Hardware dim top screen even at 5 brightness. weak(ening) lcd?

renowijoyo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
mine is a dual ips setting with a rather disappointing 'warm' color calibration to them. i bought it 2nd-hand. it's a LL unit but identified as US (XL) machine (CFW). it's my first 3ds ever and it plays great, no complains. that is until i saw other 3ds-es and began to suspect that my screen is not as bright as all of them. I had to confirm my suspicion and went to a local game store to compare my unit. did the comparison with several old 3ds xl (all they have is the old version) and true enough, my dual ips new 3ds ll/xl at full brightness setting is dimmer.
at 1/5 : nearly identical brightness
at 2/5 : still hard to spot the difference
at 3/5 : the old xl TN panel starts to shows that white radiation light. but i'd still say they have the same brightness
at 4/5 : this is where the gap starts to widen. the old xl's brightness jumps several steps while my new 3ds ips still doing the same increment as before
at 5/5 : at this point the old xl's can be for some people 'too bright'. my new xl is not even as bright as the old at 4

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Turn off Auto-Brightness setting in HOME Menu Settings if you have it on. That varies light level depending on how dark it is from where you play that the camera sees.

renowijoyo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
I've had 1 xl and 2 of the smaller versions. They're all pretty dim.
I have 1 XL and 1 standard. both are dual IPS and the standard is noticeably brighter back light. at first i thought it's due to the XL has a larger area to lit. but i've seen other XL's as bright as my standard n3ds

Mikemk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, maybe yours is overly dim. I find all of them too dim compared to, say, a DS Lite or smartphone.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i already knew about that option and i have always set it disabled

Try looking into running Boot NTR CFW. It is capable of adjusting screen brightness. Most people use it to make there screens dimmer than level 1. I don't know if anyone runs their screens brighter, but there are some users who write their own plugins to fine tune control their screens. Try asking and requesting if someone there can tailor you a plugin.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Did you pee in the water