Hacking defective, battery-eating EZ Flash IV microsd board pictures

romanaOne

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could someone who has a working 2014 microsd EZ Flash IV cart look at these pictures and see if there is anything obviously different/broken about this cart compared to their own?

This cart drains a CR2032 to 0V in just a few weeks. I got it used on eBay and it had a CR2032 stuffed into it with the tabs unsoldered.

Attachments

• top.jpg
    top.jpg
    367.2 KB · Views: 654
  • bottom.jpg
    bottom.jpg
    446.4 KB · Views: 510

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If I need to get the microscope out I will but for now can we try a camera shot of mine
ez4_micro_sdhc_pcb_battery_side.JPG
Around the negative of yours does not look great but it is also not in focus so I can't tell much. A short there does look like it would result in what you are seeing
There is a diode on the battery side. It is the smallest little black device in the column of devices next to the battery. Mine has an 8 or a B and three bars on the battery side. I can't quite make out yours in the picture but it looks like it is in the same orientation. The only other directional device that side appears next to the plus and has T4 and three bars on the + side

The back of yours looks OK. The right hand chip is the SRAM chip and while a short could happen anywhere I would start there. I would look more carefully at the pins next to R11.
Everything else on the back should not be directional.

romanaOne

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I soldered a new, tabbed battery first because I don't have a microscope to check out those pins near R11. About a month later it was dead again.
I guess I need to get a microscope to check out those teeny weeny pins.

Just for fun, I decided to measure the current.
I connected a meter and a couple of NiMH batteries (all in series, I still remember high school physics....)

Well it looks the cart is using around 200 microamps just sitting on the table. Is this number reasonable? Let's say the coin cell had 150 mAh:

(0.150 Ah) / (2x10^-4 A) = 750 h

750/24 = 31 days

So yeah that's about how long the battery lasted.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: how are you doing @K3Nv2