Developer interview reveals details about Dissidia NT, including a DLC season pass.

20180109_095750_thumb.jpg
In a recent interview which appeared in the weekly Famitsu magazine with Dissidia Final Fantasy producer Ichiro Hazama and director Takeo Kujiraoka, it was revealed that there is a season pass planned for the upcoming PS4 title. It will include a total of 6 unique DLC fighters, which the developers plan to release at a rate of roughly one character every two months. There has been no announcement of pricing as of this time, nor exactly which characters are planned to be included.

The developers admitted difficulty in trying to provide engaging story content relating to every character, and not just the main heroes, with such a large roster, but said that this is something they wanted to buff out with content updates like this.

The interview reveals quite a bit more about the game aside from DLC, though, covering things like timeline position of the narrative and possible future events.

There is apparently an official narrative continuity throughout the PSP games, this one, and the arcade version, in that order. The developers have teased that the opening cinematic of the arcade version will make more sense once players experience the story of NT, and that the events of NT will clarify the cast's reasons for fighting in the arcade version.

The story draft was written by game supervisor Kazushige Nojima, (who was a scenario writer for many Final Fantasy games, including VII, VIII, and X) using a basis written by Saori Itamuro (Final Fantasy XV lead scenario designer, RPG planner for Dissidia Final Fantasy and Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy).

Efforts were made to flesh out the characters' dialogue in ways that developed them beyond the tropes and standards set in their respective titles.

An arcade event known as 'The Battle of Gods' will not be appearing for the PS4 version, but the developers would like to add special events like it for NT in the future.

Disconnecting during an online battle will count as an automatic loss, with harsher consequences being considered for those who disconnect intentionally.

Dissidia Final Fantasy NT is set to release in Japan tomorrow the 11th, and the 30th for America and Europe.

Just as a reminder, Dissidia NT's open beta begins January 12th and runs through to the 21st. Anyone with a PS4 should be able to navigate to the listing on the PS storefront and download it directly.

:arrow: Source - original interview (Japanese)

Last edited by Meteor7,

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why do they need to bother with story on a game like this? It's like when Nintendo gave us that failed story attempt in Smash on the Wii. Just give us a beat-em-up with our favorite FF chars as they've done, no need to muddy the waters.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why do they need to bother with story on a game like this? It's like when Nintendo gave us that failed story attempt in Smash on the Wii. Just give us a beat-em-up with our favorite FF chars as they've done, no need to muddy the waters.
I enjoyed subspace emissary mode, and what story, aliens capture the characters and turn them into trophies? No one says anything is just a bunch of animated cutscenes, and is very short at best, is hardly a story to the game. It has variety in levels and how it plays as opposed to just beating people up. They expanded the adventure mode from the melee into a actual fun action platformer mixing various nintendo legacy content together in one.

I agree not all games need a epic story, sonic a prime example, but is final fantasy, the title is basically always focused on a story. Mega man games had simple stories that got too complicated that they made rpg games out of them, those games didn't need a story, just beat wily or sigma and that's it. Now final fantasy is a rpg turned into arena fighter that plays kinda like Dead or Alive and still gonna have a epic story. :P

i just played dissidia on PSP it's really cool..... even better with mods
Where do I find these mods? :unsure:

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
they shoulda added Zack, Angeal and Genesis
I was gonna say they'd make a good DLC addition, but I can't help but see Zack and Angeal as Cloud clones they would need to make them unique somehow
Genesis would probably stand out more since he has that red mage appeal to his swordsmanship

gameboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was gonna say they'd make a good DLC addition, but I can't help but see Zack and Angeal as Cloud clones they would need to make them unique somehow
Genesis would probably stand out more since he has that red mage appeal to his swordsmanship

they shouldnt be locked dlc, thy should be on the disc on released. crisis core was an action game while ff7 moves are based on limit breaks so i dont see how theyre 'clones'

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
they shouldnt be locked dlc, thy should be on the disc on released. crisis core was an action game while ff7 moves are based on limit breaks so i dont see how theyre 'clones'
I think you misread me Im speaking in terms of character not the games they were in. Zack, Angeal, and Cloud are all Buster sword users that would most likely use the same if not similar attacks

T-hug

Always like this.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
GBAtemp.net
XP
So I played the beta for a few hours yesterday, and I'm just not liking it. Doesn't feel fun to play at all.
Shame because I was moderately hyped for NT but will probably get MonHun now instead.

Meteor7

Guess where this thumb goes.
OP
Trophies
a fit of spasms and accidental black magic
XP
Country
United States
So I played the beta for a few hours yesterday, and I'm just not liking it. Doesn't feel fun to play at all.
Shame because I was moderately hyped for NT but will probably get MonHun now instead.
I feel like I'm in a similar boat. I watched a lengthy stream of it yesterday, and I was frankly shocked with the decisions they made. Where you used to have a pool of more HP attacks than you could even equip for many characters, now each has exactly one that they can equip at any time. No more directional inputs for HP attacks. Additionally, Brave->HP chains no longer exist, but they felt the need to make wall-rush->HP attacks a true combo now, meaning the meta has shifted violently towards pinning your opponent against a wall for guaranteed damage. Furthermore, the 3v3 free-for-all nature of the combat system makes being ganged up on and having your combos interrupted by off-screen attacks a frequent issue, just like I anticipated when the first footage was released.

It isn't as though there'd be no way to remedy this, either, I think. If there were and on-screen indicator of an incoming attack or approaching opponent, the opacity of which indicated their distance from you, and you had a radial "repel" attack that you could trigger mid-combo which would reset your attack chain (extending your combo) only if it hit an opponent you weren't targeting who was trying to surprise rush you, then the mechanic might end up somewhat balanced. In that instance, an opponent would need to be sure that they'd be able to catch you off guard with their attacks, otherwise they'd be giving you and advantage if you parried, while simultaneously giving the player any form of agency in defending against outside interlopers. If you mistime the repel, you'll be hit, your attacks interrupted, and the tables of that micro-skirmish turned. If you succeed, then your combo gets extended. It's something similar to the red-counters that were used in Tales of Hearts/Innocence R. There's no option for 1v1 combat, either; it's either play a chaotic 3v3 match or play a different game, scrub.

I was baffled at just how many combat and customization options they decided to cut away, and just how poorly the new elements worked in the game. I don't have an up-to-date PS4, so I was never going to be able to play the game anyways, but I'm still disappointed. Dissidia worked so well in its time, and since I feel it's a bit dated and clunky to return to (especially that camera) I think a sequel which further builds on and refines the established mechanics would be absolutely perfect. Instead, it looks like they've thrown the baby out with the bathwater and stripped so many facets of combat away, while introducing mechanics which just plain don't work.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    A @ anotherthing: The Nintendo servers are going down in 9 days anyway.