DISCLAIMER - READ THIS BEFORE POSTING

Discussion in 'World News, Current Events & Politics' started by Costello, Jan 11, 2018.

1. ThoD

ThoD GBATemp Maniac (apparently), but more like "bored"

Sep 8, 2017
    Greece
    If a blog starts a bad idea, allowing only people who agree to it gather is how cults and conflict squads start...

Yup, now we don't need to watch TV to lose faith in humanity, temp has it too!\:P/

smileyhead likes this.
  2. Subtle Demise

Subtle Demise h

Sep 17, 2009
    United States
    I was waiting for this section to show up, instead of relying on making a blog post and hoping it doesn't get deleted or have the comments locked. It's nice to be able to create a somewhat controversial thread and see how many people agree with you and what the differing opinions are like.

Thanks @Costello for adding a forum section where adults should be able to talk about some of the more important things in life.

ThoD and Costello like this.
  3. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Is a little world globe icon next to this post now. Lol, is cool. :lol:

4. Xexyz

Xexyz GBATemp's™ Official Xexyz

Jul 29, 2013
    United States
    沖縄県
    Does this ever happen? Ever?

ThoD likes this.
  5. brickmii82

brickmii82 GBAtemp Fan

Feb 21, 2015
    United States
    I like this. Do you think a post count requirement would help weed out trolls?

6. SG854

SG854 Happiness

Feb 17, 2017
    Jamaica
    This is why people come to temp. It's because its not just games. You diversify and you have other reasons to come here.

You mean a number of posts required before you can post in a world news forum?

7. linuxares

linuxares GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 5, 2007
    Can't I just look outside the window? ;)

8. Localhorst86

Localhorst86 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 17, 2014
    Germany
    My Nintendo works for Dad
    Unless we are the ones starting it... Always act first as to not be suprised by the enemy.
    Imagine the worldwide confusion when the first reports of an internet forum invading Liechtenstein are surfacing...

9. brickmii82

brickmii82 GBAtemp Fan

Feb 21, 2015
    United States
    Hmmm.... that does sound kinda bad doesn’t it lol. Maybe the opposite like the EOF? I’m just trying to figure out how we can keep our new shiny toy... shiny?!?

ThoD likes this.
  10. SG854

SG854 Happiness

Feb 17, 2017
    Jamaica
    I don't know what you mean by opposite like EOF.
    Staff already moderates and removes useless posts that are off topic.

The problem is some people don't know how to handle debate. They see an opposing thought and immediately think its shit talking.
    I had people tell me before to not fight. But none of the stuff I said was anger or an attack. Lots of non verbal gets lost on the internet.
    Tone of voice is gone. Something that is very level headed and calm sounding if I say it in person, will come off as anger on the Internet.

11. brickmii82

brickmii82 GBAtemp Fan

Feb 21, 2015
    United States
    Posts don’t go toward post count in the EOF. I get what you’re saying though.

12. AsPika2219

AsPika2219 Pikachu going beach!

Jun 17, 2010
    Malaysia
    Cats City
    Nice! New subforum for real world news! Doesn't better was war news, weather news, sports news, science news etc...

13. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron
    gamesquest1 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    -EDIT-

guess I will see how this goes, but honestly I don't like how much the world is self filtering, sometimes people can have a harsh opinion on stuff, that's good, not everyone should be the same, and I like that people exist who just straight up shit talk.....I might not like it at the time when it happens to me, but in the long run I come to see its value even if I still disagree in the long run, tone and manner allow people to gauge how important stuff is to people, when everything is just a civil debate the real argument can be lost in the mild tone of it all

Last edited by gamesquest1, Jan 11, 2018
  14. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    Oh, a new subforum !

It's not like we created a new section for users to start talking about world events.
    It was already present in offtopic section, and it just now has been categorized.

it's not because there's a section that users will act differently than when it was posted in offtopic. Nothing prevented users to talk about it either.
    threads already exist, they already have legit and civilized (or less civilized) comments in them. nothing different, really.

Personally, I rarely watch TV and don't browse other websites. I often learn worlds even from GBATemp. I find it nice that users are interesting in talking about many different subject, not only video games.

15. 330

330 GBAtemp Regular

Nov 20, 2017
    Antarctica
    Comfy nest
    Were the threads moved manually? I've seen some great threads all the way back to 2006 (which I didn't reply to not necrobump, but some were very nice). That's a lot of effort! Kudos to whoever did it :)

But if it was done automatically, well, it's still nice to have a new section on where to discuss more serious stuff!

16. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    yes, it's done manually. (I didn't, I just discovered it today)
    if not there yet, you can report the one you find, we will move them.
    there are so many, we might miss them when browsing the offtopic section page per page :P

330 likes this.
  17. supergamer368

supergamer368 i play too much n64

May 22, 2016
    United States
    somewhere
    Get this section an icon, it doesn’t look right with all the other recent content having icons for their sections and then this is blank.

18. DinohScene

DinohScene Temp's most beloved homosexual

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    I do share the same thing with you.

I don't watch television, don't read newspapers and don't visit newssites.
    I as well learn of world events here on GBAtemp.

19. CallmeBerto

CallmeBerto The "Lone Wanderer"

GBAtemp Patron
    CallmeBerto is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 1, 2017
    United States
    USA
    I like the idea. I mean it's going to turn into a shit show once the odd-balls come through but I can appreciate the thought.

DarthDub likes this.
  20. Costello
    OP

Costello Headmaster

Administrator
    Oct 24, 2002
    there is an icon my friend, but you need a cache refresh to see it

supergamer368 and CallmeBerto like this.