• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Did you vote?

Did you vote?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No - not planning/can't...

• Not yet - I'm off to vote

• I can't...but I'll say my vote below.

• Total voters

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Drift Monkey said:
BlueStar said:
Drift Monkey said:
My only point was that the bailout transferred the debt onto the American taxpayers...so I wouldn't see why foreigners would be against it...

And forced us to nationalise the debts of many our banks as well. Us pesky foreigners have certainly not done well out of the global finacial crisis, bail out or not.
To get to the true root of this though...it's because of a failed economic system as a whole. The Federal Reserve is killing the dollar daily...and the people are standing by and letting it.

And yet recently the dollar has gone from lower than I can remember (edit, lower than it's ever been during my lifetime) against the pound to higher than we've seen for ages. Which is an enormous ball-ache for me, because I've been used to buying stuff off the internet at an exchange rate of 2 dollars to the pound and now stuff seems to cost me a fortune instead of being cheap as chips.

Drift Monkey

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Szyslak said:
Just got back from voting a little while ago. Gonna go relax and have a beer and watch states turn red and blue. Damn I miss Tim Russert.
frown.gif
I would have voted for him in a heartbeat.

@Drift Monkey & Jiggah: You guys should just chill for everyone's benefit. You aren't that far apart, and you're sounding like the two drunk guys in a college bar having the same philosophical argument that's been rehashed thousands of times on those very barstools. We get it.
I am that drunk college guy!
ph34r.gif

BlueStar said:
Drift Monkey said:
BlueStar said:
QUOTE(Drift Monkey @ Nov 5 2008, 01:26 AM) My only point was that the bailout transferred the debt onto the American taxpayers...so I wouldn't see why foreigners would be against it...

And forced us to nationalise the debts of many our banks as well. Us pesky foreigners have certainly not done well out of the global finacial crisis, bail out or not.
To get to the true root of this though...it's because of a failed economic system as a whole. The Federal Reserve is killing the dollar daily...and the people are standing by and letting it.

And yet recently the dollar has gone from lower than I can remember (edit, lower than it's ever been during my lifetime) against the pound to higher than we've seen for ages. Which is an enormous ball-ache for me, because I've been used to buying stuff off the internet at an exchange rate of 2 dollars to the pound and now stuff seems to cost me a fortune instead of being cheap as chips.
Honestly, I didn't know it hit you guys that hard. The ripples really can be felt far off. A shame.
frown.gif

I'm not all that educated in the UK's economics...but is the pound gold based or fiat? Do you use a central bank?

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Drift Monkey said:
BlueStar said:
Drift Monkey said:
BlueStar said:
Drift Monkey said:
My only point was that the bailout transferred the debt onto the American taxpayers...so I wouldn't see why foreigners would be against it...

Honestly, I didn't know it hit you guys that hard. The ripples really can be felt far off. A shame.
frown.gif

I'm not all that educated in the UK's economics...but is the pound gold based or fiat? Do you use a central bank?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pound_sterling
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bank_of_England

Probably more than you'd ever want to know!

Drift Monkey

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BlueStar said:
Remembering back to the history of American Revolution....I do remember one of the primary reasons the colonists felt wronged by England and a primary reason why there was a revolution: they were unable to use their own money and were forced to borrow money to use from the Central Bank of England at interest. Funny how we find ourselves in the same damn situation over 2 centuries later...it's really due time for a new revolution...

MystikEkoez

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Op, it went down to 183 vs 81.

EDIT: DAMN changed to 163 vs 81.
What they're doing is assuming certain state's votes and merging them with confirmed votes.

MystikEkoez

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Obama has basically just won as he has just acquired Ohio, there are no possible routes for McCain to win.
It's game over for McCain.

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
juggernaut911 said:
It is impossible for McCain?

I would vote McCain

Pretty much. He needed to win all Bush states, which he has lost OH and NM now according to MSNBC. OH is damaging in that it's 20 electoral votes.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs