not enough I say.

This industry has transformed and evolved in so many ways since it began. Generations later, and yet this primitive little sticker continues to torment us. It’s 2017 and the best solution for security and advertisement somehow still remains this disgusting, glue-y piece of laminated paper and plastic.

Will things change? Probably not, considering how cheap and easy it is to slap the grubby little thing on.

Do you have sticker stories to share? Pictures to display and lament over? You can share them.

We are all victims here.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You think stickers are bad, remember magazines with posters inside of them? Way too much trouble to get out without damaging it, those metal staplers and sometimes glue... I rather get Japanese wall scrolls :glare:

Taffy

jdfiehgvrhfvhfjkvgrjhfejvgrjkbjvr
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I was a wee little boy, I didn't give a crap. I was just thinking

"newgamenewgamenewgamenewgamenewgamenewgamenewgamenewgamenewgamenewgame MUST PLAAAAAAYYYY!!!!"

OH WAIT

One of my hobbies is modifying nerf guns and sometimes Hasbro puts stickers in the most annoying places. You can NEVER get the damn things off and they always leave sticky goo or a huge ugly tear on the gun and it makes me sad :(

Reactions: Deleted User

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I don't get why they don't wrap it in plastic and then put stickers on top of the wrap. Would seem a complete no brainer. Or at least for the non security stickers they could use easily remove able ones.

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thank god I live in Scotland where no game store does this apart from CEX. Every store has dummy boxes on display and when you take it to the counter to buy they get you a copy of the game from the stock room that has had nothing stuck to it. They even do that with second hand games.

RadioShadow

Trophies
XP
Country
To give CEX some credit, their stickers come off really easily. I bought Banjo-Kazooie for £20 (box was in really good condition) which had two large stickers on. I peeled them off with ease, and no damage to the box.

Last edited by RadioShadow,

jimmyj

Official founder of altariaism. Copyright jimmyj
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The fondest memories I carry in my years of gaming lie in the excitement of scouring shelves and pouring over box art to find what caught my young adolescent eyes. Running up and down aisles of Blockbuster and Toys R Us admiring the vibrant visuals and reading every small back of the box blurb to see what I might be taking home with me that day.

Many of us share similar memories. The long car ride home that was sometimes satiated by ripping the box open and staring at the manual that games still bothered to pack in with the disc or cartridge. Running inside and jumping right into a brand-new experience without a care in the world. Nostalgia at its finest.

The hours go by. The entertainment settles. The time comes to put the game back, maybe to play something else, maybe because you dislike leaving games in their system. And you find yourself face to face with one of two scenarios.

The wonderfully clean and vibrant box that you were given in its pristine and unblemished glory.

These unwavering insults to a collector’s eyes have existed practically since games have existed. The retail sticker and the security seal have ruined painstakingly crafted title cards for generations now.

I’ll never forget the day I opened my copy of Pokémon Stadium. The giant box with the game transfer Pak inside and the gorgeous artwork on every face of this lovely little cube. At least, it had been gorgeous. Until it was ruined when my fingers attempted to open it and get to the game inside.

The rips, the tears, the glue riddled residue left behind is enough to make your mind crumble in on itself. Clumsy removal leads to your property, the thing you just spent your precious money on, being scarred for the rest of its existence.

I could maybe even understand the early days of games. The lack of regard for this new hobby of gaming and collection was surely just ignorance on the retailers’ part. Yet here we stand, nearly three decades later and I still have to look at this collector’s edition with a damn sticker slapped over the only way to open it.

We are still dealing with stickers all over our gorgeous new systems and toys.

We have YouTube videos dedicated to painstaking sticker removal. We have highly detailed wiki-how’s describing every possible method to remove them. It’s the equivalent of game collecting surgery. All these precise methods of scraping, heating, and praying that the thing comes off and leaves no trace of its damned existence.

How many classic Nintendo boxes have had to suffer rips and tears thanks to these stickers? How many collectors have cried themselves to sleep at night over the giant blemish they know will never truly leave the pretty box they have on their shelf? How much more can I dramatize this issue?

Not enough I say.

This industry has transformed and evolved in so many ways since it began. Generations later, and yet this primitive little sticker continues to torment us. It’s 2017 and the best solution for security and advertisement somehow still remains this disgusting, glue-y piece of laminated paper and plastic.

Will things change? Probably not, considering how cheap and easy it is to slap the grubby little thing on.

Do you have sticker stories to share? Pictures to display and lament over? You can share them.

We are all victims here.
lol you're at cex. I go there too

RedBlueGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Luckily i never had that problem with any of my games since i Always took them off instantly as soon as i got home and i still do to this day
If you buy a used game it's a lot worse. Especially when they use those big ass stickers like EB Games and GameStop use. There are some local pawn shops around here that have used and new games but use those little price stickers you'd see on something at a grocery store.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Not enough I say.

We are all victims here.

Oh my gosh. Too many stickers on an Europe Super Nintendo Classic Mini. I have an Europe version and no sticker on it at all.

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
If you buy a used game it's a lot worse. Especially when they use those big ass stickers like EB Games and GameStop use. There are some local pawn shops around here that have used and new games but use those little price stickers you'd see on something at a grocery store.
Well there aren't any secondhand shops here. Everybody usually sells them online so no stickers are ever used. And the few shops that are here don't sell snes, n64, nes games so it's all plastic

Last edited by kumikochan,
P

pasc

Well... collecting games seems to be nice... then again, since I moved quite frequently from place to place I prefer to dump whatever game
(*looking at you 3DS...*) and selling the hardcopy... game boxes aren't heavy, but bulky.
The only exception for me in that regard are GBA-Accessories... And even there I don't keep the original boxarts, other than scanning them and saving them as a jpg on my Dropbox..

While it always has a cool feel to it, watching the AVGN f.e. gazing upon his basement's glorious collection, I cannot see wanting that, too much wasted space
(and the GBA Boxes were made from pasteboard you could easily stash away...).

On the sticker thing:
Yup: They do suck. For collectors I guess. Shame there was so little incentive to fixing that in a better way.

Last edited by ,

SirNapkin1334

Renound Aritst
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean, on plastic disc cases like Wii & U, the stickers aren't that big of a deal since, as long as you're careful and don't rip it, it's pretty to get off, but on cardboard cases? A nightmare.

RedBlueGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I mean, on plastic disc cases like Wii & U, the stickers aren't that big of a deal since, as long as you're careful and don't rip it, it's pretty to get off, but on cardboard cases? A nightmare.
Even on plastic cases an older sticker can rip quite easily even if you're careful. Especially with used games or things that have been on the shelf for a while.

DocKlokMan

Plugin Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just recently I tried to order a new copy of Skyrim for the Switch on GameStops website because I had a $60 gift card. Three times my order was mysteriously canceled and after the forth just failed to update with any shipping info after days, I relented and went into my local store. Of course, the only copies they had were opened with their large price sticker on it. I bought it anyway because as much as I hate this practice (which literally no other realtor does with new games) I was pretty sure I could get the sticker off without leaving residue or stretching the plastic film on the case. So I purchase the game at the register and after putting the game in the case, the employee puts yet another clear sticker over the opening of the case. While I was able to remove the price sticker alright, removing the clear sticker over the opening scarred the plastic lining on the case. I was so upset as all my other Switch game cases were in pristine condition. I eventually ended up buying replacement Switch game cases from Nintendo's website and moving the case insert and game over to a fresh case when they came in. Still an unacceptable practice today, if something is brand new, don't mess with it.

w!!

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did anyone else open this thinking it was going to be about collecting folders and notebooks of various character stickers, scratch n' sniff stickers, etc.... that you don't get anymore because they are cheaply made and not packaged with stuff anymore? But yes, stickers in this regard suck too.

Zabhahs

Goron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i painstakingly removed stickers from my gamecube games, and even printed out a new cover for one that i had ripped under the plastic cover trying to remove the sticker. It looks fine now but i still wonder, why gamestop why UNDER the plastic? howd they even do it?!

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
A very nice article. I'm personally not a collector in the slightest, so most of the physical cases I do have still have some stickers on them, but I get the annoyance. I mean...if video game covers are art (and I sense many here see it that way), then the act basically comes down to this sh**:
mona lisa preowned.jpg

...and I don't think many classic art lovers would like this sort of practice. ;-)

Wait, how are you supposed to know if it's faulty and should be refunded if you can't open the box and check?
I remember asking a store cleric this exact same question when he wouldn't refund my copy of Super Street Fighter 2 turbo. I must've been 11-14 or something at that time. :P

I know now that I should've pushed further, but I really wasn't assertive enough back then. So in the end I just pirated the game.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkYA4rALqEE